Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Judge denies atheist couple a chance at parenthood

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by smee, Aug 28, 2009.

1. This shit makes my blood boil, what a presumptuous tosspot.

After six years of childless marriage, John and Cynthia Burke of Newark decided to adopt a baby boy through a state agency. Since the Burkes were young, scandal-free and solvent, they had no trouble with the New Jersey Bureau of Children's Services—until investigators came to the line on the application that asked for the couple's religious affiliation.
    John Burke, an atheist, and his wife, a pantheist, had left the line blank. As a result, the bureau denied the Burkes' application. After the couple began court action, however, the bureau changed its regulations, and the couple was able to adopt a baby boy from the Children's Aid and Adoption Society in East Orange.
    Last year the Burkes presented their adopted son, David, now 3 1/2, with a baby sister, Eleanor Katherine, now 17 months, whom they acquired from the same East Orange agency. Since the agency endorsed the adoption, the required final approval by a judge was expected to be pro forma. Instead, Superior Court Judge William Camarata raised the religious issue.
    Inestimable Privilege. In an extraordinary decision, Judge Camarata denied the Burkes' right to the child because of their lack of belief in a Supreme Being. Despite the Burkes' "high moral and ethical standards," he said, the New Jersey state constitution declares that "no person shall be deprived of the inestimable privilege of worshiping Almighty God in a manner agreeable to the dictates of his own conscience." Despite Eleanor Katherine's tender years, he continued, "the child should have the freedom to worship as she sees fit, and not be influenced by prospective parents who do not believe in a Supreme Being."
    The Burkes are now living in Carterville, Ill., near Southern Illinois University, where John Burke has worked for the past year as a speech pathologist. Nevertheless, Judge Camarata ordered the parents to send David's sister back to the New Jersey adoption agency. Two weeks ago, aided by the American Civil Liberties Union, the Burkes appealed directly to the New Jersey Supreme Court, which agreed to hear the case. If they fail in their appeal, Eleanor Katherine may have to leave the only family she has ever known and await adoption by another couple whose religious convictions satisfy the State of New Jersey.
  2. Unbelieveable in this day and age, just the stupidity of the judicial system, imposing themselves om=n a happy family, what now, send the kid to someone who ticks mormon, so they can be sent to a man with 3 other wives at age 12?? they believe in god

Extreme example i know, but it happens in america and they are a recognised religion
    Judges should just rubber stamp the paperwork and butt out if all is good
  3. ffs.

way to pass judgement and assume the role of your creator, Judge Douche
  4. Words can't express..... :evil:
  5. Have to do a little snooping, but I *believe* this case was from 1970... so not exactly 'this day and age'.
  6. Heh, not much snooping required, check the byline in the link in the OP.
  7. haha
    way to ruin the sensationalism with facts :grin:
  8. So it is
    ah well lock it up then this is a bit embarrassing :) :-w :bolt: 8-[ :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
  9. It's all good, it's been going around a bit - and if it had happened now it would be every bit as horrifying as you say. People can say what they like about living now and the decline of society and whatever else, but I'm pretty happy to be alive now, and this is only one of the reasons.
  10. While not quite so public, this shit still happens, and not just in the US.
  11. 1970, wow, would have been interesting in 1970's america to see the outcome if they had of filled in the religous box with anything but a christian denomination, i am sure muslims and the like would have had just as hard a time adopting back then as atheists. Still my outrage wasn't because of them having to be religous, It was from the idea that if you weren't religous you were unfit to be a parent, oh well all ancient history i hope
  12. I'm not defending this stupid old decision, but I'd be interested in you substantiating this claim, please :roll:

While not quite so public, this shit still happens, and not just in the US.

And Wayne, you might want to edit your sig :rofl:.
  13. This is the funniest stuff-up I've read on the internet for months!
  14. The internet is a bit of a time capsule sometimes. Interesting nonetheless, 1970 wasn't that long ago. It warms my heart thinking how far we can come in another 40 years. :grin: :p
  15. 1970 wasn't that long ago

more than 50% of Netriders weren't born 40 years ago

there was no internet 40 years ago

there was no colour TV 40 years ago

THIS [​IMG]

was a performance motorcycle 40 years ago

need I go on???
  16. This is a broad statement. Any facts to support this?
  17. And this is a performance motorcycle of 60 years ago.
    the Vincent Black Shadow..a 998cc V twin with a top speed of 125 MPH.
    I'm a great enthusiest of classic bike racing and I can tell you that some these older machines still get up and "boogie" extremely well.

18. Actually, he's wrong anyway. The performance motorcycle of 40 years ago was THIS..

1969 Honda 750/4
  19. disc brakes!! gasp!
  20. And let's not forget the 1969 Kawasaki 750 H1 Mach 111.
    A bullet on wheels in its day and still a fast machine today.