Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Joining Instructions

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by hornet, Aug 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi there
    When I joined the Army many hundreds of years ago, one of the things that made it marginally easier was several pages of what was called "Joining Instructions". These pages told us what we could and couldn't do, where we could and couldn't go, and who to salute. They made the transition smoother, and a lot less scary.

First of all, we want you to feel welcome at Netrider. And Netrider will be a whole lot more fun if you know how it works. Of course, if you're familiar with how a phpBB forum works, you can cut straight to somewhere that's caught your interest and dive straight in. For the rest of you, read on.....

Individual Forum Areas
    The forum is like a tree with lots of branches, each bearing different fruit. You may want to sample them all, or just spend most of your time on one. That's your choice. The categories, or individual fora, have very self-explanatory names.

Announcements and News, for example, is about "Official Netrider Announcement and News Items". The administrators use this area to indulge their abuse of power to write nice things about themselves. Needless to say, most of us don't go there, because we don't want to encourage them.

Racing, MotorSports and Track days is likewise self-explanatory.

Before you post anything, have a quiet think about the most appropriate forum in which to post it. It's worth doing that because more people who are interested in it will see it if it's in the right place. But more importantly, you'll spare yourself the pain of having a grumpy moderator shift it to the more appropriate place, and you not being able to find it when you go back to survey your masterpiece.

Most of all, avoid what we call "General Discussion Dumping"; posting anything and everything in the General Discussion forum. This is a bit like tipping a file ino the top drawer of a filing cabinet and hoping it will find its way to the Ls by gravity. It won't happen, and the Administrators get REALLY grumpy about general discussion dumping.

Ts and Cs
    The dreaded Terms and Conditions. No-one forces you to come here, but we're delighted that you have. No-one will force you to go, either, but like any big family (there are thousands of us here) there needs to be a few rules and regulations to guard against an outbreak of anarchy, We call them the Terms and Conditions.

Here they are; https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2813

Please take a minute or two to read them through and think about their implications.

If you post something you should not, or get a thread or a post removed, you will be told that it is because you have breached the Ts&Cs, and the fact that you haven''t read them will not count at all!

Search is your best friend as you navigate the labrynth of Netrider. It's up there at the top of the page next to FAQs. Experiement with it. Search for the name and model of your bike, for example, and see how many 'hits' you get. (If its a Honda CBR-250RR, hit search and go away and make a coffee....)

New Netriders are usually one of two types of people. They are either new-to-bikes people, or older riders, who've been riding for many decades, or who have come back to bikes after getting rid of their kids! Netrider caters for both, and welcomes both.

If you're entirely new, bear with us old geezers are we blather on about bikes they stopped building before you were born.

If you're an old exprienced rider, rememeber that you, too, was once a wide-eyed excited tyro, asking the local mechanic endless simple questions. That's what we're here for; to give the next generation the same short-cuts our mentors gave us.

Your profile can be as little information as you want to give, or as much as you are allowed. Just bear in mind that if you post a question like; "Hi, I'm new and I want buy my first bike.", someone's going to ask "Where are you from?" so as to know what dealer you should visit, or what type of bike you are allowed to buy depending on state or territory regulations. So please, tell us how old you are, and tell us where you live, at least.

If you've read this far, you have passed the first test in belonging to Netrider! Congratulations, and welcome..... Let the fun begin.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Nice stuff Hornet!!

In addition to the main terms and conditions there are also a few forums that rate thier own subset of guidelines and rules. Before posting in one of the individual forums its a wise move to check to see if there is a sticky thread at the top which outlines these. A couple to watch out for initially are the Events and For Sale forum posting requirements.

A few more tips are here at using some of the other features of netrider, like the links directory and the Articles which can been seen in the menu on the left (probably a little higher up the page)

A good place to start would be the New Riders and Riding Tips forum

And if you are thinking about getting into riding and are looking to get a handle on the big picture of what that means at least financially have a read here.
  3. :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
    Well done Paul!!!!
    Very well written, although some of your suggestions also belong in the jokes section :LOL:
  4. Flipper, I've never been too guilty of being too serious :grin:

Greg, sorry mate, I should have thought of that; (oh the stories I could tell too :LOL:)
  5. Well no-one told me that when I signed up! Better late than never....

Hornet, what a silly name for a bike,
    But he seems to be a guy we all like,
    Has a post count for all to aspire to,
    Comes from a place, nobody wants to retire to,
    Writes more words on here than you'll find in a book,
    Unless it's a comic, where we don't read, only look,
    Don't know enough about him to write any more,
    So this is enough, I'm out the door. :grin:
  6. You are indeed a man
    who is skilled
    In the art of the song

*Picks up plate of sushi*
  7. au contraire, my friend, anyone who's been here since March '05 would already have known that.

The thread was created when I was appointed as moderator for the Welcome Lounge, to give some general guidance to new people on the forum as to how to get the most enjoyment out of being here.

So, please, enjoy, and don't let my comments about myself get in the way of that... :).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.