Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Jobs in the industry?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by viramitch, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Does anyone know of any available job openings in the biking world? I've been looking into bike mechanics for some time but it seems like nowhere is hiring. Out of the months I've been looking I've managed to get one interview, which has obviously gotten me nowhere. :p

If anybody has any info on jobs around Melbourne/western suburbs it would be very much appreciated. I'm very keen to start working in this field.
  2. Have a look on SEEK, MyCareer and the other websites, that's where I have seen bike jobs in Melbourne.
    Also go into bike stores and talk to service managers about apprenticeships, sometimes the direct approach works.
  3. I've found all those job searching sites to be pretty unhelpful so far. I'll still be using them, but I won't really be expecting much from them.

The direct approach I think would likely be my best bet. I'll have to make some time for it sometime this week. Thanks mate
  4. It might pay to approach a group training provider like MEGT and see if they can place you in an apprenticeship.

Better if you're mature aged though. There are plenty of Government financial incentives for both employers and trainees if you can get on as an adult apprentice.
  5. I'm with BGT at the moment, I've not heard anything from them as of yet

I am only 19, hopefully I'll have a somewhat decent chance at getting a job if that's the case.
  6. That side of the game (mechanic) is not that easy to get into. usually it's kids that are semi sponsored or at least racing.
    Best bet is to turn up to the shops and keep turning up. If they see your serious and persistent they will give you a break.
    Tell them you will rag the bikes down on a Saturday morning for them.
    Point is you have to be known. And the way to be known is to put yourself out there and network.
    Staff in bikes shops roll over a fair bit. So there usually is plenty of jobs. It's just being known and in the right place at the right time.
  7. Ah I see, I'll be sure to put myself out there more and try and get myself known.

Thanks for the tips guys it's appreciated. :)