Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Jindy trip & packing the bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by mischiefmaka, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    This will be my first over nighter on the bike so im a little clueless when it comes to packing a bike and how to distribute the weight and how much weight is acceptable etc etc All the baggage will be on the back of my bike is that ok?

I have a little 250 ( pretty sure i wont have my new bike until after the ride* bummer) so how much weight can i safely carry?
    I have a 30 Lt tail pack and was thinking of attaching another bag to top of that and occy strapping the two together ? Ill have to travel light but there are just some things i cant live without haha

2. Not as much as this:

122_0905_02_z+bikes_of_burden+rose_parade.

More seriously, handling is affected by the way you load the bike up. There are a couple of basic rules:

1: You never need as much as you think you do.
    2: Arrange heavier things down low, in saddlebags or panniers if possible.
    3: Arrange things you need along the way on top, phone, sunburn cream, water etc.
    4: Tie things down securely and evenly across the bike.

As you are loading on the rear of the bike beware it will tend to make the front lighter, move the weight in close to your body rather than back over the duck tail. Load up before hand and do a quick run to check that you are know the handling differences and that is feels balanced.

As you are on a 250 it will be very affected by extra weight in comparison with larger bikes. I would try to keep your luggage weight below 10kg, and preferably below 7kg. :) Unless you are an elfin body type then you can have a bit more. ;)

Hope hat helps.

3. Pack as light as you can. Avoid taking anythnig bulky or too heavy. Its only a short trip so you really dont need much at all. If it wasn't for wet weather gear, all my stuff would fit under my rear seat.

4. :) Women have different priorities I am sure you have noticed Phizog ;)

5. will you wear leathers and boots all weekend?

6. if you can just pack a few things and really for a pub room overnighter you should need much, jeans & jumper, maybe spare t-shirt (if you are riding in leathers) maybe a pair of shoes to get out of race boots if you wear them (i have a mixed race touring boot that i normally wear so don't bother with shoes), toothbrush and paste, hydro pack, charger, camera's (CASH is king in small country towns) but all sort of depends on the weather too, other things i carry allen keys, multi tool pilers, duct tape and cable ties, both clear and tinted visor, as sometimes i have been know to plan routes that take a little longer then allowed for....umm thats it....

really there should be bugger all extra weight

7. Load everything you own as far back and as high as possible. This enables even the feeblest of motorcycles to wheelie on the throttle at every opportunity :wink:.

Seriously though, there is no real weight limit (within reason). After all, your bike was designed to carry a passenger and you'd have to be trying pretty hard to pack enough to reach the same weight as even a small passenger.

Loading anything on top of your tail pack probably isn't a good idea as you want to keep the weight as low down as possible. My own rule is that, unless carrying a passenger, bags, swags and anything not specifically designed for motorcycle use gets firmly bungeed across the pillion seat. Tank bags are very nice, but I've survived 20 years on bikes without owning one so I don't regard them as essential. My own favourite luggage accessory is a set of throw-over panniers (otherwise known as saddlebags). I've heard a few horror stories about them getting tangled in the back wheel, but used with care they offer a great deal of convenient carrying capacity. Depending on exhaust outlet position, they can get a bit warm (read "burning") as well, so again, caution is required.

For an overnight trip, I'd be unlikely, myself, to require more than a small backpack of stuff, as I've never been too bothered about staying in bike gear at my destination.

Dunno if I'm the best peron to be offering advice though, as I saw (and still see) nothing wrong with piling 100 kg of cement bags on the pillion of my old and worryingly brakeless MZ 250 and then ring-dinging my way at high speed through the Bristolian afternoon rush hour to get home before the rain soaked through the bags.

8. anyone need any spare tyres carried??

9. I had a small rear top-bag...probably 8 genuine litres. Coupled with a small backpack (think schoolbag size with decent straps and a small frame) I took everything I needed for a few nights away. In other words:

Spare clothes x 2 (shits/pants/jocks/socks)
    Toothbrush/paste
    Shaving gear
    Deoderant
    Phone & iPod
    Digital camera
    Uni textbooks & readings x 3

Plus some random stuff like chargers, chewing gum and sunnies. It would've all fit in the tail-pack if I hadn't had to take textbooks with me.

Seriously, there isn't much you need to take when it comes down to the line. Your toolkit should have a home on the bike really, and thats why I haven't included it on the list as it was in the bikes tail.

Cheers - boingk

10. LOL women don't pack like men pack...:cheeky:
    Even if im super anal about what goes in im still going to need the added extras.. :facepalm:
    Im fairly sure i can fit most my clothing and toiletries in my tail pack, so id need another bag for a pair of shoes, Pjs ( dont forget we are sharing rooms so i cant sleep in my birthday suit ) theres a pool so that means bathers and a sunhat lol....

Geez i better do a dry run and see if i can fit everything in, I hope the husband can make it, that way i can load him up with some of my stuff as he will travel light like you boys.

Stewy (y)thanks for the heads up on the clear Visor!!! if you hadn't mentioned it i probably would have forgotten to pack it.

yeah the tool kit sits under the seat so thats taken care of, actually ive possibly got enough room under the seat to put in a pair of shoes and some shampoo and conditioner...

11. Green with envy. All I can fit under my seat is a stick of 5 chewing gum without the foil wrapper.

Then again, My panniers, tailbag & tankbag more than compensate :D

BMW gear on a BMW bike, can't go wrong.

I'm hoping to pack everything into the tailbag.

Sneekers, jeans, couple of t-shirts, camera, clear visor, phone charger, wet weather pants & gloves, BT headset charger, toiletries bag and that should just about do me.

12. If you are still in our room you can sleep in your birthday suit. Seriously, it's OK.

However if you insist on packing unnecessary items like PJ's, I suggest you take some scissors and cut them down as much as possible to save on weight. :LOL:

Actually don't forget the ear plugs for Vic's snoring.

13. I do know what women take with them.
    Just put a trailer on the back of both your bikes,. You might get most of your gear in then, Hahahahahaha Hubby only has to take what he wears, its only 3 days, Hahahahahaha

14. Vic -u mentioned wet weather gear 8-[ I dont have any...Im assuming i should have something just incase, any suggestions on something i can get cheaply as a " make do item" that will fold up nice n small? as i have no plans on doing serious wet weather riding in the future i dont want to spend money on gear ill never really use.

Grey - PJS = maple leaf and 2 coconut shells \\:D/

Deadman- See if i was going away in the car you wouldnt be far wrong, but on the bike ahhhh my hair looks like crap, im not wearing make up and the clothes are standard riding gear with boots to match so its not like my appearance is ever going to great so i just quit while im ahead lol

Still will pack my hair straightener tho :biker:

15. as for wet weather gear a cheap rain throw over rain coat and pants you can find at aussie disposal for 30-40 bux a set, get some silcone and run on the inside along all the seams, that is the cheapest and will probably keep you drier then wet weather riding gear, what the riding gear offers is warmth and limit rain protection (but if the rain it heavy enough and for long enough you will get wet aswell, me personally i hate the shower suits/rain suits...if the textile jacket and pants get wet so be it.....i would wait for the week leading up to the trip and check the weather, if it looks like it might rain go grab a throw over kit

16. For those who use products such as Gearsack or Ventura luggage racks, if you place the bag so it sits over the seat it will achieve two things - bringing the weight forward, less likely to lighten the front end; and it will also protect it from water spray from the rear wheel.

17. +1

All I've ever owned, apart from my ancient, greasy Belstaff, is cheapo yellow plastic jackets and pants from workwear shops. 100% waterproof, hi-vis, last for years, cost peanuts and even a fat bastard like me can get ones big enough to go on over normal riding gear. I wouldn't even think about spending money on anything else.

I once scored a full set for 50p in a flood damage sale, which I thought was delightfully ironic for waterproofs.

18. I bought a rain coat from Kmart for $50-00 Totally water proof. after riding in the rain for hours on end. I was still totally dry. Jackaroo, out door gear,
    The pants I use are Rjays, also totally water proof, They came as a gift so I dont know how much.
    What ever you buy, Make sure the seams are lined and waterproofed,
    Also take your riding gear with you, so that the water proof gear fits over your normal riding dear. close fitting but not loose.

19. For the total sum of $80 I have a pair of Motodry pants and overcoat which kept me dry from Beechworth to Gippsland in torrential weather.

Gloves, however, is another story. I don't believe that there is a pair of bike gloves made that can keep your hands dry in that sort of weather. Even when half a can of that silicon spray crap is soaked into them...

20. Cheers for the tips, ill check some out a littlew closer to take off ;)