Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Jett Heated Vest - review

Discussion in 'Jackets' at netrider.net.au started by I Adore Vic, Jun 17, 2007.

1. I was lucky enough to win one of these in the Netrider competition. :p Lucky me :p cos it's certainly come in handy lately, what with the colder weather and all.

Before I got the vest I did a fair bit of cold, wet, windy weather riding (distances of 200km + sitting at 100kph...)and would have to pile on the layers, to the point where I'd have a singlet, two thermals, a woolen turtleneck, a Kathmandu microfibre jumper, neck warmer and my jacket, along with thermal daks, draggins and cordura pants over the top of them all....yet I'd still feel discomfort at the cold.

The first time I really got to test it out - and what a way to test it out - was on the trip up to Mt Hotham a few weeks back. (Bright to Mt Hotham). Rode up there at 10 at night in absolutely wet and freezing conditions - Gale force cross winds...ice particles shooting every which way...rain...frost...fog etc etc etc.

I wore the vest over a singlet and two long sleeved thermal tops. Bike jacket over the vest. Switched it to the highest setting (there are three settings on the vest) and it didn't take long to warm my back up, which in turned radiated heat right through my body. It prevented any 'stiffening' that can come with riding in cold temps, which was a good thing as I needed all my concentration on that wet, slippery, shiny black twisty freak of a freakin road.

I've found that much of the vest's effectiveness depends on what you're wearing underneath. A singlet and one or two thermal tops (two seems better) does the job. Anything more (tried wearing it over these and a woolen turtleneck) and the heat had trouble getting through to my back. Over thermals is the best. :)

Last weekend I wore it to and from Eden in wet, cold conditions. Once again the cold wasn't a bother...up until the trip back when the battery ran flat one hr from home. Rode through the dark in pouring down rain feeling every bit of the cold...actually, the cold hit harder than it ever had before cos I was so used to wearing the damn vest.

Fully charged, my battery will last about 6hrs on the lowest setting, 4/5 hrs on medium and about 3 hours on the highest setting. That's what I've found anyway.

This isn't a problem if you're not travelling for periods longer than that, but if it's a longer trip, you'll have to plan your use of it - switch it on at sundown...keep it at a lower setting etc.

The battery is a problem easily fixed though - I plan to get hold of a second 'back up' one.

The vest looks good, it's soft and comfy...and it's warm....duh. :LOL: If you find yourself affected by the cold, spend the $$ and go out and buy one of these. I wont leave home without mine...even for the 6km trip into Cowes. :oops: :LOL:

Oh yeah - It's also a good purchase just for doing odd stuff like going for a walk along the beach with my dog, or going and sitting outside on the verandah at night. :) I can't wait to take it with me when I go out on the ship. I can even picture me wearing it to the GP later this year - lounging back at Siberia - feeling like I'm in Hawaii. :cool:

All up I rate it 5 out of 5. :)

[​IMG]

More info on the vest can be found here: http://www.jett.us.com/heat_vest_complete.htm

2. I was looking at these, seems like a good idea, but I don't ride enough in the extreme cold to make it worth while.

By the way, with a smile like that, you should be a model! :grin:

3. Pssst look at the website the photo is from there! :wink:

4. smee stop ruining peoples fantasies :LOL:

nice write up rosie, might concider looking in 2 one myself after reading and article in australian road rider, about riding in cold conditions and its effect and how you shouldnt just HTFU

5. :LOL: yeah sorry muppeteer - that's not me. :p :) haha...

Hey James - I totally recommend you get one. Makes riding in the cold more bearable. I haven't yet read that article..sounds interesting. I find my body is much more relaxed when I wear the vest - and relaxed is always a good thing. :) :) :)

6. bwahahahhaha. Thats Gold.

You know, throughout all my photography studies, they always suggested that we pose the models with their heads slightly angled.

That much tilt makes her look like a window licker ;)

7. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    gold!

8. Lucky you!

9. Hey Rosie, they've even taken that picture of you and put it on their website! You should charge them for that! :grin:

10. You folk in SA need to vote in a Government that isn't poisoning your water

11. We don't get water, the NSW and Vic governments bleed the Murray Darling dry before it gets to us...we get the moist dirt from the river bed.

Besides, it's not poisoning...it's 'enhancing' :wink:

12. :LOL: :LOL:

:rofl: :LOL: Vic - you have been :eek:wned: ....I think that's what being 'owned' means anyway...haha..too bad if it isn't.

13. I got one of these and I probably don't really need one either. The deciding factor for me was the thought that not being tied up to the bike's battery, it will come handy for other uses apart from riding the bike. And it did - now I often just wear it on the lowest setting around the house, instead of turning on the heater!

14. Rosie,

The company that provided the vest as the prize would like to congratulate you on winning the vest and also thank you for your brilliant review.

15. No worries Vic. :) It should be me thanking them :grin: :grin: Thanks Jett :grin:

:LOL:

:oops:

And Netrider ;)

16. Looks pretty good, and down here in tas where the nights drop to 0c it would be bliss not to freeze :LOL:

Does anyone in australia stock it or do you have to buy online?

Az

17. Of course the picture isn't of Rosie; she's a lot nicer than that :).

Rosie, I wonder if you had the power take-off for the vest wired through a relay, that would solve the battery-flattening problem?

Anyway, a good review, and I would have thought, an encouragement for people to enter the monthly competitions.

18. Hey Az...I think they have a list of stockists on their website:

http://www.jett.us.com/heat_vest_complete.htm

:)

Thanks Paul. :) Do you mean hook the vest up to the bike's battery via a relay?

19. Good idea, could ride for hours and hours and hours.... of ocurse your need the other battery when you get off.

20. Yes, but that would negate the whole point of this vest, which is that it comes with its own source of power. If you want to wire yourself in, there are already other items on the market that do just that with no modifications needed - Gerbing, for one.