Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Jet Skiis

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Faramir, Jan 2, 2009.

1. I recently came back from holidays on the Gold Coast. I hired a jet ski. (Twice, actually). I thought it was similar to motorbike riding but it's different.

Look at where you want to go was probably the only main rule that applies. Maybe throttle hard whilst turn is the other one. There's no counter steering. I did a few sideways action and some near donuts but I was very much a beginner on a jet ski. I did better than some of the other "tourists", (especially those from overseas). Not sure if my bike riding experience helped. Our "observer" did say I went fast and I did OK.

Well, I won't be picking this hobby up back home. It's too expensive, I have no where to store a jet ski plus I will need time to tow it, park it, etc. I guess it was my holiday fling that I'll have to forget about until my next holiday.

For those who have experience in both bikes and jet skkis: what are the similarities and what are the differences?

2. I went to QLD with the gf not so long ago also and we both went on the jet ski, she doesnt ride bike but i made her squeezed the throttle all the way and teaching her turn by turn to go in harder and dont let go and den the last lap she turned it so far to take the turn and then back to normal but it was too late and highsided me off the jetski .. she got scared let go and flung off too, best experience and the difference would be is that you wont break a bone if u fall =]

3. I'd say riding a jetski is similar to dirt bike riding, with the added bonus that a fall is less likely to cause injury. I was surprised just how well my wife Cindy took to it a cpl of years ago... rode it like a lunatic :LOL:
    She's saving for cheap one this year ( unless she finds an excuse to spend her $$ elsewhere >> done that twice so far )
    They are expensive to run but a BLAST to ride.

Oh and there is no need to worry about things like " Which foot down first" :LOL:

4. I owned a "gixxer" Sea-Doo. A GSX Limited, it ran an 800cc 130hp two stroke 3 cyl. Rotax engine. A mate had two Sea-Doos. One an XP limited, the other a GTX limited. The XP is a single seater and has a hull profile that makes it turn more like a bike. Highly maneuvreable but can be unstable at low speeds. Not a beginner's PWC. The GSX and GTX PWCs are more traditional style in that they turn flatter at all speeds.

There are some similarities to bike riding, but not so that you could call them "wet bikes" as I think Suzuki did with its PWCs when it was selling them.

As they are 'jet' powered, using water thrust for both motion and turning, using a lot of power when turning is essential. Back off the throttle and try to turn only sees you going wide. No throttle, no steering at all.

They are fun, but as mentioned, expensive. Back when petrol was well under a dollar a litre it would easily cost me a hundred bux for an afternoon's outing at a local lake. Or about $150 in today's dollars, I s'pose.

And there's the issue of them sitting in the shed for up to 9 months a year. And Club Marine, the only insurer of PWCs back then would not do lay off insurance like it does for regular boats, where you only insure it for damage, etc. during certain periods of the year (theft cover is year round). And the policy was expensive too.

So, if you live in a year round warm climate and have oodles of spare cash and don't mind supporting Sheik Rattlenroll's funding of his personal A380, then yeah, they're a good thing to have.

Of course, there is also the social stigma. Refer to another thread in here that I started that compared "hoon" jet skiers to bikers.

Oh, and they're not jet skis. They are personal watercraft or PWCs. Kawaski made the (stand up) jet-ski and kicked it all off. These days, the vast majority of these machines are more traditionally boat-styled.

5. WOW, these responses have been wonderful so far. It's a whole new world that I can not afford yet. The concept of putting on more throttle as you turn was something that I picked up immediately. This could be one reason why I did not come off (for my short riding experience). I think bike riding has taught me this.

I think the laws as getting stricter and stricter with PWC (I still want to call them jet skiis). They are regarded as a nuisance in NSW?????

6. In NSW the government there banned them from some waterways. including Sydney Harbour.

Dunno how they could do that given that you need to license them and to have a licence to ride them. Sort of like banning motorcycles on the GOR or in the Yarra Ranges. But then, most of Sydney Harbor's residential property is owned by influential people.

As for licensing it's now the same here in Vic. It's an endorsement on a boat licence or it's a separate licence if you only ride PWCs, I think is how it works. When I had mine no licence was required. Still needed rego, though.

7.  Top
  8. We have a 94 SeaDoo XP with the 2 stroke Rotax engine.

Its fun to ride once in a while but it doesn't really excite me that much. Its not dynamic enough if you know what I mean.

I'd rather have a boat that you can take your mates out on, have a bbq, knock back some beers etc.

9. Er, no???

I dunno how much more "dynamic" an XP can get!

But yeah, I understand were you're gettin' at with respect to boating with mates. Sea-doos, especially XPs which aren't "pillion" friendly, are very much a personal watercraft. Sort of like trying to share nachos, I s'pose.

10. I saw some PWCs (I mean jet skiis) near Brighton le Sands beach (Sydney). Gee I felt the urge to jump out of my car (leaving behind Heather, Gabi and a few present) to ride one just right there.

It must be one of the few spots in Sydney where you can ride them.

11. I was at Lakes (Entrance, east vic). A mate and I parked our Sea-Doos near a beach. We asked a fellow who ran a shop nearby to keep an eye on them.

When we got back the guy was telling us that he had no end of people come up to see if the PWCs were for hire. He could've made a killing in a short hour or two.

Back then you didn't need a licence. Now you do. So it'd be a totally different ball game with respect to jetski/PWC hire. The insurance premiums would probably make it unviable, anyway.