Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Jet-Packs are finally here!!!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by pringa8, May 15, 2008.

1. 'Fusionman' dons wings and takes to the sky

ICARUS crashed and burned when he flew too close to the sun but a modern-day Swiss adventurer has had a happier landing after testing his new jet-powered "wing". Yves Rossy, the self-styled "Fusionman", leapt into the skies 2500m above the small town of Bex in western Switzerland today clad in his new carbon wing.

He performed various manoeuvres for five minutes before landing with the aid of a parachute.

His "wing" is 2.5m in diameter and comes with four tiny jets, which are lit inside the plane just before he jumps.

Once in full flight, Rossy can reach speeds of up to 300km/h, but he can only stay in the air for a maximum of ten minutes due to the small fuel capacity of his jets.

Rossy, a 48-year-old former air force pilot who now works for the airline Swiss, first unveiled his design in 2004.

It hasn't always been an easy ride though - during one jump in 2005, he lost control of his wing and didn't open his parachute until he was just 500m above ground.

2. What ever happened to teh jet packs that NASA had guys fly into the LA olympics with?
    They were teh shizz.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. Too cool for school. Imagine how FUN that would be...!
  4. That's not flying. That's falling with style :grin: .
  5. Isn't that all "flying" is?

:arrow: Falling towards the ground, then missing.
  6. i though u were posting some Star wars stuff.. coz i though it was, only browsed through and though it was that white suit robot guys back in the older series of star wars.
  7. That's awesome!!

I can just see the legislators having a field day with this... another thing to ban or restrict, more rules and regulations.
  8. 42
  9. Carefull the Vorlons might discover this.........
  10. Drew wrote:
    Ktulu wrote:
    I just wanted to be the first to do a Buzz Lightyear reference.
  11. 42 is a Hitchikers Guide Ref..... :p

Now if you had said: " to the Universe and Beyond", or made a potatoehead reference..........