Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

jet kit required?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by deafwish, Jul 16, 2005.

1. If i were to put a Staintune slip on muffler to a perfectly standard Honda Hornet 600, would i need to rejet the carbies?
    I had a Staintune on my VTR250 and it ran perfectly with standard jetting.
    Is it an expensive process to re-jet a bike?
    Daz. :wink:

2. depends how much different the back preasure is with the new endcan... you might just get away with twicking the carbs... or not doing any thing at all...
  3. deaf, I put one on my VFR750 and it didn't require any changes. I have also been told by my mechanic that even if I took the baffle out (which I don't want to do), it would still be OK.
  4. you can probably just tweak the carby mixture a bit if its not right.. or even shim
    the needles and change main jets, but you're best to do a few dyno runs in between
    so you get the right mixtures...

otherwise, a jet kit will cost you under $200 + the cost of a dyno run if you do it yourself.
    its a pretty easy job - a few hours first time
  5. Emphasis being on the "if it's not right" bit... chances are it will be.

At $60 a pop, dyno runs are not exactly a basic diagnostic tool. If anything, Def would probably be best serve by just bunging the pipe on and reporting back here.
  6. I reckon stay away from the kits. I've herd so many bad things and them not being right.

As far as rejetting goes, I reckon you will definatly need it.

It is model specific, but generally standard bikes are a little lean at the top end and a little rich down low.

A pipe exagerates this.

From reading bits and pieces about what people have done it tends to end up something like, 2 sizes bigger on the main jets, 2 sizes smaller on the pilots and one notch higher on the needle.

At least this is a good starting point.

But, as I noted, it is model specific. Honda may have a "rich running" policy and so a pipe may make it just right.