Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Jeremy Bowdler Passed Away

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Hendo72, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dear all,

I'm sure you'll be shocked and saddened to read that Jeremy Bowdler, long standing editor of Two Wheels Magazine passed away on Tuesday evening (20/3). He was unable to recover from the cardiac arrest he suffered last Thursday (15/3). Jeremy's is survived by his partner Jan and two daughters.
    Our prays and thoughts go to his family & friends.

2. Only 52.. but he got to ride a lot of great bikes in those 52yrs, (and fall off a few too) RIP mate
  3. RIP Jeremy.
  4. Vale compadre... you'll be missed
  5. Sorry to hear. R.I.P.
  6. Very sorry to hear. RIP.
  7. R.I.P. Jeremy.

8. Ken Wootton at 57 in August last year and now Jeremy Bowdler at 52. What the hell is going on?? So many sympathies to the family. :(
  9. Tis very sad news indeed.. RIP :cry:
  10. The long standing editor of Two Wheels magazine has passed away, at the way too young age of 52, survived by his wife and two children

Jeremy Bowdler, the editor of Two Wheels magazine, has tragically passed way at the age of 52, leaving behind a wife and two young daughters.

Jeremy was a remarkable bloke, in more ways than one. Of course, he was a great scribe – not just on motorcycles, as he also dabbled in sports like cricket – but he was someone who concerned himself with all people, listened, and generally made them feel good about themselves. And it helped that his sphere of knowledge knew no boundaries, which I found out for myself when we ventured to Croatia together last year for the Suzuki DL650 V-Strom launch. But he wasn’t being a smartarse: just a widely read and erudite man who was keen to spread the ‘good’ word.

And when it came to his latest passion, guitars, his enthusiasm knew no boundaries. But that isn’t to say motorcycles were being left behind: they were his bread and butter, much like his family was his heart and soul. He adored his three girls, and spoke about them in such glowing terms that it was just about an impossibility not to take a step back and realise how important family really is.

Jeremy wasn’t one for grand theatrics or self-promotion: it was anathema to his make-up. But he was always there, steering the Two Wheels ship over three decades while a slew of staffers came and went. In motorcycle publishing, that’s remarkable endurance.

And even if times were tough, Jeremy wouldn’t wallow in self-pity or look for excuses: in a sense he was indestructible, and that would emerge again last week as he outran death for four days after a massive cardiac arrest.

Two senior figures gone in successive years: Ken Wootton, the former editor of Australian Motorcycle News, in 2011, and now Bowdler. And both in their 50s, meeting their maker way too early.

RIP Jeremy.

11. I only found out today that we have lost another great bloke in Jeremy Bowdler. I've met Jeremy a few times and my son and I did a Stay Upright course with him in October last year. Not only did he know bikes, but his appraoch to people is what set him apart from many others. He never spoke down to anyone and was always there to assist whenever asked. He responded to emails even before you sent them to him, regardless of the time. He was more than happy to provide knowledge and advice to my son when he was looking to buy his first bike in 2010 and bought a bike based on Jeremy's recommendation.

My condolences to his wife and daughters. I know it doesn't help but we have all lost a great friend. The motorcyling community is all the better for Jeremy being part of us; we all the poorer now.

RIP Mate
  12. I'm a newbie, I have been on the road for 7 months and licensed for 2.

Thanks to the local library I have learned everything I can from the last couple of years of TwoWheels. Via his writing, JB became one of my mentors.

Eg, he wrote a tip on how to do smoother upshift, which really improved my riding, and I often feel gratitude to him when I do it. I was going to write and thank him for that, sadly now it is too late.

RIP JB, and thanks.
  13. What was the gear shifting tip, that he gave you?
    Help continue his legacy..
  14. I was told by one of the people on the Road Rider stand at Mildura that the suspicion is that Jeremy may have picked up some sort of infection while overseas that affected his heart.