Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Jaycar Motorcycle Alarm, Xena Disk Lock comments & opini

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by CAF33, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Hello everyone,

I just purchased my first bike after having a license for 10 years and would like to ensure it doesn't dissappear involuntarily....

I noticed a year ago a group of forumites bought the Jaycar alarm and was wondering how it has been going? Any issues or has it been a good unit?

Are there any other alarms that i should take a look at? How about the Xena Disk Lock alarm?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

2. I have sold a few of them at work. Some of the jaycar stuff can be a bit hit and miss. I see a fair percentage of jaycar gear that is faulty out of the box, and have on occasion had to order something in three times to get one that works. I reckon... spend a bit more and get something more reliable

3. I've installed two Jaycar's on two bikes. They worked a treat. They will drain your battery over the long haul in the garage.

4. Thanks for the feedback....does anyone have any recommendations?

5. I was looking at this before. I ended up with the Xena lock cos someone gave it to me for free. But there was a guy who installs his own alarm that connects to the ignition. I will find the link for you. It looked great.

6.  Top
  7. I have a Xena and find it can be over sensitive at times. I will quite often go off a couple of times if i put it on without letting the bike cool down first. It'll also go off if it's windy but I assume any shock sensor alarm would. Other than that it's been fine and I'd rather have something too sensitive than not sensitive enough. I've had friends hop on my bike and it always goes off so that's the closest i've had to it really being tested.

8. Xena

No Alarm stops your bike getting stolen - they are only a deterrent. Therefore I bought & use a Xena alarm disc lock - sensitive but easy & highly visable. To stop it being nicked use a big f*ck off chain with an even bigger lock - if you can be a*sed carrying it around.

If all else fails that is what insurance is for. Have fun - great bike.

9. My Jaycar unit worked perfectly - for a while.

After a few months, it started to beep and flash the indicators when I hit high beam. Not always, but every so often.

Then the motion sensor stopped working. The alarm still functioned as an immobiliser, and was triggered if I turned the ignition key without first disarming the alarm, but moving the bike didn´t trigger it.

Eventually I ditched the alarm altogether in the course of tracking down a wiring short. The short turned out to be unrelated to the alarm, but by then the alarm wasn´t really earning its keep anyway.

It only cost me 50 bucks, so no big deal. But you get what you pay for, as with most things.

10. I bought a Xena and never use it.

I find it impossible to get the thing off without setting it off, especially if i'm out and it's not perfectly lit. It also emits a LOUD warning beep when it arms, so i can't put it on when i tuck my bike in for the night.

I reckon skip it.