Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

JASO MA oil in a scooter

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by ColtRaine, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I am new here and have an oil question that the interwebs has been unable to help me solve - I would really appreciate your help.

I need some new oil for my Honda Dio 110 and the manual recommends JASO t903:MB oil, but I can't find it anywhere. I bought the Honda HP4 oil, but that is JASO t903: MA rated.

Will this be safe for my scoot or should I keep looking for MB oil?

Thanks for your help!
  2. Thanks Tony, I was leaning that way too but then I saw some motul oil marketed for scooters that is MA rated, so I wasn't sure if that meant it would be ok?

This is probably a silly question but what is the worst that could happen?
  3. The JASO MA and MB specification refers to friction in a wet clutch. Probably the worst that will happen using MA is the clutch will slip, or not slip enough. Something like that. The engine will lube OK if the other specs are right.

Does the dio even have a wet clutch?
  4. Good question! I will have to look it up..
  5. I finally got some MB rated oil from Sydney City Motorcycles which from my research is the only place I've managed to get the HP4M oil. They should have 10x1L bottles as I bought 2. There's no aftermarket MB rated oils available in Australia but plenty in Asia and Europe.

DIO have a dry clutch IIRC

6. Worse is nothing except a tad more engine wear than MB oils. My understanding is the moly they add to the oils makes it more slippery given scooters don't have wet clutches. Having said that the dealer referred above uses MA oils in their service for bikes requiring MB rated oils even though they are a Honda dealer. Certainly doesn't inspire confidence so therefore I'll do all the servicing myself with the help of a workshop manual.
  7. Thanks for your help SmellyTofu! I am in Melbourne, so will keep looking around. I sourced the MA oil from a honda dealer and asked them what oil they would put in my scoot if they were servicing it and they pointed to the MA. Wasnt sure what to think of that...
  8. #9 SmellyTofu, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    Get them to order the MB stuff coz should something happen to the engine which it probably wouldn't, the first thing they'd check is the oil.
  9. Yeah I think I might do just that. Talking to a different dealer tomorrow, if they don't have it I will get it ordered. Thanks again