Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

jap import

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by casho79, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Gday guys, my first post....so be gentle...

Ive been reading alot of the threads on importing a bike from japan, but a lot are focusing on import duties only.

The info i am after is what is actually involved once the bike is here.

If i import a trail bike, does it need a compliance plate if its never going to be registered?
  2. welcome and no.
  3. The import approval papers will state that the vehicle is never to be registered for the road. So you'll get it into the country (probably) but you won't be able to change your mind later if you decide you do want to ride it on the road.
  4. when you say trail do you mean MX?

cause your bike needs to be registered to ride on trails in aus (either Rec rego or full)

but if its just for the farm then thats different
  5. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, i mean MX, it will be ridden on private land, but can recreational rego be obtained for an import?
  6. only if you Import it though all the processes. Umm, youve got to get all the checks, and all the bla bla bla. your probobly better off buying one though a import dealer. Or an Import Agent.

But if im honest i dont think it'd be worth it for a dirt bike. Have you got some numbers showing your savings?
  7. No final numbers yet.

The reason I'm asking is, my employer is importing a container of older bikes(pre 89) all bought from an auction house in Japan.

I have the opportunity to chuck a bike in with the lot coming over, so I'm looking at what options I have available.
  8. Given that your employer is obviously in the business, wouldn't they be a better source of info?
  9. Be very careful buying one of these bikes. I bought an '86 Jap import, to cut a long story short, the main bearing went after 36,000 klms and now as a result I have no bike and lots of heartache. Apparently it was left sitting untouched for 20 years in Japan and brought through auction then into Australia. Not saying they are all like that, but just wanted you to be aware of this potential issue.
  10. "Given that your employer is obviously in the business, wouldn't they be a better source of info? "

He's not in the business of importing bikes, and this is his first time, hence why I am asking it here.

And hes importing pre 89 bikes, so from what ive read there is a fair few exemptions for bikes that age.
  11. Another problem with buying an imported bike is that parts can be extremely difficult to source in Australia.

Often the local distributor or official importer (yes even the big 4) will offer very little, if any, support. Effectively, you're on your own.
  12. Just like you are with an official import once the warranty expires. Or once you've signed the cheque if you bought an Aprilia :wink:.

Seriously, given an internet connection and a credit card, the whole "can't get parts" thing is mainly a furphy, although I wouldn't particularly wnat to pay freight on a complete engine.
  13. I can't speak for the capital cities, but I do know a number of 'country' dealers/mechanics that will refuse to work on 'grey imports'.

I asked the local Honda dealer (when we had one) about 'grey imports' a few years ago. His response was "yep you can get some good ones, but if you need anything other than a general service, don't bother bringing here".
  14. I suppose I should have added that I have always done all my own work on my bikes, so the question of whether I can find anyone willing to work on them doesn't occur naturally to me.