Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

[Jan 18, 2014] Port Campbell GOR Overnighter

Discussion in 'VIC' at netrider.net.au started by Ned, Jan 11, 2014.

Port Campbell GOR Overnighter
Start Date: Jan 18, 2014 09:00
End Date: Jan 19, 2014 17:00
Time Zone: Australia/Sydney +11:00 AEDT

Port Campbell 3269

Posted By: Ned

Confirmed Attendees: 0
You can not RSVP for this event...

This event has already begun, or has already passed; RSVP has been since closed.
  1. #1 Ned, Jan 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
    COME RIDE THE GREAT OCEAN ROAD.....:riding:

Hi all, with the weather looking to be warm and sunny this weekend, the invite is here for you to join me on a ride down the GOR and some inland routes all the way to Port Campbell, staying the night at a backpackers. (y)

RIDE LEVEL: Touring 1 intermediate. See: https://netrider.net.au/threads/ride-level-ratings.159944/
    DISTANCE: Approx 660km over 2 days
    WHEN: 18/19 january
    MEET: McDonald's/7-Eleven Western Ring Rd Ardeer Sth. See: http://goo.gl/maps/9XvMh
    TIME: 9am for 9-30 leave
    COST: $35 per person

-To book your accommodation, call the backpackers direct and tell them you're with Netrider. Link here: http://www.visit12apostles.com.au/ant/profile/ocean-house-backpackers

-Latecomers are welcome, but please be at the meet point in time for the briefing.

-It will be a fairly cruisey type ride with the occasional spirited moments to be enjoyed also:D A TEC will be appointed on the day and corner marking will be used so no-one gets lost. Each rider is encouraged to ride at a pace which is comfortable for them, ensuring a safe and enjoyable trip.

-There will be a brief stop at Waurn Ponds BP, 205 Colac Rd at 10-15am for anyone wishing to join in from there:cool: http://goo.gl/maps/r9RFU

OK, so who's keen??

-Ned
    -Nopedals
    -CJVFR

:peace:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bugger!

Bike is in for a service next weekend!

I'm sure this would be a great trip.

Maybe next time.

3. Damn. I'm in Sydney!!

4. Not to worry, maybe see you on the next one? :)

5. It's becoming my nickname. Traci "next time" Guzzi ;)

6. If it's not snowing I'm not going

:playful:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Certainly not snowing here this week
    21a0fb11a5b88231efd090960b185bb8.

8. Ned, did same ride solo two weeks ago, had a ball. Would love to do it again with others. Let me know bank stuff. Am a goer.

9. Snow at Mt Hotham, rain in Adelaide, I'm aiming for clear skies and plenty of warmth this time round James, so you coming or what???;)

That's what I like to see(y) Welcome to Netrider and by the way, while you're here, how about popping in to the Welcome Lounge and introduce yourself to the crew, what you ride, where you're from, etc. We're a friendly bunch:cautious:

PM sent regarding payment details:cool: See you saturday...

10. Grrrr, working. ....... Well making an appearance for $$$$$ in the least, lol!

11. Hi Ned, I'm in. :)

12. It's been a while between trips DropBear, ah well, you have to make the $$$ so you can do these trips I suppose;) See you on the next one perhaps(y)

Awesome Chris, you're on the list, always great to have you along:D At least it won't be stinkin' hot by the weekend which will make for a very comfortable run along GOR.

Keep that interest coming guys, aiming to get 6, maybe 8 riders?? :playful:

13. Good to see the temp is dropping to the low 20's for the weekend, still plenty of room at the backpackers for this trip (linen and towels provided) and the opening post has been amended to show a link where you can book your bed if you'd like to come:)

14. These rides are great and would heartily recommend Ned as a leader. Although hope you get a better breakky spot this time.

I'm out. Bike is currently stuffed.

15. Thanks GreyBM, you do a pretty good job of leading rides yourself(y) Yes, hoping to strike a good brekky joint this time, if it's good, we'll go back, if not, we'll keep looking, but I'm fairly confident with the place I have in mind (good on-line reviews and local's recommendation). It's a start anyway.

Shame you're bikeless at the moment (bloody pothole?) but I'm sure the Lovely LizzyM would lend you her bike if you promise to look after it:sneaky:

Hope to see you around soon,

Cheers :cool:

16. Not quite bikeless. I am on the backup for commuting but as it needs a bit of work I am not willing to take it on too much of a trip.

Liz has already offered me the mighty CB as backup but I turned her down. That thing terrifies me.

17. Freedom is multiple bike ownership,everyone needs 3 at a minimum.
    Although you can reach saturation point.
    When I had 11 Ducati's,I was almost assured that one would be running.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Dammit Ned I was hoping to make this but I can't do it, hope you have a good trip

19. #19 Ned, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
    A few shots:

View from backpackers
    view back.
    Enjoying a beer before dinner
    drink bpackers.

Undercover parking
    bike packpackers.

Too busy riding to take many photo's, big thanks to Chris for playing TEC while I took care of the lead and corner-marking! The group managed to stay together well and no-one got lost. Although I did let Chris have a play up the front in the last half of today:D

What started out as a warm day saw us encounter a little drizzle on our way toward the coast, where we enjoyed the twisties most of the way, only to be held up occasionally by the traffic that insisted on doing 60 in an 80 zone. The weather soon improved and there was no need for the wets for the rest of the trip into Port Campbell, via our chosen route which took us inland to enjoy a much needed stop at the Chocolate factory where we each enjoyed a coffee and a few chokkies were purchased for consumption at a later date.

After a few photo shots at Peterborough we descended on Port Campbell, hunger pains setting in with the smell of food in the main street filling our nostrils as we rumbled into town. Upon checking in at the backpackers I had to inform Chris that the Swedish Girls Beach Volleyball team had also booked the same backpackers as us, Chris had second thoughts but I soon convinced him that everything would be fine and he could be doing a lot worse:joyful:

Excellent meals were dished up at 12 Rocks Cafe (the place was packed!), Chris chowing down on the kangaroo fillet and myself choosing to go the mexican option with the seafood quesadilla, great service too, saying goodbye to the hunger pains. (No room for dessert but we later went out and had another coffee)

Up early this morning, hearty brekkie at Nico's, refuelled and off again along GOR where we turned inland from Lavers Hill making our way out to Brisbane Ranges where we were able to enjoy a bit more spirited riding as the road had opened up and views through the corners were good. Trentham's Red Beard Bakery was the place where we ended up having lunch, another popular tourist spot where it's sometimes difficult to find a park even for a bike. Upon leaving, and about to mount his bike, Chris was confronted by a lovely blonde lass, enquiring about the whereabouts of a servo as she was running low on fuel, I reckon it was just an excuse to get up close and personal with a biker:p

The final leg took us into Tylden, Woodend then Romsey where we said our goodbyes and headed our own way after 800km of doing what bikers do, spending time with like-minded people with a passion for riding, eating and drinking,

Thanks Chris;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Port Campbell Lookin' good.

Grandparents used to have house just around the corner across from caravan park, and we used to camp down there every Christmas cooking up huge crays and getting up to lots of mischief.

Was my first intro to OMG when they took over the pub one night and generally created havoc. That was back in the 70's