Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ixon sismic vs leather jacket

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by kyan, Nov 23, 2007.

1. I'm deciding between the ixon sismic textile jacket and the alpinestars stunt 2 leather jacket.

I can get the ixon for $270 and the alpine for $500. I don't really want to spend $500 but am willing to be swayed if it offers better protection?

How do these two jackets compare as far as protection, ie if i went for a slide...

I am leaning towards the ixon due to it being more waterproof, cooler in the heat and also cheaper.

2. I bought a leather jacket with my bike in june and have just bought a sismic because it's getting warmer. While I feel more exposed in the sismic it still seems sturdy enough to offer decent protection in a fall (not that I can comment as I haven't felt the urge to properly test it out).

The leather will offer more abrasive protection however with summer coming you may feel less inclined to wear it and so the sismic is much better than no jacket at all. Also the sismic has a fairly decent feeling waterproof lining and a second thermal lining so it can adapt to the conditions much more than the leather.

Also if you buy it at a shop dont pay $270 got mine for $220 because I asked, maybe not a huge discount but still better in my pocket.

3. I think you need two, I brought a leather jacket first that found it to hot to wear in the summer weather. The textle jacket is alot cooler/better for summer. I was only wearing a t-shirt while ridding when it got too hot, so that why I would say you need to

4. I think you need two, I brought a leather jacket first that found it to hot to wear in the summer weather. The textile jacket is alot cooler/better for summer and when it's rainning you can wear it wth the water/wind proof jackets with it (great for Melbourne weather 4 seasons in one day). I was only wearing a t-shirt while ridding when it got too hot, so that why I would say you need two.

5. just for interests sake, i ended up getting a joe rocket blaster 3...

it fitted my body shape the best and it seems like it is nicely made

aVDepKA.

anyone else out there have this jacket?[/img]

6. i have a sismic which is a top jacket, you can take out all the waterproofing/thermal lining for warmer days and it still retains the armour in the elbows, shoulders etc. With the liners in its a pretty warm jacket, no good for real cold winter long rides but ok for commuting and stuff in colder temps. Leather is always best if you're planning on riding hard (and possibly falling over), but this time of year its hot, damn hot!! Get the sismic if you want alllround flexibility, but obviously if you're gonna do track days or push the limits you need leather.

7. I know I am digging up an old thread, but I have some very important info regarding the sismic jacket.

When you have the waterproof liner zipped up, you can fit a nice warm doner kebab in the space between the waterproof layer and the top jacket nicely (kebab maintain upright posture) to provide a nice source of heat when you riding home in the cold at 1 am because you got the sudden urge for a bab...I am speaking from experience.

8. Might test that one out tonight...