Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Ixon Leather Jacket - zips :(

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Owls71, May 12, 2014.

1. Bought a nice Ixon Leather Jacket (Legend range) back in October, black with three white stripes down each sleeve, generally a good jacket but just recently both the zips on the wrists have stuffed up.
    they are YKK zips so I'd thought they would last but both of them no longer close the teeth of the zip together.
    I basically just pull the zipper to around half way to hold the sleeve kind of closed and the gloves cover the ends.

bought from lane cove store and if I can find the receipt will go in an have a chat with them to see what can be done.

anyone else had any issues with this jacket?
  2. Haven't had issues with their jackets, but I picked up a pair of Icon field armour boots when I bought my first bike and haven't been able to wear them more than 4 or 5 times because the zip down the inside of the left boot won't stay shut meaning the boot has comes completely undone after 5 or 10 mins.

Sent it back to the distributor for repair, it came back in worse shape than I sent it in so I wouldn't recommend taking that option if it's offered.
  3. If you are careful you can re tension the zip runner. The smaller YKK zips (and some of the copies) suffer from them zip runner alloy being too soft and the runner opens up quickly which causes the teeth to be out of alignment and then falling open.

With the zip closed, use a small pair of multi grips to close the outer sides of the runner around the teeth.
    Be careful not to press too hard or it will lock onto the teeth and then it won't move. It will only need to close 0.5mm or so. Make sure the runner slides without too much pressure when you're done. Some Silicon spray will help too.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thanks for the info, I'll give that a shot.
  5. Take it from me, there's nothing special about YKK zippers.