Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I've Never Been This Angry With Myself

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Stueh, Apr 6, 2009.

1. After a two week wait due to rego problems, I finally got my CB250 this afternoon.

I went into Honda World this afternoon with my brother to pick up the bike. He rode it home and I drove his car. I haven't had my license long, and so my brother rode it home in the peak hour traffic for me.

Anyway. So, I stayed back to buy some gear, a dririder, gloves, helmet, etc. and drove home. I got home, all excited with my new bike, got geared up and off I went.

So I was riding around the block. First time on the road on my pride and joy. I live in the hills, and its a bit windy, so I was going easy.

Halfway around the block (about 4km) I entered a very easy (shallow?) corner and realised I'd leaned in too far, and so I leaned out a bit. Oops, I leaned out too far. There was dirt on the side of the road, about a 2 meter shoulder of dirt / gravel between the road and a fence. I knew I was going to go off the edge of the road, so I straightened up and hit both brakes. I could see the gravel coming up and knew there was nothing I could do. As soon as the front wheel hit the gravel, it slipped out, and knowing there was nothing I could do, I just leaned it in to get it down quick (best the bike hit the gravel than a tree / fence) and rolled off the bike.

I'm alright. Luckily, I've read many war stories and made damn sure I had all the gear on, and the right gear at that.

The bike isn't too bad, but I'll need to replace the front right indicator, the headlight (casing is all smashed, but the globe works), and the right foot peg. The rear brake pedal is bent, and hopefully that can be bent back. Handlebars are bent, that can be bent back, and the front brake handle is cracked, so will have to be replaced.

Luckily, my brother is a mechanic and is heavily into bikes, so hopefully it won't cost me much.

But I can tell you now, I'm angry with myself. The bike cost me $3,500, and within four hours of getting it, I've dropped it.

As a side note, to make matters worse, I bought a helmet, but they didn't have my size in stock. They gave me a loan helmet to use until mine comes in. It's scratched up pretty good, and has a dent (not visible, but you can feel it), so I think that's at least $300 right there.

Goddamn I'm kicking myself. fcuking stupid. I know I should have practiced a bit in the driveway, but was just too excited to wait.

fcuk I'm a dumbass. I knew better, but just didn't think about it. Grrr. :evil:

[/venting] ](*,)
  2. You, sir, get the 'Bad Luck of the Week" Netrider award. Regretably, this may well be a new record in the 'Shortest time between picking up a bike and dropping it' category.

I sincerely hope it all works out for you.....
  3. 4hrs 4 kilos.not bad
  4. At least he didn't bin it in the dealer's car park as some videos would suggest that such things occur.

To the OP: now that you've had your off you can get on with the riding part.
  5. Heh, at least you made me laugh hornet. I guess I had to drop it at sometime. Better it was on a quiet road in the hills than in the city on the way to work.

Thanks for making me laugh fellas :)

My brother just said he actually has an indicator which is the same model/type, so I won't have to buy a new one. Just found a dent in the fuel tank, 15mm x 10mm or so, with a nice scratch. Muffler is scratched too =\ Wonder if I could buff it?
  6. Bad luck mate.
    For the rest of us who may be just around the corner please get some insurance at least 3rd party.
  7. cross your fingers thats your only off in your life time, if it is, then its what we call a good off
  8. Just think of it as an expensive lesson, take what you can from it and move on, it has happened.

If it makes you feel better I know a rider who's ditched his brand new bike on his first time around the twisties... on the first corner, I almost did the same, you were just unlucky by comparison given that you were just as inexperienced.
  9. I know a guy who dropped his brand new Hyo 250 in the trailer on the way home from the dealer....

not quite the record for you then :p
  10. Sorry to hear about your 'off', however it's time to stop the anger and start being constructive!

There is something to learn every time you're out on the bike, and more to learn when you crash. Hopefully one of the experienced folk who like to help learners will pipe up, but here are a few things to think about in the mean time:

1. You stood it up and braked - very rarely the best thing to do. Keep leaning and looking and you will probably make it (especially as you say the corner was not tight, and your speed was not excessive).

2. You 'put it down' deliberately - either a mistake or a post-rationalisation. Believe it or not bikes can stop on gravel, and sliding on your side is not more effective than using your brakes. Granted, it takes a while to stop on bad surfaces, and you might not have had room, but then if you were going to put it on its side anyway, why not try to make the corner? Worst case scenario is that you make the gentle transition from maximum lean to just beyond maximum lean (which doesn't hurt very much at all at slow speeds in basic gear, I can reliably inform you
    :oops: ) and you end up no worse that where you are now. Best case was that this thread was a near-miss underwear-change thread!

Please don't feel this is an attack on your person, I'm inexperienced too and have made a few mistakes, but I do think it's important to think critically about your own riding so as to improve. Then you can move on to bigger and more spectacular stuff ups! Oh, er, I mean, so that you remain on two wheels for the term of your natural life.

PS: Sorry for the essay
  11. Dude, I commiserate with you, truly I do, but you should kick yourself a bit harder.

You said you leaned in "too far" which means you were going to cut the corner... so you straightened it out by un-leaning... which put you on a trajectory for the shoulder... Why didn't you just lean again?????

Hope you're not too bruised, physically and ego-tistically. Mend quick. Congratz on the new bike and bugger about the spill.
  12. Congrats on the bike, bummer about the stack. There is a saying... Bad start, good finish. I would go with that ;) You were honest enough to share it so you have already picked up on what you did and how you probably should have done it instead - sounds like a pretty valuable lesson to me.
  13. Well at least you've found out that you really do want to be a rider. Some people would just walk away and never throw a leg over a bike seat again.

Glad you're not hurt and the damage is minor.
  14. Thanks for all the support guys. I feel much better now that I've had a sleep (although my legs are aching somethign awful! :( )

It's also nice to just be reminded that I'm not the first, and won't be the last person to drop a bike so quickly.

roh & robsalvv: Yes, in hindsight (best way to learn!) I should probably have just leaned it in again, but I didn't. I THINK that I just saw the gravel coming up and instinctively thought "OMGWTFSHITSTOPNOW". And then I know that consciously, I told myself to straighten up and try to slow down (so as to be going slower when I hit the gravel) because, ironically enough, in the rider safe course, they kept saying worst thing you can do on the road is brake in a corner, always straighten up before braking ra ra ra.

roh: Yes, I did put it on the ground deliberately. I (think I) was still in a SLIGHT lean when I hit the dirt. The front wheel came out of course, and even though I released the brakes it didn't come back. Hence, I knew it was going down, so I helped it and got the hell off. While riding trail bikes is amazingly different to road, one thing I learned early and still stick to is that sometimes, on the rare occasion, you just have to help it drop so it and you go PAST a tree instead of into it, or some other reason.

I'm still going through in my head, what I could and couldn't have done different. Hindsight is a beautiful thing. At the time I thought I was doing the right thing, but now, I've learned better :)

Metricryder: Course I want to be a rider! :) I ain't gunna let a li'l off put me off (no pun intended). When you learn to ride a pushbike, do you stop when you fall off of the first time? Do you stop driving when you bump your car for the first time? Same on a bike, this ain't guna stop me! :)

Legs aren’t too bad. No visible bruises, but with my Tendinosis, it’s going to take a while for them to stop hurting and for me to get full strength back again.

Granted, I’m still going to ride my bike again before then. As soon as I’ve got it fixed up :)
  15. I know, I know...easy to say now...but really...it sounds like you need to hit a car park somewhere, and get used to your bike...especially if the roads in your area are'nt as ideal as they should be...

Give yourself one more hard kick up the arse for doing just about everything wrong (not having a go at you - we've all done it), then get over it, pay your dues, and move on.

Do NOT underestimate the value of running over things in your mind step by step to work out what and how you did it all wrong...it's the only way to learn. (which is what you are doing - right?)

16. Don't worry mate, silly things happen. Just read alot and practice the right things to do and you'll be right.
  17. Yup! That's what I'm doing!

See, the only problem is getting to the carpark. I don't know what the hills around melbourne are like, but around where I am, it's very spread out. The nearest place with a carpark (or ANY large open area of bitumen / cement / tarmac) is the local school, which is still 6km away. Or the pub / post office / CFS, which is about 6km as well.

I'm thinking, drive up to the school at about 20km/h next week. School holidays. I get a week off work and no one will be at the school.

I'm sort of over the whole thing already. I just wanna fix up the baby girl and get back on :)

And yes, I learned the hard way, I guess most people do. I did pretty much everything wrong, and I"m paying for it. Nothing I can do now except not do it again.

18. I've gotta say, listen to everything that raven says. I don't know the guy but he has given great advice all over this forum.

I had my first off on my first day of the QLD Q-Ride training course. I got cocky, went into a turn too fast, saw some gravel, and did pretty much the same thing you did: Panic, stand the bike up, panic again, and slide it over. It was very low-speed by the time I went down. Treat it as a learning experience.

One more recommendation is to read Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist 2. Not sure where you can buy it, but you can download a PDF (use google). Excellent advice on machine technology and how to corner properly, a lot of which is counter-intuitive - like keep the throttle on if you don't think you'll make a corner and you will, rather than twisting off and majorly understeering.
  19. What you did, is target fixate. Bummer, good to hear its not discouraging you :p
  20. :LOL: I can definitely identify with this one!

Last year just after getting my L's I had something similar happen to me, I was going into a corner and had 'newb lockup'...basically holding on too tight to steer properly. Also not looking through the corner, which helps a fair bit. End case I ended up running off the road onto some gravel, although I managed to keep things vertical.

Just chill and practise, practise, practise. Its a good thing you're looking to getting back on the bike, my brother got his because somone dropped it with 200km on the clock and didn't want to get back on! I reckon you'll be fine.

Cheers, and good luck - boingk