Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I've been offered a unused GSXR1000 Frame...

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Marlon, Jan 23, 2007.

1. Hey fellas!

As the title implies, I've been offered a GSXR frame - everything but the engine and gearbox for a steal. (Under $1000) This bike, and another were bought brand new two years ago to build a kit car out of. The engine and gearbox were removed out of both, and everything else is there - tyres, gauges, shocks, blah blah blah...

I don't care for sportsbikes at all, but a good-as-new GSXR is pretty tempting. Can you buy complete engines? Or would I have to hunt around at wreckers? Would it be hard to get registered, with differing numbers from the frame and the engine?

Food for thought...

2. Dude, you are duty and honour-bound to put a CT110 engine in that frame. Don't let us down.

3. If you can get a bike with everything, minus the engine for under $1k, then it's not a bad deal. Don't know what a wreckers would charge, but it can't be much more than $4-5k for a running engine with wiring loom/computer/etc. (note when they sell an "engine", they sell it with all the minimum bits included for it to be called an engine.. sometimes with even the side cases removed!). You may have to pay another five hundred or so for an exhaust, or buy a full aftermarket system for $1-$2k.

The frame "is" the bike. You can put another engine in it and get it re-registered, no problems. If your doing all the work yourself, it may turn out to be a good buy..

4. You could always look at the salvage auctions pick up a wrecked one and swap the engine over.

5. HAHAHAHA! Nice one loz, first decent laugh I've had all day! :grin:

Actually... now you've got me thinking!

Hopefully he's still got it. His brother in law is getting first pic!

Also, the standard muffler is still there. Just the engine and the transmission were removed. (You should hear the car when he's racing!)

6. Yes or some other engine under 260cc, then sell it to a learner :grin:

7. Either way dude, if you don't wanna buy it, I sure as hell will. I don't give a rat's about the engine power of my next bike (to a point of course) but I'm very keen to make sure it has an excellent frame, suspension and brakes.

8. Loz wrote:
    I'm shocked! ANYONE knows that he could use a Zongshen ES125ZSC 125cc Motor . . .
    [​IMG]
    . . . seeing as that's a "perfect replacement for most existing 50cc, 110cc and even 125cc engines. (and that) It closely resembles Hondas CT110 design and at around 7KW @ 9000 RPM it is a great upgrade"
    (http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/zongshen-es125zsc-125cc-motor/)

Another option is to convert it to electric power:
    http://www.electric-bikes.com/Ninja.htm- Introduction to The Secrets of El Ninja:
    Then, you can say "Take THAT CT110 riders! This bike is quieter than YOURS!!" :grin:

9. So Marlon, did you end up buying this chassis or can I have it?

Pleasepleasepleaseplease...

10. meh, sell the other parts on ebay and make a coffee table out of the frame :grin:

11. A K5 gix for a 1000 bucks minus engine............... the word bullshit comes to mind.
    I dont give a rats if a 6 or a 1000.

12. Sounds like fun if you're mechanically minded, not sure about the economic feasibility - might want to ask someone who knows a lot about that. Do a lot of research before embarking on this idea i suggest.

And on the topic - Putting in a small motor sounds really cool actually - top one loz :grin:

13. Jealousy is a dangerous thing mate :grin:

The bloke selling the bike is uncontactable at the moment... still waiting on hearing back from him. The suspense is killing me!

14. stupid idea,

chuck a rotary innit :p

if youre mechanically minded and can do most of the work yourself,
    it could be very worthwhile.
    not to mention being able to say your bikes built, not brought. :grin:

15. Jealous ?. Hell yes. I will take 2 of em if ya throwing em around. Can I see someone being that silly to drop a K5 on ya for that sort of $$ ? . Nope. And the only engine for one of them is a charged busa motor :)

Doc

16. Ah well, think what ya like. (Why would I post it then?)

And in regards to the CT110 engine... where there's a will, there's a way! I've got an oxytorch and I know (vaguely) how to use it! :grin:

17. :LOL: