Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

I've been brainwashed - please help!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by moog, Nov 21, 2007.

1. I've been riding bikes for about 15 years (since I was a kid) but not much on the road.

So i made a choice about which bike I wanted, paid it off and got my L's. On Monday this week I picked up my bike (which is an 08 VSTAR CUSTOM 650) I had previously bought all my gear. (Boots, kevlar jeans, jacket with armour, full face helmet and best gloves I could buy)

So I turned up at the bike shop - did all the paperwork and rode off home.

But I just couldn't really enjoy myself - after all this wait there is a niggling little voice in my head about getting hit by a car. Every street, every car that changes lanes I'm setting up just in case and after a while (as a newbie) you just start to freak out about all the dangers.

Everyone has been saying to me "Oh no you got a bike?"

I'd spoken with my wife about getting a bike and she seemed OK about it. But I went for a ride last night and she said that she was worried sick while I was gone and she said that now every time I leave the house she knows it may be the last time she ever sees me so she tells me she loves me.

I mean talk about drama - and it messes with my head.

Is it justified? Are we gonna die on our bikes?

So now I've got myself into this state of mind where riding is totally dangerous.

I spoke to my brother about it, who is an experienced rider, and he said that it's good that I feel that way because it will keep me safe.

Maybe the feeling wear of a bit - I have only been riding on the road for 2 days now.

But riding has been really tiring because I'm just so hyper alert and brainwashed into thinking that maybe I won't make it home.

Is it possible? How do you deal with it psycologically and emotionally?

Thanks in advance.
  2. I hadn't ridden since I was a teen ( dirt bikes ) , then hit the road at the ripe old age of 46 !
    I had the exact same feeling of :eek:hno: when I first hit the roads. It passes believe me. What I did was limited myself to tiny trips at first ..
    ie : around the block, then a little further, then to and fro the local shop etc etc.. It took me over a month before I was confident enough to ride to and from work in general traffic.

Just get out there amongst it .. a little at a time is my advice.
  3. Easy - just get out there and do it. Time will tell the rest!

But HOW you do it is up to you.
    Fine to squid when you want to, but for instance on days like today, prudence is required!.

Your first objective is to survive the ride!.

You cant protect yourself with any magic amulets, but you can increase the odds considerably.

Be aware of EVERY vehicle around you, and anything that can send you down the road. Look at the trees, so when you come out from behind a windbreak, you dont get blown over the road. Back off from that amateur driver in front. Change lanes if the load on that ute looks suspect.
    Vary your speed, so you dont become invisible.

There is nothing wrong in arriving 30 seconds later at your destination. Just make sure you arrive!.
  4. Mate, read the links in my sig. Then decide for yourself whether the risks are worth it.

There's a lot you can do to manage the risks, and a lot you can do to minimise the consequences when something goes wrong... the risks are never zero, not even in a car...
  5. "It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door"

The reality is there is risk in most of the things that make life interesting (Like stepping out the door) there are posts on these boards by people who have long histories of dirt and road riding, who have broken lots of things in teh dirt and never had issues on the road.
    roadcraft is something you will learn over time, just make sure your ego doesn't outstrip your ability and stay aleart.
    It will get more relaxing as your roadcraft picks up and things that you do very consiosly now become second nature.
  6. Well, you could have a heart attack, be in a plane crash, get run over by a car crossing the street, be shot in an armed hold up, have a stroke in the queue at the shopping center, get eaten by a shark, have a piece of space junk land on you, have a blood clot whilst trying to coax out a turd, be smooshed in your car by a runaway truck, ingest poison, fall out of a tree and break your neck, go skydiving and have a chute fail, or just be bored to death by your mother in law.

My point is, you don't know how you are gonna have yours, so don't stress about it. At least on the bike, I'll be going out with a smile on my face.
  7. Ah Moog... I know what your saying AND I know what your lady is saying too... My guy rides Big Bike hard and fast and on the track. I didnt want to spoil his fun so I started a ritual that helps us fully commit to the ride and enjoy it but also recognises the seriousness of the fun. Before we put our helmets on and head off together on the 1000 we must kiss. And we have just about sorted the wills so whatever happens we are both looked after. All that in place we then just wear the gear and forget the ugly possibilities, weve done all we can. I have also got myself a licence and now know how it feels to be the bike amongst the trucks and cars and after one month on my L's I have to say that the whole world is NOT out to kill me. I am relieved that it is SO much fun, exhausting yes, coz its new. We have had our offs and that has helped. I was unsure about getting a licence until we came off and I hurt my knee (230kg of bike hurts when it lands on your knee). After that bang and slide I knew i wanted to ride... weird huh? I think the fears are bigger than reality and when people write in forums the offs are more exciting to report compared to - ho hum got to work and back without incident. for two weeks i refused to read any forum etc that dealt with offs etc and that helped me get my perspective back. The Joy will come. :)
  8. [​IMG]

Take your pick. Not a lot of them are pleasant.

On a different note, just take it easy, be alert and ride within your limits.

P.S my wife too also says that she loves me before I leave, I think it's wonderful, makes me appreciate life a little more. Driving in a car there is that false sense of security, because sure enough, you can also be take out in one of those too.

9. Hope so!

Take the wife out on the back & be careful.

I've had close-calls with girlfriend on the back, and I saw, anticipated and handled the situation just fine. She knows it can be dangerous and yes bikes can go ridiculously quick - but only if you want them to.
  10. 2troo, your words are 2troo!! Listen to the lady, moog.
  11. I've come to enjoy the heightened sense of awareness the you learn by riding a bike. The day I don't feel that is the day I quit. ( :shock: )
  12. #12 fastkid, Nov 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
  13. Don't worry...it's the first step that gets you with the mind games. Just keep getting out there and confidence in your abilities will prevail. You'll never look back.

The downside is, that on a bike we are more vulnerable, so you have to learn to live with that. Once you do (and your wife does), you'll be a happy camper.

Ride smart and stay safe... :grin:
  14. tell her what it's doing to you and ask her to zip her lip, you need to be able to concentrate ion the ride, without all those thoughts going through your head, you're more likely top crash if you are thinking you will

as for that, god i hope so :LOL:
  15. yeah I agree with this, the (extra) awareness has helped when in the cage also... I seem more alert and aware of my surroundings since taking up motorcycling... but you know, there are risks in everything, motorcycling is no different

in the SA Learners course they introduce the term SIPDE which I use relentlessly

S - Scan around constantly don't let you eyes fix on anything
    I - Identify any potential danger (before it is actually a danger)
    P - Predict what could happen and your reactions to these predictions
    D- Decided which course of action to take
    E - Execute the course of action

it sounds a lot and involved when you read it off the bat like that, but it basically is saying stay alert, predict the worst that could happen (ie car changing lanes on you or reversing out of a drive on you) and be ready with a response to avoid the trouble.... becomes second nature in time... of course shite always happens, sometimes you have no time... suck it up, thems the risks we take

16. The best way to enjoy riding it is get away from the city streets and onto some nice windy country roads. Good to do it with a small group (safer & more fun). You'll be addicted again in no time!

Some degree of fear is a good thing. When you get on a bike and fear nothing is when you become dangerous.

17. Mate

Ive worked in just about every ICU in melbourne at one time or another, trust me, there are 1000's of ways in which one can leave this world early that are not related to riding bikes !!!!!!

If its what you want to do, you will do it, it gets easier, that is, the feeling of impending doom and how fragile life is on the road especially exposed on 2 wheels, as your confidence grows the anxiety lessens, but as pointed out, its healthly to have respect for riding.

There is an old guy at my work who has ridden daily for 40 years and has never had an off !!!

Riding on the road is not for everyone, and there is no shame in admitting that.

18. Don't read posts about other people's offs for a while. If at all. I try not to read them at all. It happens, it sucks, but people crash cars all the time too. Life hurts. Harden the fcuk up and enjoy yourself! :) Just STAY ALERT and RELAXED.
  19. for those people who don't live in your house and don't encourage you, don't talk about it with them. they're no use and no help. as for your wife, get her on-line to hear all about our adventures, how many of us are out there, riding, alive and kicking and luvin it :grin: she's bound to be addicted herself in no time :wink:
  20. I'll send her the link to this post so she can have a read...