Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

It's like a bike, you never forget how to ride one?

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by lilhog, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Returning to riding after many years without one, I guess just a week end toy.
    I have to buy everything again from scratch, including a bike! No idea what I'll be
    buying yet.

Quick question on helmets, sounds like there's a lot of hype out there about what's
    safe. Can you rely on the results from the government's crash.org site? Surprising
    results where cheap helmets outperform many expensive ones ...

2. #2 kneedragon, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    I will wade in where angels fear to tread...

It is exactly like you never forget how to ride a bike, because this is exactly where the analogy comes from. What that doesn't say, is you do get rusty. You never forget how to balance a twelve inch ruler on the palm of your hand either. But if you haven't done it for 5 or 10 ten years, try it...

You can relearn these skills, or brush up on them, using y'self as a coach. You know (because you remember doing it) how this should work, now get out there and do it a few times... Only thing to remember, you didn't learn these skills instantly the first time, and now you're a decade or two older than that... Be patient with y'self. Don't rush to conclusions. You haven't suddenly got stupid or retarded, you're just a little bit older. Be a better coach for y'self than others have been for you.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Remember that as your riding "mojo" comes back you are probably not as good as you think you are.

Braking is one area that will need a fair bit of practice, you are rusty and the tech has changed consiberably.

Returning riders are too heavily represented in most accident stats.

Welcome back to living.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Welcome back to riding! As far as helmets go... we all have different shaped heads so find the ones that fit and do your research people that wear Arai (like myself) don't seem to fit Shoei and so on. Helmets are meant to all come to a certain standard so find one you don't want to take off and go from there.
  5. Thanks for the warm welcome & the timely advice on 'returning riders'.

I'm aware that they, unfortunately, figure too highly in accident statistics but I have no
    illusions about my ability, past or present. Easy does it for me! This will most likely be
    echoed in my choice of bike.

Be kind if you are stuck behind a slow rider, it will probably be me!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Forgot to ask, are there any organised or casual or social rides around Sydney?
    I'm from the western suburbs. Nothing too focused or peg-scrapey, my wife will
    probably be pillion eventually.

7. Check out the Sydney practice and learner ride threads.
    I'm in Vic and ours are great, so It's worth following up in your neck of the woods.

I think Homebush is a venue for some of this malarkey.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. welcome aboard :) & welcome back
  9. Welcome back..

Re: helmets, I would try a Shoei first. If you wear glasses, they seem to fit best with a Shoei.. Imo
  10. Helmets & jackets sorted, bike, jeans boots & gloves to go.

It's going to be an expensive shopping week!
  11. Why not get some professional instruction to brush up both on skills and newer roadcraft strategies. Things have changed over the years.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Welcome back :D
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Yes ... (did I say that?) Welcome back.
  14. Thanks for the welcomes, yes, it will be good to be back.
    Yes, great idea.
    I'm 5 mins from Eastern Creek & Stay Upright hold courses there. I'll see how I go once I get a bike & decide what level of course I need.
    Judging by their website descriptions my guess would be intermediate. If I'm a complete dufus I'll go for something more basic.

My last bikes were both Yamahas, an XV1000 (the Tr1 version) and an XS750. You may have to google that pair!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. I thought I would buy a 'vintage' bike to start where I left off but the prices were astronomical
    for something I would have to spend a lot of extra time (not much available) and money
    (not much available after this weekend!) on. Very few 'classic' looking new bikes also.

The answer, a brand new 1957 model bike! Picking up a new Harley custom sportster this
    week. At least it won't be too fast! I'll probably need a new forum name as well.

16. I'm underway!

New bike, new user name, just need to get an avatar now.
    Thanks for the welcomes & encouragement.

• Like Like x 1
  17. That's a nice avatar you got y'self there, I like that...
  18. Welcome (again) :)

Lessons best way to iron out any potential bad habits and brushing up on skills .

Practice makes perfect !
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Thanks kd, I just googled something like vintage Harley pics & found heaps, one that includes my two interests, bikes & planes.

On the way home from work I noticed a group of riders near Eastern Creek, most likely returning from Stay Upright or another
    group running a course. A reminder to check into lessons.

20. Hmmm... Well I'm sorry to hear that. You have my commiserations. It must be hell to go through life being interested in Hogs and Mustangs and not pussy...