Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

It's happeniiiiiiiing!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Crashtastic, Aug 29, 2015.

1. tumblr_notzgrvD9N1uqlxd1o1_250.

So. Just got home from a very impulse trip to Peter Stevens. I've got the gear, and I've signed the paper, picking up my new baby in a few weeks.

Rather then get all excited and just leave my post at that, I figured I would try and share some of the things I've learned up till this point. Most of this is common sense, but hey, here goes.

Firstly, when it comes to insurance, I can't stress how important it is to shop around. Quotes cost nothing. I ended up buying a policy from Youi, which is the last mob I would expect. From all the other companies that were quoting $1000 - $1200, they quoted me $800 PA (under 25, learner, 650cc brand new bike). Guess what. I'm NOT paying $800.

Once you have a company selected, feel free to haggle. Some companies will help out, some won't. Once you've haggled, get a written quote, then take it to other companies. Go back and forth between the two cheapest, be a pain. I ended up only paying $600 for a fully loaded policy (2 year new bike replacement, unlimited roadside assist, gear cover ect).

Lastly, most people I've spoken to never try and get a cheaper premium once the policy has started. I always call my car insurer every few months and I generally get some kind of better offer. This is especially true when it comes time for your renewal, make them earn the yearly premium. I have two friends that got their Ls, then kept the same policy they took out for a year. Once you get your provisional/full license, call your insurer and get a chunk of that yearly premium you paid back!

This can be a controversial topic in itself. Why finance a depreciating asset? Simply, if you can get away with paying cash, there's no reason not too. For myself, I could have probably bought a bike with cash in a few months, but it made sense for me to get one sooner rather then later. It's nearing the end of winter, and bikes have already started to get more expensive. I also have a very quiet few weeks workwise at the moment, so I elected to cop the extra expense for the sake of a quiet time to get used to a sports bike vs trying to squeeze quick rides in during a busier period. It also meant I could spend more moohlah on my gear, which is never a bad thing (reference my screen name)

In my (limited) experience, a dealer can never compete with their finance packages. They also tend to be full of hidden charges and clauses. My same advice for insurance goes for a loan. While there is generally less room to haggle (basically none with the big banks), you'd be surprised. I landed a 6.3%pa loan with no early payment/exit/monthly fees. The loan will end up costing me a couple of hundred bucks in the long run.

This leads me to loan brokers. They can be a double edged sword. While brokers tend to have more buying power with loans, sometimes the savings they make aren't worth the commission. My advice? Don't be lazy. Do your research.

Also make sure you're pre approved before you walk into the dealer. You want to know you have access to the money in order to start haggling.

Now the fun part. Buying your baby. Before you walk in, make sure you have a good idea of the bike you want, including all its features and how much it's worth. Look up the bike on Car Prices - Car Research - Search Car Prices & Values Online - RedBook.com.au

I see haggling a dealer as a balancing act. You need to keep them convinced that you have a good chance of buying the bike, but don't let them think that you're not willing to walk away. The goal is to get them to sweeten the pot. I've found that new bikes are often not a high profit game like cars. So this means that often there's not much flex in the actual price of the bike. There's often much more flex in gear and accessories.

When I bought my bike, I walked into the rider gear section straight away and picked out about $1000 worth of riders kit (I didn't have much road gear at all). I didn't buy it, but it was all laid out on the counter ready to go. Then I went and looked at the bikes. Unfortunately there wasn't much flex on the price of the bike, but I did manage to score a tidy little discount on the gear that I was buying. I also picked out a few accessories for the bike, which also got discounted. (tank protector, fender eliminator, disk lock).

Please note, this is all just my experience, I am by no means an expert. Someone who's been riding bikes for years could probably tell me how to save a crap load more cash.
    • Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. :wtf: peter stevens lol. they won't budge a bit on discounts. they'll give you a laughable discount on gear but wont really do much for you
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Was a bit like that Jack. Bit of a shame, cause my choice of dealer (geographically) was Peter Stevens, Peter Stevens, or Peter Stevens.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I agree Dom. I could not get them to budge $20 to round down the cost of two helmets. One helmet was discounted and the other was not.
    Anyways congrats on your new purchase Crashtastic.
  5. I always get a discount at PS's. You just have to show them a cheaper price (I bring a cheaper price up on my phone and show them that!)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I dont know if it is just me but, I find lately that their prices are no longer highest.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nice write up, I also signed up with Youi and had the best customer experience with them and far better price!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Im with youi and I think the customer service was great and best deal. however I have not claimed with them so not sure what they are like when it comes to claims.
  9. Be careful with Youi and any discount insurer.......

My brother recently crashed his BMW and was insured by Youi. To cut a long story short they got him on the fine print and refused to pay the claim. He is now considering legal action against them. Of course the same thing could probably be said for almost any insurer.....though my personal experiences/claims with Suncorp have been 100% great (never a problem, just ring them up and they do the rest).

Of all the things, insurance isn't something to buy purely based on price.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Can I ask what the fine print was?

I'm with youi and have only had to use them for road side assist, which wasn't a bother.
    No claims yet.
  11. From memory it was something to do with where the crash was compared to where/how he said he uses his car. But, I'll get the specifics off of him as to not give out false information.
  12. I was borderline on finance, and without getting a formal quote (bad idea to shop around with finance quotes) my only option turned out to be Yamaha Finance through the dealer.

Yamaha Insurance also worked out cheaper for me as well.

I wasn't able to sweeten the deal, since I walked in with no preapproval, but in the future, I'll definitely be in a better spot financially (will have finished uni and be working properly) and have wiggle room. It was also an immaculate, low km second hand bike, already below market value.
  13. Hey, when you were comparing insurers, did you look into QBE? They are a few hundred less than all the other insures I have got quotes from, and it seems that they include everything, but I'm afraid that the price difference is a reflection of how much harder it is to claim, I don't want to be in a position like Barters18's mate.

How is the bike going? What bike did you get?