Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Its finally happened - Dangerous operation of a police vehicle

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TRA, Mar 21, 2011.

1. I had a whinge not so long back about an idiot cop driving way too fast past an area that is always full of kids, and to boot he was driving like an idiot.

Well today one of those idiot cops driving dangerously has resulted in a serious accident.

2. Fifty bucks says sirens weren't on. 3 car pile up is the giveaway.
  3. EDIT: At the time I typed this post, some stuff hadn't occurred to me. I was mainly responding to the impression the original post gave me: that some police officer or another had brazenly disregarded road rules without real justification, as they seem inclined to do, and it caught up with them.

"They were travelling in a marked police car with lights and sirens on when the incident took place at 2.10pm.

They were enroute to a disturbance at Chermside when the crash took place."

"..when a sedan, being driven by a 28-year-old woman... collided with the marked police car.

A car travelling behind the sedan has then run into the back of the woman’s car."

Nup, cops were doing their job, other drivers were to blame here. When they have lights and sirens on, they're allowed to ignore various rules, and everyone else on the road is supposed to do whatever they can to not get in the way, same as ambulances.

In this case, my sympathy goes to the officers. If they'd been doing the same stuff 'cause they'd missed the entry to maccas, then I'd be jumping on them.

EDIT: 'Course, I am assuming there's no lying going on, which is a reasonable one to make because:
    1) "They were enroute to a disturbance". One would expect them to have the sirens going if they were on their way to deal with something (not traffic related, even!).
    2) There would have been witnesses. Trying a coverup would be too big a pain in the arse, and have too high a chance of catastrophic failure.
    3) It is believable that an average Australian road user would do something like that :p.
  4. I reckon the cops are to blame. When an emergency services vehicles plans on running a red light or failing to give way, it is *their* responsibility to make sure the vehicles with right of way have seen them and yielded.

I work near the Alfred Hospital and see this on a regular basis: the ambo, even if it appears that all the vehicles at an intersection have yielded, will still slow down to a crawl, check both ways, then floor it. This is because buildings / heavy vehicles can obscure other drivers' sight of the ambo, and stereos / ipods can obscure the sound of the ambo.
  5. That's what it says in the paper. So we know what's been reported. That's not the same as knowing what happened. It is however, very likely to become the official version and the one that will stand, unless somebody has very good evidence to the contrary.
  6. Ah, yeah, there is that.

The OP read like he was automatically presuming guilt on the cops' part, so I felt compelled to point out that they weren't entirely in the wrong - they had a good reason to be doing what they were doing, even if they didn't do it right. Unlike the bulk of the dodgy stuff sooo many people have seen the daleks do.
  7. Dunno about elsewhere, but in WA it must be "safe and reasonable" for any exemption to the road rules to apply. The fact that, in this case, there was a crash suggests that it may not have been safe. Regardless of whether other road users are supposed to give way to emergency vehicles under lights and sirens, is it reasonable to expect that they will?

Given that there are live witnesses, it's likely that the official enquiry will reach an appropriate conclusion, whatever that conclusion may be.
  8. Lol, reminds me of the one at Miranda where a police van rolled, the best part about it was these two quotes ~ source

Yet at any other crash they'll write 'speed probably a factor'.
  9. I agree that a cover-up isn't likely, but facts are open to interpretation, and there are ways of forcing the official line through things like internal investigations, so that the facts get interpreted in a way that leaves the official people smelling of roses. One example is that a policeman doing his duty, can get away with doing stuff that's almost laughably stupid and get a commendation for it, because he was doing his duty. If you want an enquiry to reach a different conclusion, you'd better have some pretty convincing evidence, not subject to twisting and interpretation.
  10. IT really got my back up when I saw them last time flogging it through a red light flat out. ITs not the first time either. Sure they may be in a hurry, but they have a duty of care to other road users. If the firies and the ambos can slow down for hazards so can the cops. Their job is not more important than any of the other emergency services.

The fact that there was a pile up makes me instantly suspicious. If the following car had heard the sirens or seen the lights, surely they would have slowed down as well? And that intersection is ALWAYS busy, 6 lanes of traffic on Gympie Road, 4 lanes on Rode Road + turning lanes. If the cops were not driving like they owned the road I will be very surprised.
  11. Yeah, that's about the way I see it too.
  12. have you been hitting the herb bro?

In no way can the other driver be considered at fault, at least without more information (stuff that doesn't source the police union). Remember that cops are the ones with this so called special driver training that apparently makes them avoid accidents and makes it safe to whiz around at speeds that would incapacitate us lesser mortals.

If the other driver was driving around with their head up their ass I'm willing to side with you, but evidence of such is necessary first - pieces of poo on their face, for example.
  13. it's a well known fact that QPOL, moreso here in brisbane, will run without disco lights until such time as they're AT the intersection they intend running through. i'm tempted to say that "lights and sirens running" weren't actually running until the last second
  14. I have something of a knee jerk reaction to apparent knee jerk reactions 8-[.

A couple of things hadn't occurred to me when I typed out that post, and I take back some of what I said. My sympathy was based on the circumstances as they were in my mind at the time (them doing their job -dealing with a real problem, not traffic- and getting hit by one of our old friends, the Average Driver).

Sidenote: Only one of the other cars is their fault, the second should have left enough room to brake safely :p.

EDIT: And no, no herb for me. I have enough problems without narcotics. Frequently poor sleep, for example. Which does have an understandable impact on cognitive functions :(.
  15. Where in the article does it mention a red light?

The police have the same obligation as the ambo's and firies. I saw a collision in Port Melbourne where the firies aproached the red lights, stopped, edged out, and then slowly moved forward before this car with the green light came straight through. Now, the firies had done all they could. Are they expected to wait at the lights till they turn green? What about the event they are attending?

The big fire truck was hit with such force that it was facing the other way. The other driver in a coupe didn't even brake. I wonder if they were even aware of their surrounds as they approached the lights, but the firies did everything that I could see as being reasonable to get across the intersection. The fact the other driver was not paying due attention and may have been on their phone, is a factor that could happen any where, but a green light does not mean we can close off our senses and not pay attention.

As riders this is something which we are very aware off. Why now are we up in arms that this police officer, performing their duties and is now in hospital is automatically in the wrong when they could just as likely been a victim of SMIDSY as any of us here?
  16. I like Police.

And ambos.
  17. err... :-s
  18. Modern cars have sound deadening which remove as much outside noise as possible.

How often have you only heard a siren at the very last minute and then madly looked around and in all the mirrors to find the source.

Most Fire and Ambulance vehicles have lights at the front that point sideways so as they stick their nose into an intersection it makes them easier to see, I'm yet to see that on a Police car.

We don't know if they were crashing through a red or simply edging into the intersection so it's a bit hard to pin the blame on anyone but the rules pin it on the emergency vehicle driver.
  19. I've seen a couple of near misses with both police and ambulance because idiots really did not want to give way to emergency vehicles. I saw one at the Elizabeth Street roundabout where an ambulance had eased off to go through the roundabout (lights and sirens goinging) and a driver pulled out onto the roundabout right in front of the ambo. I have no idea how the ambo driver missed hitting him.

I've also seen several near misses at the corner of Glenlyon and Sydney Roads where the cops have tried to do the right thing and slow but still had cars come straight through.
  20. +1

Me too.