Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

"It's all about the show."

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by rc36, Jul 5, 2010.

1. The DORNA boss let the cat out of the bag last night. Our wonderful sport is no longer a sport, it's an ENTERTAINMENT. The time for technology is passed, "It's all about the show."

If you'd like to see just how ticked off I am about this you can read further comments on my web site. If not, the sound that you are now hearing is steam coming out of my ears.

](*,)](*,)](*,)

2. Didn't catch the interview, but after seeing the Moto2 race where six bikes binned in first corner, IMHO 40 odd bikes just too many

MotoGP there's 17 bikes, be good to see a few more - say mid to high 20's

There's plenty of control now, but obviously the barriers to entry still too high for Dorna's ideal numbers

What's the difference in budget now between the top and bottom teams??

If a bit more control, lessens the cost to enter a bike, and brings in a couple more teams then leaning towards it.

Total control, and removing the technology that eventually flows through to mianstream bikes, would be a bit hard to accept though

And while having a whinge, can I vote for no traction control....

3. I think all motorsport has been about the show for about 20 years.

In F1 we saw it with the banning of active ride suspension and 4ws. I was for banning those things, but as soon as you do, you are putting the show ahead of technology.

Bike are no better. With the old two-strokes, the engines were about as low tech as it gets.

Besides what is the end game if technology is allowed to be given it's head. We probably already have the technology to have riderless bikes that are capable of racing each other without any human intervention.

personally I support a balance. Local V8 taxis for example are too far in the other direction. Too much about the show and not enough about the technology.

Just saying I don't see this as a suprise.

4. RC, I'm glad someone posted this. I saw it too and it got my instant attention. But ibast is correct, it's been this way for a while. Remember, Dorna is the series promoter and for them it most certainly is about the show. I've said this for a while, but if you want pure hard edged racing then local club and national series are the way to go. If you want the glitz, glamour and razzmatazz then wsbk and motogp is what you watch.

And did anyone else notice the empty stands? 20% unemployment or not, that is almost unheard of in Spain. Rossi anyone?

5. He recommended a maximum of 24 on the motogp grid and some generous preferential satellite team rules that I only half heard.

6. MotoGP needs a few more bikes on track. Plus it needs a few more with a chance at a podium. Just a few more grid fillers wont help

7. Yeah, I hear what you are saying. I think one suggestion was that "works" bikes, instead of being junked at the end of the season, be passed down to satellite teams. As long as they continue to receive factory support, I think that idea has merit.

I'm sure that, if you were to ask Rossi what is more important, the racing or the show, I know what the answer would be. And this from a man who is the consummate showman.

8. How they are going to get 24 bikes on a purely prototype formula is beyond me.

9. If the 4 Japs (yes I know Kawasaki is out ) plus Ducati supported , in whatever way, 4 bikes thats 20. Just need a couple of ring in dreamers with "experimental" bikes and you'd go close.

As I said before though its not just numbers, a closer field is what makes it interesting.We have a small group of riders on the best bikes...daylight...and then the also rans.So we need to get rid of the superfreaks making everyone else look bad...