Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

It's a small world, isn't it?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by [FLUX], Mar 1, 2007.

1. Just a useless bit of trivia, but went to lunch with my boss, and mentioned how he didn't trust me, the crazy motorcycle guy, to get him to sushi in one piece. He then tells me that his brother, Jason Black, is one of the trio, along with Nick Ienatsch (aka. "The Pace" guy, and co-founder of the SportRider magazine), and my boss often when riding with Nick.

It's odd. Just when you think there's 7 degrees of separation to knowing people, you then go and find out that there's really 2, and work and pleasure are more co-joined then you thought.

Nothing spectacular really, but just interesting to this old hand that the more I travel, the smaller the world seems to get.

Still, made for a more entertaining lunch conversation when you can get to cross outside interests along with work topics.
  2. The Equatorial radius of earth is 6,378.137 km.
    It's circumference is 40,075.02 km.

It is extremely unlikely that these attributes have undergone any noticeable physical change in your lifetime.

3. Ktulu, you are an idiot :p

Fascinating connections, Stew :).
  4. Aww shucks, Paul. Sweet of you to say'n all... :grin:
  5. I thought that by definition, 1 meter was 1/10millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the equator, which co-incidentally is 1/4 of the way around the planet.

How odd, then, that the planet is not exactly 40,000kms in circumference.
  6. It was supposed to be when they defined it, but they measured wrong.

When they found out (years later) everyone said "well, we've defined it now, so let's keep it that distance"

I believe the metre was until recently the only "problem" SI unit that had it's definition as "a bar of platinum in france" (or is it switzerland?).
  7. Actualy that was the original 'oficial' measuremanet but since 1983 it's the length of the path travelled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second.

Much more acurate me thinks :p
  8. The current standard is based on a certain proportion of a certain light (orange I think). The platinum block is historical
  9. Wrong, thats what it used to be. see above for current definition.

Heres the history
  10. hey, I concede
  11. LOL, i should think so.
    After all 3 fifths of a bees d1ck of 2 tenths of sweet fuk all realy matters to us bike rideing rocket scientists :p
  12. *sings*

It's a small world after all... it's a small world after all... it's a small world after all its a small small world
  13. :shock: Too many brainy science-types on one page for my liking :-s
  14. Cathar, the other week I was at Inverell, NSW, population of roughly 11,000.

Across from my motel was the east inverell bowling club, they're open one night a week for dinner.. tuesdays. So I go across, get my dinner, everyone is looking at me, one guy in particular.
    As I'm ready to leave he says, How are you Tanya? He was a guy from another forum I'm on and he recognised me..

I've run into people in the main street of Rockhampton who know me from living in Vic.. Always seem to run into someone I know :)
  15. He he I know someone over the internet from Rockhampton. Just thought I'd add that to the small world syndrome :)
  16. Hey, right up my alley as a Navigator(I'd better get this right now 8-[ ). The North-South pole thing you might be thinking of is the Nautical Mile. Any line of longitude running from North to South pole subtends 180 degrees at the centre of the Earth(90 North through to 0 at the equator through to 90 South). Divide each of those 180 degrees into 60 minutes of latitude and each minute of latitude gives you 1 nautical mile. This is equal to about 2024 metres. Of course, there is a slight error because the Earth is not perfectly round, it is squashed at the Poles which is called.....wait for it.... AN OBLATE SPHEROID!

This doesn't work the other way(across the globe) as the minutes of longitude are actually of different length depending on their distance from the equator. On the equator, 1 minute of longitude = 1nm. But by the time you approach the Pole, 1 minute of longitude approaches 0.
  17. Phwooooaaarrr! I'm from Rocky! [/end sarcasm] :p :LOL:

I actually run into more poeple I know from Rocky in Brisbane than I do in Rocky......I don't blame them, the only thing to do there is drink....not that that's a bad thing....speaking of drinking, it's getting that time of week! \:D/
  18. I seem to run into mates all the time, wherever I go. I guess that's expected when the only friend I have is me... :cry:

It's friday afternoon...
  19. I'll be your friend :beer: :)