Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

It was worth the wait

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by BugzR34, Oct 14, 2015.

1. #1 BugzR34, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    As you probably have seen from my other thread you will know that I got my full unrestricted license yesterday after a year long time wait on my red P's.
    I am in my early 30s so avoid the three year wait :).
    I have been consistently riding a Ninja 300 and loved the bike.

I went through the same dilemma as many p platers before and thought about getting an exhaust and a chip and get some power out of the Ninja.
    Instead I left it stock and did my time by learning how to become a better rider.

Well I tell you what guys it's definitely worth waiting.

I was finally able to ride my first unrestricted bike today with my bro and a mate down the Old Pacific hwy.
    I couldn't believe how confidence inspiring a bigger bike is.

It feels planted through most corners and little bumps which used to unsettle my little Ninja 300 were absorbed with no issues by my new bike.

Old Pac was wet unfortunately this morning due to recent rains but we still went out and couldn't believe how confident I felt in the wet.

Now looking forward to my 4th track day on my new bike next month.

I try to get out most weekends to Old Pac. With a new Bub being born in June I only get a few hours to ride on the weekend so no long rides for me for a while. So all everyone on Lams bikes out there, do your time and become a better rider, once you get that first unrestricted bike you will fall in love with motorcycling all over again. And please don't jump to a 1000cc, 600 is PLENTY :).

Below is a pic of my bike. First one on the right is my 2001 GSXR 600 next to my bros k8 GSXR 600 and my mates 675 Daytona. Bit of a coincidence that we all had black bikes :).
    image. image. image.
    • Like Like x 26
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Keep the rubber side down mate and have fun. Nice ride.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Those older gixxers look better than the new ones IMO.

4th track day? Not mucking around......

I'm still amping up for my first track day, though not sure I'm too keen to do it on a bike I commute daily on. Would hate to trash it.

I'm coming to the end of my LAMS period but have been lucky enough to ride a couple of unrestricted bikes from generous loaners. Threw a leg over a Street triple R and a sick Buell stroked race bike which was so awesome it was ridiculous.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Sexy looking bikes. I'm swayed towards the Daytona (it's neck and neck between that and an 899 for the hottest bike at the moment in my eyes) but those Suzukis look great.

Have fun, ride within your limits, and keep the smiles coming.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah track days is the only way I can get better as a rider without getting speeding tickets everywhere. Learned that lesson from my younger car days :(.

I really like the street triple and wanted one but this gixxer was too good of a deal to pass up. It's also my daily commuter so wanted something not too expensive. Definitely looking forward to getting to know the bike better and I am a bit old school in how I like my bikes without too many electronic gizmos.
    Definitely give older sports bikes a go as they will keep most of us new riders entertained for a few years to come. Enjoy your post Lams experience :).
  6. I had my K9 600 for four years

Its like learning to ride all over again, 2nd time I road the 600 coming off the 250, wheelied the thing after giving it some berries and promptly smashed my royal's on the tank upon landing, good times!

I would get a track bike if I were you. I totaled this bike in street trim, took me four months to rebuild, the fairing fixings are ridiculously expensive
  7. Agree on learning to ride again lol. I am mega cautious with the throttle at the moment. Still haven't taken her above 10k rpm.
    I will most likely turn this into a track bike as the bike was bought off my bro for a good price < $3k. I have only done track days on my previous Lams bikes.
    Once I start doing more I will def get track bike setup as I already have a trailer I can borrow off my bro.
  8. if only I had got my L's a few months earlier.
    guess it'll be a while before I ride a non lams bike :whistle:
  9. mean looking GSXR though, was thinking of a similar model myself actually
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I had to look up that bike on the end due to the cute rear trailing arm, and found this risible video.
  11. Congrstulations it is a great feeling i got my fukl liscence 2 years ago... the freedom to ride what you want is worth the wait.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I went through the HART Honda to complete my L and restricted period tests, I was the only one whose turned up on my bike with L plates on and the other 10 people had never ridden in the 3 month L stretch. After talking to them they where saying they will wait for restricted period and go straight to R1. I couldn't believe it, and after questioning one he said maybe an R6 first then. IMHO you have to do your time, in different conditions over a period, you shouldn't go straight to powerful so props to you for sticking with it and for anyone else contemplating not learning properly, it's your skin and potentially some innocents as well you are messing with
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Totally agree mate, having a low powered bike has saved me on numerous occasions over the last 12 months, especially in those first few months.

By taking the time to practice riding a motorbike properly I have developed certain skills which I feel now come automatically to me, whilst before I had to think about every little element.

By having these automated skills I now have the capacity to really think about throttle control, I feel that for a lot of new riders the sheer power they have to deal with will overwhelm them and a lot of survival instincts will kick in which will potentially cause a crash.

So yeah definitely listen to the majority of experienced riders out there who promote taking the time to learn motorcycling on a lower powered bike and upgrade gradually.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. I sold my CB400 something like 8 months ago (while still on my restrictions) and have been bike-less since then. Until last Sunday.

Bought a 2010 Bandit 1250S and other than parking/slow speed manoeuvring, every other aspect of riding is easier. The immense low end torque makes riding in any circumstance (except perhaps wet? yet to try it) way easier.

I thought the jump in size - around 50 kilos of bike more - and double the power would make life harder. Nope.

Turned 30 not too long ago but I think of myself as somewhat mature-minded. So the power isn't really going to my head. It's mainly in the mindset I reckon. And I guess certain bikes are just more sensible and forgiving.

Did some riding courses after my licence (HART "advanced 1" IIRC) and read Twist of The Wrist, but I'm not sure how much these helped. I'm a bit paranoid when on two wheels and like to use other vehicles as shields when I can. Definitely don't ride in as 'fun' a manner as almost every other rider I see on the street :p
    • Like Like x 1
  15. #16 jstava, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    When I got my 1250 Bandit, I thought I was never going to get the fine throttle control right, and was annoyed by the "wandering" of the speedo out on the road. - it required too many looks at it to maintain speed at a steady legal level. A few lengthy wet rides fixed that. A noisier exhaust can give auditory clues. Mine is non-stock (megacycle) and not really loud enough to give much away at the legal limit out on the road, though it works in lower gears around town. What you do get with the Bandit is around 85% of torque available from around 3K revs. that translates to a very linear power delivery with no "big kick" coming somewhere up higher in the rev range. It's easier to dial up just as much more urge you want from anywhere in the rev range above about 2700rpm If you want more you can use gears, but it really isn't necessary. It's very safe that way and no Jekyl and Hyde like behaviour under throttle.

I agree heartily about not rushing into buying a much more powerful bike as soon as one can. A mid weight bike is a very wise choice to learn on so long as it is not intimidating to begin with.

Riding a lesser powered bike in the swervery causes one to develop smoothness and concentrate on lines to the point where they become instinctive; It is too easy to get distracted by the rush of power and forget much of that if it hasn't had time to sink in and just become a part of how one rides. There are too many "point and squirt" riders out there who have it all wrong, obvious by the way they go rushing into corners.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Not blowing my own horn but my most memorable track day was on my little cbr250rr at eastern creek about 3 years ago. After completing about 6 track days on the 250, I was getting very good at wringing the little beasts neck out and using most of the track, so I was competent but by no means fast, especially on mid range sports touring tires which were smoking after each session.

Anyways I turned up to the track alone on this particular day and met a fellow on an amazing looking cross plane R1, it had all the golden bling you could think off and beautiful custom fairings. I started talking to him and his mates turned up all on fairly new liter bikes. There was about 6-8 of them, only one guy had a 600. They were all there on their first track day except one of their mates who was quite experienced, lets just say all their bikes were blinged up and they like to hang out in big groups and some of them even ride around with P’s on their litre bikes!…..i will leave it at that.

After talking to them about their bikes attention to turned to my little beast, they all scoffed at the little bike, I told it’s actually a pretty fun track bike I told them, they looked at me funny.

A few minutes later they all left to join their experienced mate in his garage leaving me and my little beast all alone, ah well, I was not there to socialize…but to have some fun!

First session we go out and I started at the back of the pack, 2nd corner I notice someone’s come off, and his mate on the bike stopped in the middle of the track to help him, after all the instruction we have been given not to stop on track!

Second session I notice I have started next to my mates blinged up R1, by the end of the session I have lapped in him??? How I can lap someone at my pace I had no idea!, I have not lapped anyone since,

Third session I get into the groove, I notice all my new friends are all the guys weaving all around the track aimlessly, all their lines are wrong, they have no idea where they are on track, getting massively on the power down any little straight and slamming on the brakes at every bend, I am flying past multiples of them, I litterly out brake 5 of them down turn 5 and pass them on the outside!!!

By fourth session, one of them boys comes up to and tells me ‘everyone talks about you, how do you manage to ride that thing like that???’ I told him ‘everyone’s talking about you boys too!’ – which they were

By the fifth session they pack two of their smashed bikes on a trailer and are on their way, one of the guys is close to tears, his new bike destroyed.

I get talking to them some more, most of them were on their P’s, they had never even been on a smaller bike, I guess the moral of the story is you got to learn to crawl before you can learn to walk

I have been to a lot more track days at EC since, I see the same faces all the time, but I have never run into any one of those guys. Jumping straight onto a litre bike must have is not only a great way to hurt your self but also it’s a quick way to ruin your enthusiasm for a such an awesome hobby
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  17. An excellent case in point.

As a general philosophy, it's always more rewarding to me personally to not go quite so hard, but do it better and feel better about it. It also helps with pain management - usually in avoiding the pain altogether.

Nobody can learn it all at once, but with the right guidance one can push the slope of the learning curve.

Courses and track days are an excellent way of doing this, and either of these on their own is a bit of a waste of time without the other, though courses without track days for some reflective practice are better value than track days without structure if one genuinely wants to improve their handling than simply going to the track for a fast fang with mates, as these guys were doing.

THIS "I guess the moral of the story is you got to learn to crawl before you can learn to walk" is something that some people, unfortunately, just have to learn the hard way. Shame really, particularly where the learning occurs on the road.

You don't need the biggest, fastest mount to have a lot of fun on a motorcycle.
  18. If its your only daily commute do not risk it. Also depends on you. I have advised a few track day novices to take it really easy even in slow groups, only for them to highside the next session. If you are heavy on the throttle then maybe wait till you get a dedicated track bike or another daily commuter.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. I had a ninja 250 which I took on two track days and a ninja 300 which went on one track day. Both were daily commuters. I find that my mentality is a little different when I ride on a bike which I then need to go home on. I tend to take less risks and aim to be smooth and less agressive.
    My last track day was in a yellow group on my ninja 300.
    I had trouble keeping up with bikes on the straight as I was the only one on a Lams bike but my corner speed had improved as I was keeping up with some 600cc bikes.
    I dropped back to white group for my next track day as I now need to slow down and fine tune my throttle control on a much more powerful bike.
    Fingers crossed I don't bin the bike but my approach is quite conservative and I do track days to become a better rider on the road and not too keen to "race" anyone on the day.
    Will see how I go, if I start having too many close calls I will definitely invest in a track bike. My choice would be a Ninja 300 with slicks.
    • Like Like x 1