Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

It was only a matter of time.....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by dale, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Well, this day had to come.

Had my eyes tested today, and the result is I'll be getting my first pair of glasses. :shock: :cry: Explains why I've been suffering severe headaches.

For those of you that wear glasses, how do you manage with them under your helmet? Any tricks and tips?

2. If your game and your eyes are suitable, consider contact lenses. I have disposables (use them for a month then chuck them away) and they are much better than glasses. More like your real eyes. Once they are in you don't even notice them. Ask the optometrist about a trial pair.

3. i recently had to get glasses as well. its not fun. but i can read street names at night again! :)

4. I had an HJC helmet that was a little bit of a struggle to get the glasses in.

I've since gotten a SHOEI helmet, and it actually has grooves that are MADE for the arms of sunnies/glasses. Really comfy.

1) Take glasses off.
    2) Put on helmet.
    3) Open visor.
    4) Put glasses back on through visor.
    5) Do up helmet straps.
    6) Get on bike.
    7) Choke off.
    8) Ride to top of driveway & indicate.
    9) Shake fist at traffic.
    10) Swear at that bloody Ford Territory driver who ALWAYS drives down your street when you're about to get out on the road.
    11) Close visor & move off.
    12) Cancel indicator.
    13) Have fun, ride safe.

5. When you go to see what sort of frames you want, make sure you take your helmet with you to see how they feel under the helmet and whether they ride up or feel uncomfortable.

Contacts are good but not everybody can use them (my prescripion is no good with contacts) and not everybody likes them. If you can use them then go with them (with the disposables it's easy to make sure you've always got spares)

6. I use glasses under my (HJC) helmet and have no hassles at all.

7. If you get a flip-faced helmet it's easy to put the lid on and take it off without dislodging glasses or sunnies...

8. When you go to see what sort of frames you want, make sure you take your helmet with you to see how they feel under the helmet and whether they ride up or feel uncomfortable.

Contacts are good but not everybody can use them (my prescripion is no good with contacts) and not everybody likes them. If you can use them then go with them (with the disposables it's easy to make sure you've always got spares)

9. i wear a fullface helmet and have no drama wearing my glasses.

they are of the thin rim variety and there is no discomfort whatsoever.

only prob i have is remembering to have the case to store 'em in on my person.

10. I wear glasses, and have had no problems. Like Tonye says, depends on ur glasses. get a flexi frame type. they will be easier to put in ur helmet, and wont crack as easy.

11. As above, if you can wear contacts, do.

Once you're used to them, they're pretty easy to get in, easier to get out and you don't notice them at all during the day.

They never fog up on cold days, you don't have to remember to take them off before you take your helment off, it's easy to carry some spares for the unlikely event of something happeneing to them whilst out riding.

12. I don't think I could go the contacts route. I hate *anything* near my eyeballs, let alone willingly putting things on them and then taking them off. I can't even go swimming without wearing goggles.

I didn't even think of getting my helmet and then trying frames. Just went in (was driving the cage), got tested and then selected frames. Will have to see how they go with the current helmet, although it's about time I got a new helmet so this could be a perfect excuse to go shopping.

Might have to look at flip-face lids. Always thought about getting one.

13. ditto

i maybe the only one here who has done it (well admit to it anyway!!) but it is rather import to do step 1 befor jumping to step 2 ](*,)
    it won't happen at first (as you get used of the glasses) but after a while you forget they are on and .... well... you can figure out what happens if you miss step 1

14. I have done it with sunnies.

but since then bought a new helmet and a tinted visor.

15. I also wear glasses and have a HJC helmet, no problems here either. It also has the advantage that you can ride with the visor open when its hot without the wind (or flying animals) in your eyes :grin:

16. You will get used to contacts. The peripheral vision improvement alone is worth any short term inconvenience.

And you don't touch your eye - the lense does and the same for removing them.

So long as your eyes are suitable, try them, am sure you wont be disappointed with the results,

17. Pretty much same... except..

1. Open visor.
    2. Put on Helmet.
    3. Adjust your ears... <-- :LOL: :LOL:
    4. Do up the straps.
    5. Slowly slide your glasses in.

Hop onto the bike and close the visor before you go..

I find that if you don't adjust your ears properly.. you might have trouble sliding your glasses in..

18. Ask you optometrist for titanium frames, and ones that fit close to your head so you can slide them on easily with your helmet on.... easy.

19. I had problems with a pair of titanium framed glasses. They were extremely light and comfortable, however after putting them on the helmet would squeeze the arms which then lifted the frames off my nose. Then they just vibrated up and down. PITA.

20. I used to have that with my current helmet. I think I've worn a groove in the padding where they sit, so it's not a problem any more.

And yeah. Don't under ANY circumstances try putting your helmet on when you're still wearing the glasses. It tends to hurt.