Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

It was bound to happen: First time being hit by a car.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by golgy, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Thankfully, this isn't a sad story about a tragic accident that I've had, but I'm going to post a thread about it for both my own peace of mind, and for those who come along at a later date. Hopefully my jottings will be useful.

After a tad over 5 months of riding, I've had my first accident involving a car.

Backstory:

I follow the same route every single time I commute to work. It's predictable, fairly low traffic and stimulates my mind enough to keep the monotony away. A stretch of New St, Brighton/Elsternwick had been resurfaced, and subsequently had started to come up due to the heatwave we had. Conditions had changed, so until the council organised it to be resurfaced yet again I took that stretch very carefully.

Circumstances were as follows:

I had begun my journey from home, and came across the torn up bits of bitumen on New St. At this point, I slowed to roughly 50km/hr as there were dinner-plate sized bits of the road missing. Approaching the roundabout at the corner of New St and Bent Ave - Brighton/Elsternwick, the road had large chunks missing, so i slowed to roughly 25-30km/hr to take the turn - noticing a black SUV/4WD around 30-35 meters from the intersection.

The intersection as per google maps :

Google map of the intersection

I entered the intersection at approximately 20 - 25km/hr, and was almost out of the intersection as the SUV/4WD hit the rear of my bike. The bike threw a wobble, and I managed to hold on and execute an emergency stop as my rack bag exploded behind me. I'm counting my lucky stars that I didn't drop the bike or come off. Damage to the bike is currently unknown and is going to be looked at next Tuesday. It's ridable.. but there's a few new sounds in the back - quite annoying after I had it serviced just last week.

The driver stopped, and admitted fault - she was more hysterical than I was. Details were exchanged, and the call to the insurance company indicated that it'd be a no-fault claim. At this point I still feel that I'm in shock. I've got the shakes - but the adrenaline has worn off and I've got achey joints and a mild headache.

I'm keen to learn if there's much more I can do. Given that the driver probably wasn't going to stop and give way ( or at least, moreso ) I'm tempted to say there's no more preparation I could have done.

EDIT: I went to the local police statement to grab a stat dec form, but the officer on duty recommended that I make a police report instead, as the stat dec wouldn't help me for my insurance ( I was wanting to cover my ass just in case the driver turned around and tried to claim I was at fault ). Not entirely sure if there'll be any action from this.

2. buy her some glasses.
    that blows. i guess the driver of said SUV didnt think craters were worth adjusting her soccer mum style of driving. you slow. she prob was looking in front of you (remember you dont exist) and thats that. you're ok, the bikes covered and its friday. go have a few beers tonight.

3. that really blows :/ i think that your really quite fortunate to end up virtually unscathed.

4. Hmm, nearby places - Caulfield Grammar School

Collision wasn't between 8:30-9:30 by any chance?

5. more than likely... im going to go old man for a sec. when i was a boy the only way we got driven to school was is there was a huricane present. even then we still had to walk the last 500m. i could even cross a road all by myself.. ah thats better. off topic

6. Elwood schools, Brighton Grammar, Star of the Sea, Firbank.. They're all around. She had a child in the car, too.

7. I hope you gave her the token line "whaddareya blind lady????"

FFS is it so hard for these people to look where they are driving. :roll:

8. It is clear she did not see you...but you did notice her. 30 meters is not far from the intersection so you should be able to notice if she is going to slow down or not and keep an eye on her. If you can't 100% tell she is going to stop it would be wise to stop and give her way. But if in this situation you decided to take a turn be quick and keep her in your mirrors. Always assume they don't see you.

So many times I almost had to stop on roundabouts seeing a car approaching at speed and hitting the brakes at the last moment...how can you tell if they are going to stop at all? The only option left is to anticipate the worst and be prepared.

9. It was not Bound to happen, YOU are in charge of your immediate surroundings.
    YOU should have been aware of what was about to transpire as you were watching events unfold.
    YOU have learnt a valuable lesson about never trusting schol intersections and women in 4wd's
    Glad you are not hurt.

10. +1 definitely!

11. Horses use blinkers, humans use SUVs.

Good on ya for staying right side up, be buggered wondering if I could manage it.

12. Absolutely correct smee. There is none of this 'inevitable' crap. If that is the way people are thinking, get off a bike and get back into a car or walk.

13. +1 There doesn't sound like there was anything remotely unavoidable about this 'accident'. Adopting a fatalistic approach to riding is _very_ dangerous.

14. re: the past few posts saying the rider should have seen this coming and avoided it.

so, every time you see a car near you, you slow down and stop and wait till they're away from you? there is a limit to what is reasonable in pre-empting the situation and adjusting for that.

if im entering a roundabout, i am NOT going to give way to a car on my left, unless they are absolutely hammering through and its blindly obvious they arent stopping. to a certain extent, you need to assume cars will do the normal, and folllow road rules, and driver sensibly. note, i said a certain extent. if you literally believe every car is out to get you as we often say, and avoid them all with paranoia, it will take forever to get anywhere on the road.

to the OP, good to hear you are relatively ok, get a check-up at the doc/ER, especially since you mentioned a headache. whiplash isnt fun. good job on keeping the bike up, make sure it gets fully checked out, a direct hit from behind can easily bend the rear subframe/damage a swingarm and such.

i hope everything works out quickly and easily for you.

15. HARSH!!!!!

HARSH!!!!!
    The OP's best intentions with his post have been overlooked by all of you!
    From the height of your soapboxes, it couldn't be seen that the OP was sharing/relating an incident (fortunately for the OP he wasn't hurt) to hopefully benefit others from this experience ... I'm sure the OP feels quite badly enough without the three of you slamming into him as well!

Good on you Nibor, +1!

16. I agree with everybody in this....

I wasn't there so i'm not going to say whether it was avoidable or not but generally if you're looking around and anticipating traffic, 90% of the time you will get out of the situation unscathed. The thing with the OP though is he has less than a years riding under his belt so i don't think we should be so critical of him. I've been hit from behind in the cage before due to me reacting to a threat and the car behind me trying to gun it through the lights before it turned red. Given he SHOULD have checked his mirrors but realistically, that doesn't always happen especially when someone is reacting to another threat. Personally I've learned my lesson and take a quick peek in the mirrors to check im not being tailgated in case i need to stop in a hurry but it's a bit excessive to say that the OP should have known better, I think he should just be counting his lucky stars and learn from it (which im sure he has).

Now with this out of the way, i have to say from the title of the thread and general just of the information posted i have to say it looks like the OP does have a fatalistic approach and really does need to kerb it. I don't think it's a healthy way to approach riding as it doesn't prepare one for the worst. There's enough people that think riding is an instant death sentence, we dont' need fellow riders thinking it too.

Now with that i'll leave you lot to continue whinging and i'll get back to work.

OP hope you check out okay and your bikes cheap to fix. This lesson will improve your riding, you are going to be that much more vigilant due to it so take the bad with the good.

Good luck to you,

Cheers

17. I thnk what some of you are forgetting about is human reaction time.

The other day in the cage I was going straight through a round-a-bout and some idiot coming from my left TOTALLY ignored that I was there and went straight through infront of me, causing me to almost T bone him.

Now, I saw this fellow quite early, and it even seemed like he might not be slowing down. But there was a breif period of time where I am looking at him coming towards me and still on the accelerator. It wasn't even a matter of reaction time, it was processing time. Through your mind your going "Hmm this guys going quick....wow I wonder if he will stop...wait I don't think he is stopping......Oh crap I should hit the brakes!" Then you have to factor in how long it takes for your muscles to get the message from your brain, and actually move the foot to the brake pedal.

The whole thing was start to finish like a 3 second event, its suprising how much distance can be covered in that time and how much your current road situation can change.

From the OP's comment he claimed to see the car coming about 30 meters out? I don't know what sort of speeds were involved but 30 meters doesn't allow for much.

However what some of you are saying is dead on regarding the "Well I am going to crash ONE day" aproach. Most accidents, I am sure there is something the rider can look at in hindsight and think they should have changed. But there are still some accidents that occur where even the most experienced rider simply couldn't avoid. Sometimes its just down to luck. At least in my view anyway.

18. Cheers. I wasn't going to fan the flames by making that point, but I'm glad someone piped up.

Given I had just rolled up to the roundabout and with a car so far away still it wasn't such a silly thought to have that I'd be fine. In fact, given that I made it 95% through the roundabout anyway, it could have gone either way. No braking from the driver; I'd hazard a guess she doesn't usually brake at any roundabout let alone this time.

Ta - My body finally decided to let me know it was okay Saturday night. Slept like a baby, snoring by the time my head hit the pillow! Visually, the bike doesn't look like it has been tapped - maybe it was just my rack bag that copped it. It's going in anyway just to be sure.

19. fcukin hell some netwarriors on here are just out of touch with reality.

+1 Nibor

everyones first time is special. mine was a gold dihatsu matiz up the clapper at a stop light

yes watchout but fair game you cant always be watching behind you mid corner ect.

lucky your fine

20. Same could be said about riders thinking they're bulletproof because they know every accident is avoidable.

There is an inherent risk in riding a motorcycle, face up to it you're better off knowing what you're up against.