Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

It was a party this morning

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Micky, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Rode to work this morning, from the get go I managed to get myself in between a 4x4 driver at the front (both of his brake lights were gone, unpredictable braking habits, braking at the last minute, random delays when moving off, had tinted windows so couldn't see if he was talking to someone or texting or fiddling with his privates) and an impatient as hell prick right up my ass (kept about a second of distance behind me through the initial 50km then 60km zones, when waiting at traffic he was not much more than a meter from my rear, beeped at me solidly 4 times and half a dozen or so mini beeps in the ~2km that he was behind me urging me to close the gap at the front). It was drizzling, road was narrow and the conditions were less than desirable so I had to put up with it until it widened up to two lanes connecting onto the main roads.

As soon as it widened up to two lanes the guy behind me switched to the left lane and took off, I was in the right lane and could see about a dozen and half cars down the road the lane was held up by a truck waiting to turn right at the intersection, I wasn't in a hurry and having just gotten my bike back on Monday arvo I was happy to just be on it and waited patiently. After a while there was no cars moving to the left lane from either in front of or behind me, was bit strange I thought so two long and assuring head checks later I indicated and started to move off, at that exact time the 4x4 screeched its tires, no indicator, moved out right in front of me and took off.

I stopped and let him zoomed down the road, when he had passed the truck side by side the car directly behind the still waiting to turn truck, who by then must have gotten tired of waiting, decided to moved off to the left lane, at that time I was about a dozen cars behind. What followed I could swear was orchestrated in secrecy, 6 cars all moved to the left one after another after the one in front of it, so my frontal clearance went from a dozen or so cars down to 10, to 9, to 7, to 4, to 1, all within seconds, not one of them acknowledged the horn or checked or stopped in their path. Good thing I had a solid amount of buffer to begin with however still had to veer all the way to the left inches away from the gutter to avoid all of them.

The rest of the way was trouble-less, until I turned left at an intersection, which consists of two lanes, the left extends into the footpath, sort of like a mini-lane, a little stopping bay for drop off, enough for two cars. As I turned I saw the car with the right indicator on and its wheel at an angle, I moved to the right lane to buffer and slowed down, then, without warning, he moved off and did a U turn across both lanes, up and over the cement middle divider (god awful scratched sounds from the underbelly) and finished at the opposite traffic before noticing me. I had stopped dead by then and after catching his glance, gave him a thumbs up and rode off.

Getting a GoPro 2 next week, wish I had it today already, it was a party.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Well maybe now, you'll stop relying on/ going for your horn, and spend those brain cycles where it'll be vastly more usefull.
    Horns are a waist of time except in very specific circumstances, and even then, I think it's far easier to just manouverability your bike around, brake, swerve, down change gears, or scratch your canasta's!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I was heading in to work on citylink, did some silly moves in between then when I was dong to 'right thing' clear road and some young numb nuts jumps in my lane last minute I thought Karma, but still got alongside and screamd still had visor down lol but he knew he did wrong and stayed way behind me in traffic. Thought, well another day keep the eyes opened :)
  4. have to agree with you there... had a lady trying to turn left from the right hand lane on the way to work.. she was f lusted and looked scared .... people beeping there horns big trucks flying passed.. she was that scared she froze.. probably didn't help that i got off my bike and knock on the window to see if she was ok... she looked at me weird and i realized i still have my skull mask on lol...
  5. Agree completely with Raven. The only time I will use the horn is where observation/my spidey senses tell me that the driver of a specific vehicle has failed to clock my presence and may be about to pull into my path. Then I'll give them a little beep just to get therm to turn and look at me before they're committed to the manouver.

Once they're rolling (if they're coming out of a side turning) or seriously changing course (if they're changing lanes), the horn is, IMHO, useless. You're far better off taking evasive action than fumbling around for a button for the sole purpose of venting your spleen.
  6. The horn came from a good portion of panic reaction I have to admit, haven't been riding all that long, about 4 months and <2,000km, and to be honest this is the first time I've felt like I didn't have good control of the situation, did give myself plenty of space at all times and was observant, just didn't know until finding out first hand how abruptly something can tumble into a cluster of shitty situations. Came out harmless and learnt a lesson and live to ride another day :)
  7. Yup. Good lesson. When things go bad, they can go bad very fast indeed. Often too fast for even an alert and experienced rider to cope with reliably. Which, of course, is why you need to build the knowledge, experience and self reflective abilities that will help you to recognise and avoid the situations where things are likely to go bad in the first place.

For example, if I've understood you correctly, you were in a lane of freely moving traffic and the adjacent lane was stopped because of the truck waiting to turn right. As I've said before on NR, a situation like this should always be considered high risk. Sure, you've got the right of way but inevitably some numpty will pull out of the stationary queue without checking and will then proceed to accelerate like an arthritic snail so it pays to have your eyes open, your brakes covered and a bit of a buffer between you and the potential threat vehicles any time you find yourself in this situation.

Not having a go, BTW, just trying to ensure that you get some practical benefits out of the experience.

8. Spot on. I would have bet $100 that at least one car would pull out.

I ride along a bus route quite often.

The number of cars that follow blindly behind the bus, only to JUMP into the 2nd lane the moment the bus indicates its stopping.....it happens every day, like clockwork.

Im teaching my nephew to drive - and he is amazed that I can predict lights about to change (pedestrian waiting), or cars about to change lanes (when they edge towards the line etc).

2000km is not a lot if experience. You'll need to try to read these situations better.
  9. bugger the camera.
    i'd be taking a gun with me next time.