Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

IT nerd help required. [case closed] :)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by _joel_, Jan 4, 2008.

1. at some stage in the last week, my wireless router downstairs was given a beer. no, really, somebody decided that it wasnt having enough fun, so decided to give it a beer.
    "no worries" i say, ill just buy another.
    so off i go to purchase a plain old 802.11g wireless router, 4 blahblah, and etc. blah blaahh.
    i get home, hook her all up, follow all instructions....and i have internet. yay.
    as i decided to get comfortable and post whore some forums and shit i notice that i cant access NR. oh bugger, must be the server thingy again, then i try another site - no love.
    so - whilst i have access to 90% of the interwebz, it wont let me see some sites.
    i bypass the router, chucking the laptop straight on to the adsl modem, and all of a sudden.....full internetz!?

so.....what did i do wrong? and why wont my wireless let me whore the forum?
    i reckon it's an inside job ;)

2. Part time nerd to the rescue...

What does the browser return when you try and go to the sites?

I would maybe try a hard reset to begin with and try and set the router back up.. doesnt sound like anything serious.
  3. Joel........ didn't you get the email off Vic...... :roll: :roll:

Take a hint mate :rofl: :LOL: :cheeky:
  4. Grab this

and peg your MTU back to 1400 on the wi-fi interface. Payment in the form of beer or '06/'07 Fireblades please :grin:
  5. +1 to The Yak. This has all the hallmarks of an MTU fragmentation issue.

6. i renewed some DHCP thingy in the status option, and i had NR for a brief moment.
    its not only the wifi thats acting up, its any time i connect via the poofy new router.
    modem -> router -> PC all via Lan cables = no love
    modem -> PC = Love

i just dont understand why its only SOME sites....like a DNS issue...
  7. Are you sure Mummy and Daddy have not installed Net Nanny on your computer???? HAHAHAHAHA :LOL:

Seriously, sounds like the router has had a spit - hard reset it and start again.

Cheers - Paul
  8. Hi Joel, As The Yak and I said probably MTU, this gets a bit obscure but the simple answer is that the maximum size of a packet of data is 1500 on the local Ethernet segment. The protocol that ADSL uses most commonly is PPPoE which uses some part of a packet for its own housekeeping overhead. It is usual in a Modem - router situation such as you have to set the MTU figure in your Router to be 1492 or less.

To complicate matters when you connect to a remote site you take different routes through different ISP's along the way. Some routers do not handle fragmentation correctly, we won't go into why, the upshot is that some sites you will get to others you will not. In the router you will find a MTU setting box, usually in the area that sets up the WAN or Internet side of the box. By default it is probably set to 1500. Try setting this to 1498 or 1452 dropping by 8 each time until it works. A more methodical method is to use the Ping command from a Dos command box.

C:\>ping -f -l 1500 netrider.net.au
    Pinging netrider.net.au [] with 1500 bytes of data:

Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Ping statistics for

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\>ping -f -l 1452 netrider.net.au

Pinging netrider.net.au [] with 1452 bytes of data:

Reply from bytes=1452 time=270ms TTL=54
    Reply from bytes=1452 time=267ms TTL=54
    Reply from bytes=1452 time=277ms TTL=54
    Reply from bytes=1452 time=294ms TTL=54

Ping statistics for

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 267ms, Maximum = 294ms, Average = 277ms

Hope that makes sense. :)
  9. Re: IT nerd help required.

Quick and easy fix would be to run down the street and grab it a thinkshake and a kebab, it'll be back to normal the day after :)
  10. Is the router or the moden acting as your DHCP server?
    If it is both dissable the one on the router.
  11. thanks gents, all sorted.
    the router was doing the 1500 thingy, so put her back to 1492 and here i am :grin:
    and, they were both fighting over the dhcp thingo too. killed that on one of 'em and all is well.
    thanks doods! :beer:
  12. Who gets the beer :?: :?:
  13. We all do, WooHoo, Road trip to Mogo. :LOL: