Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

IT help pls!: Partition?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by Ktulu, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Hear ye, hear ye!
    So it falls to pass, fair Netriders, that I must call forth aid from the more knowledgable computarians amongst you!

Backstory:
    New computer: install XP - discover problem with a stick of RAM. Change and install RAM [all good] reformat and reinstall Windows XP: computer runs great.

I THOUGHT when I reformatted and installed, I formatted the same partition I used the first time... perhaps I was wrong.
    I'm meant to have a 320gig HD, but C: says Total Size = 127 GB.

Here's what Disk Management tells me:

[​IMG]

Now the questions!

1) Am I able to add that unallocated HD space to C: ?
    2) If I'm not, should I create a new partition in that unallocated space?
    3) If I create new partition, and do not select a new drive letter etc; will the computer act as though it just has one big partition and run without problems, even though it does have 2?
    OR
    4) Do I just have to bite the bullet, make a new drive in that partition and store non-critial items like music, games etc. there?

I guess my other option is to reformat AGAIN and make sure to only get 1 partition this time, but I'd prefer to avoid mucking around doing that if I can.

Advice both looked forward to and appreciated! :)

2.  Top
  3. Xp disk manager can't join the space together but 3rd party programs like partition magic can.

if you create a new partition in that extra space windows will need a drive letter to use it unless you know what you ar doing with mount points.

Personally i do this all the time except i put ALL critical stuff on the 2nd partition...that way if windows fluffs it i don't loose anything important.

C Drive = OS and installed programs,
    2nd partition (D?) = all other files for work school etc music crap etc.

this way if windows gets corrupted just reinstall OS and programs and away you go. I also redirect My Documents to D:\ as well so they are safe and secure...well as much as they can with Bill driving my PC.

my PC actually has 4 hard drives and multiple partitions per drive....i have internal backups between drive for disaster recovery.

4. yup, Drew's 'braces and a belt' approach is the go. Look at it this way, you might not have intended to have had this outcome, but fate has dealt you a hand whereby you can; use it.

5. torrent search for partition magic and all will be good again :)

6. Drews' Idea is the easiest, and makes good sense.

JJ

7. Well my advice is partly from experience and partly good practices at work.

I have had several PC crashes over the past few years and so far the only thing i lost wan my browser fovourite file because i forgot to store them on another drive.

If you find it useful and it helps... only too happy to help out, it's a PITA when data goes walkies

8. Done and fixed! :grin:

Cheers all.

Yeah, window's Disk Management totally doesn't give you the option.

9. It's a very good idea to have a second non os partition to store important stuff on. Worth considering for later.

10. or become even more nerdier, and install ubuntu on the second partition. it installs a boot manager which lets you choose between xp and ubuntu and you can access all your windows files from ubuntu and learn ALL about linux without having to completely migrate ;)

11. I wouldn't suggest using ubuntu as a guide to learn linux. It's very "windows like" by letting you use linux without actually learning it (not always a bad thing, lets "non geek like people" to be able to use it). It's also a good distro tho by being able to auto detect lots of hardware, nice packaging/update system but of course, you really don't need to know much about linux at all. Such as compiling anything (namely the kernel at very least). It kinda gets people who have no idea like to "boast" they use linux even through it took no "out of the box" thinking at all besides booting with a CD and clicking "install".

12. i disagree lots!!
    i think ubuntu is a fantastic way to learn the functionality of linux.
    giving someone redhat or similar and saying "have fun" in this day and age is like giving them an entertainment unit in a box with all chinese instructions.
    ubuntu lets a user become comfortable with the os environment, use of terminal etc. and then promotes further nerdiness, because you wanna know more.
    my first linux experience was with slackware ~12 years ago, but because the kids use windows at school, ubuntu is the OS that is installed downstairs. the kids can work it :)

13. If we're gunna get all geeky... download puppy linux, make yourself a totally complete and usable OS with office apps, browsing etc that will boot from a usb key.
    (much easier than Ubuntu's version)

Boot up and use gpart to do all the partitioning crap.

ooooor... just load up and install SUSE on your PC/laptop and tell M$ to go get rooted.

14. let's agree to disagree ;) My first linux experience was pre 1,0 kernel, most like in middle 91 *I think* farked if I know, too long ago.. Anyway, I thing it doesn't promote linux awareness because it literally works without needing to do anything "under the hood". It works very much like windows, any dumb sod can do it *if* it detects their hardware, if not, I've seen some major distressed posts from first time users who feel they are reading chinese characters when you ask someone to lspci, depmod etc to get some issues sorted. You can literally run linux without needing to learn _any_ linux ever to maintain (most) ubuntu boxes. I reckon it's a great distro but personally, don't think it's good to promote awareness simply because most humans are lazy. If it works, why bother with it? It's working....