Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Toecutter, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Hopefully the caps are seen as being ok :wink:

Anyway, my laptop has the message

"The ACPI BIOS in this system is not fully compliant with the ACPI specfication....read the README.TXT for possible owrkarounds......

...if you are unable to obtain an updated BIO or the latest BIOS supplied by your vendor is not ACPI comoplaint yuo can turn off ACI mode during test mode setup. To do this press F7 key when prompted....it will silenty disable ACPI and allow you to continue yoru installation"

So any ideas? I have gone into set-up (Windows 2000) and there is no "text mode", and all the other set-ups load up until the above message appears with the dreaded blue background.....

Thanks in advance
  2. What spec is the laptop? You're not trying to install windows 2000 on a 386 are you?

Anyway, it may pay you to find a working PC, log onto the laptop manufacturers website and see if you can get the latest BIOS flash upgrade.

Could just be that your hardware is too old.
  3. Thanks for the reply

Nah four year old laptop, and I've managed to log in :?

I'll go to HP website and see what happens
  4. Updated BIOS via www.hp.com and restarted (like it told me) and back to blue screen agin last few times.

The message on the screen also tells me to go to www.hardware-update.com - so if I get in again I'll see if I can get there.
  5. Have you installed 2000, if not have you tried switching ACPI off in the BIO's that should make 2000 install a non ACPI kernel.
  6. I've used the laptop every day, first time I've had this problem :?

So how do I make it a non ACPI kernel?? Or switch ACPI off in the bios??

Thanks again
  7. i'd go in to the bios disable acpi, reboot, go back into the bios enable acpi, reboot again.

Its not clever but I have seen pc bios settings just change for no apartent reason...
  8. As soon as you turn your laptop on you'll get a message saying press F2 or DEL to enter Setup. That's the BIOS. Once you're in there, the layout might appears as 6 - 8 options to click on in 2 separate colums, of a list of expandable options down one side.

You can have a hunt through there, or tell us what you see if you can get to that point, and we might be able to help you out further.

Also when you say you were using the laptop everyday, was this with Windows 2000 running? Or Windows 98? If Win 98, has the problem just occurred now that you're trying to install Windows 2000 on the laptop?

If you've been running Windows 2000 on the laptop fine, and your only seeing the message for the first time, it could be the bios batttery is startig to die, or a motherboard issue.
  9. Thanks Supplied

Yes have been using 2000 since I got the Laptop.

Interesting you mention the BIOS battery (didn't know it had one)....the system will only boot up when on battery power :?

I'll check out the other info you posted tomorrow, once I get my emails and work sorted for the day :cry:
  10. No worries :)

I had a quick look online for a bit more info.

This is during the install of Windows 2000

Manually install the Standard PC hardware abstraction layer (HAL): 1. Reboot the computer to restart Setup.
    2. When Setup starts again, press F7 when you see the "Press F6 if you need to install a third-party SCSI or RAID driver" screen.
    Windows automatically disables the installation of the ACPI HAL and installs the Standard PC HAL. You should also contact the manufacturer of your computer to obtain a BIOS that is fully ACPI compliant.

A few people had it in this one. It was suspected driver/software/virus issues.

With Windows XP you can do what is called a parrallel installation, where you install Windows XP, but specify a different installation folder. That was you can get access the info you have on the hard drive. You will need to reinstall all your programs again, unless you changed the pointers in the registry (major pain! i wouldn't attempt it)

It might might work for windows 2000.

Or you could get a external usb laptop hard drive case, and just chuck your HD in that. Copy the required files off it. Put in back in the laptop. Then run a new Windows 200o install from scratch, pressing F7 when prompted to press F6.

And the bios battery is known as the CMOS battery. I'm assuming latops have them aswell, intead of it being integrated into the motherboard.

Good luck anyway!