Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Issue with leaning to the right

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Taff 69, Mar 9, 2016.

1. I've been riding for around 18 months now and have a nagging issue that bugs the hell out of me. Why is it that I have a problem taking right turns or drifting out on a right turn on a roundabout ?? I have absolutely no problems with left turns at all. I'm right handed in day to day life and am beginning to wonder does that have something to do with the problem. Has anyone else had this problem or have any solutions as to how to fix this for me? Cheers.

2. is your bum centred on the seat? are you dropping one shoulder?
    you might feel all symmetrical, but probably not :D subtle changes in position can make left or right feel easier
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Or you may be counter steering less naturally than to the left as you're not pushing the right bar forward as much due to it being the throttle hand. Try and actively push forward in next set of rights and see if that improves it.
  4. We also favour one eye. Do you look far enough to the right? If you favour your right, do you use your peripheral vision looking right rather than turning to focus right?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Practise, practise, practise. It's not uncommon to have a preferred turn direction.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. As far as I know I'm centred. I'll have a check next time. Cheers
  7. Also most roads have a camber which means your abi,try to lean right is more limited than to left.

Almost everyone turns one way better than the other and the majority seem to be better turning left.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Will do. It's bloody frustrating but I'll try next trip. Cheers mate.
  9. That's something I had never really thought about. I suppose I had never really thought about how our peripheral vision works. Cheers
  10. It's still strange to have a preferred turn direction though isn't it ? Cheers for the reply GreydogGreydog
  11. #11 oldcorollas, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    I favour right turns, 'cos my back's wonky :)

my mate favours lefts, but she sits on the bike wonky :p
    • Like Like x 2
  12. No, it isn't. I prefer rights, although my lefts are getting better. In my case, I think it's bc my left eye is shit.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. And there I was thinking that it was just me. Cheers GreyBMGreyBM . You've made me feel a lot better about myself.
  14. I used to be terrified of roundabouts, especially the tiny tight ones. My right turns have always been worse than left ones. Just recently I noticed little bit of improvement. I agree with chillibuttonchillibutton, re the right hand being busy. My throttle control is still not good, so I tend to tense up more in my right hand and shoulder. Definitely agree with GreyBMGreyBM re camber issue, and I eventually managed to conquer roundabouts and u-turns when I started turning my head properly and looking where I wanted to go.
    • Like Like x 5
  15. I prefer left handers (corners/turns that is)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I find left turns more natural, I think camber plays some part due to confidence. Making sure I look properly thru the corner where I want to go helps. Main issue I find is I seem to want to turn in too early (staying to close to centre line), cars coming the other way strangely help in keeping my line wider for longer before turning in.

Bikes are great! Who would think of this siht driving a car.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Everybody has a side they prefer to corner.
    In Australia most people seem to favour the left handers, I believe this is because of the camber in the road.
    Most roads are raised up in the middle to allow water to flow off better during rain.
    Right handers are off camber, so they fall away from you and offer less grip, and less feeling of support.
    Left handers however lean into you, so you get more of an on-rails feeling (like a berm on a motocross track)
    Not all roads are like this, some always lean into the corner, but I believe all the off camber right handers that you come across put the idea in your sub-conscious that turning right is harder.
    There's also a feeling of security in regard to the space offered by the road, mess up on a left hander and you've still got a lane to correct yourself in(provided no car is coming) however if you mess up on a right, there's less room for error and you go into the ditch. Just a theory.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. I agree except for feeling of security in space on left hander - other side of the white line causes me more angst than running off the road on a right hander. Weird I'm sure.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. CaffeineMonsterCaffeineMonster I guess that one probably comes down to personal experience. Right hand corners have been more traumatic for me.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. No actual experience - but is easy to see would most likely be ones last experience. I always drive/ride my side of the road so that is my habit. If I touch the line it is a fail in my eyes - probably why right handers feel less comfortable for me as have natural tendency to want turn in early. Often find myself having to correct line due to it. Takes sometime to become comfortable with running wide late towards trees and outside or road before turning in for the wide in tight out philosophy. Getting there though.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1