Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Isle of Man has no speed limits on rural roads

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Sir Ride Alot, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Watching Top Gear tonight I nearly fell over when they said they would test 3 cars on the Isle of Man because there were no speed limits on rural roads.

Google searched it and found the web page below.

Driving on the Isle of Man

Driving a car in the Isle of Man is broadly similar to driving in the United Kingdom, and most traffic regulations are the same. As in the UK people drive on the left hand side of the road.

Unlike the UK there is no national speed limit. There are speed restrictions in built up areas, but after passing a 'National Speed Limit' sign there ceases to be any speed restriction, although people driving in a reckless manner may well be stopped by the police.

The Isle of Man issues its own driving licenses and the minimum age for driving a car is 16. Anybody who moves to the island to live is required to obtain an Isle of Man driving license within 3 months of arrival.

The Isle of Man has a Reciprocal Driving Bans Agreement with the United Kingdom. From the 23rd May 2005, if you receive a driving disqualification in the Isle of Man, this will also apply in the UK. Any ban will only be lifted once the Isle of Man disqualification has ended. If you lose your licence for a motorcycle offence, this will also apply to any other vehicle licence you hold. Licensing Authorities of other Countries outside the UK and Northern Ireland will be notified of any disqualification issued in the Isle of Man.

As in the UK learner drivers are required to display a red L plate until qualified. A newly qualified driver is required to display a red R plate for the first year, during which they are restricted to travelling at no more than 50mph.

The Isle of Man operates its own vehicle registration scheme. Registration plates follow a similar pattern to those of the UK and more recent plates also include the three legs and the letters GBM. New residents of the island are required to register their vehicle. Isle of Man registration plates are issued in a random manner and do not indicate the age of the vehicle.

A useful item to obtain upon arrival on the island is a parking disc. Many built up areas around the island have been zoned for parking and drivers are required to indicate the time of their arrival using the disc. A nearby sign will indicate whether you are in a zoned parking area, and the duration for which a visitor may remain parked (normally around 2 hours). Parking discs are available at the Sea Terminal, the airport information desk and at tourist information points.

It is important to note that driving whilst using a mobile phone is a criminal offence in the Isle of Man, and to do so can attract a fine of up to 1,000 pounds. The local papers are a testament to the fact that this law is actively enforced and people are regularly convicted.

2. from what ive heard though, the traffic is pretty bad over there so u wont be doing break neck speeds unless its when everyone has gone to sleep
  3. saw a few bikes doing over 300km/h around there recently :p
  4. Wow, 1000 pounds for driving while using a mobile....
    Now that's being serious.
    Probably what's needed here the way people chat and drive in aus.
  5. Isle of Man has no speed limits on rural roads

so what????? :roll:
  6. I believe the op is implying if they don't have it perhaps the authorities should consider it down under too
  7. Mad Sunday is when you want to go riding if you want to ring your bike out.

I wasn't going that hard (doing about 200 around a left hander) when I was rounded up around the outside by 4 bikes doing about 250... very cool :)
  8. My question was an ironic one, Netrider seems to function only these days for people to whine about how dreary it is to ride bikes while 'they' are taking away all our freedoms. Just get out and ride, and stop bitching about what might be being done elsewhere, or go and live there. I'm tired of this martyr/persecution mentality.
  9. I agree with hornet
    Just get out there and ride......
    The sadest thing is hearing netriders refusing to ride due to road blitzes, reduced limits, double demerit points, etc....
    Surley riding at 100kph is better than staying home whinging on netrider......
    This country has plenty to offer on a bike even at those speeds....
  10. Think about it Hornet, it wont hurt you I promise.
  11. A friend of mine who lived there for a few years tells of a funny story of when they attempted to install a speed camera in one of the towns.
    A local turned up with his tractor and before the concrete holding the post up had a chance to set, he put a chain around it and pulled it from the ground.
    They tried another couple of times before giving up on the idea.
  12. but the idiot with the tractor still copped a fine and a criminal conviction

there's a win :roll:

seriously, whining here about speed restrictions and the like, proves, ..... what? preaching to the converted just depresses the converted, surely? I'd just love to open up Netrider and read some stories about enjoyable rides, instead of the same tiresome whinging about things that we don't have the numbers or the political clout, or, in some cases, the desire, to change..... is that too much to ask???
  13. No actually. The powers that be came to the realisation that they were fighting a losing cause and abandoned the idea. So as far as I'm aware, to date there are still no greed cameras on the Isle of Mann. Sometimes open rebellion works a dandy.

Yes, let's be serious for a moment. Netrider is a place to talk about all kinds of topics, some relevant to riding and some not. But the beauty of the place is everybody can't talk about whatever is of particular interest to them on any given day.

I for one would like to open a thread and not have to put up with someone whining about what somebody else is whining about. It's their thread, their opinion, get over it.

There's one thing that gets my back up more than anything else. That's when one rider has the audacity to tell another rider how they should ride, because the truth is we could all do it, but some of us choose not to.

If you don't like the threads other people have started, ignore it and go and start your own. Netrider is a buffet, you don't have consume all of it, and you don't have to vomit up the bits you don't like.
  14. as the originator of more threads on more subjects than most here, I agree with what you are saying.

But go to the 'Politics' forum and browse down the first page and see how many threads are whinges about speed limits and the like, and see how many are started by the same few congenital whingers. Then go to the 'Ride Reports' thread and see how many of them have ever posted about a ride the've done, or to the 'Techncial' thread and see how many of them have offered any useful advice to someone's question, or the 'New riders' thread and see how many of same have offered any assistance to questions asked by new riders?? Get my point? Most of them don't even identify where they are from; they just sit on the side of the Netrider road and bark at the cars going past, so to speak.
  15. And on that note (hornet)

Just finished a coffee, sun is shining, 12 degrees ( but have grig warmers now ), dry roads, so I'm leaving all you netriders to sort out things and going for 2 or 3 hours of freedom around Healesville for another coffee.

Life is good.
  16. Ok that's bloody funny and I'm LMAO :LOL:

I understand and who cares? There's quite a few names here that I avoid simply because I have no interest in what they write, however if we cross paths that's a different story.

You're absolutely right Hornet, you've been here a long time and you've seen a lot of posts, and in that time nothing has changed except the names and the avatars. Dunno why you're wasting your time on trying to change it? The good riding weather is almost behind us for a couple of months, things will only go downhill from here.
  17. I agree, and the Hornet is warming up in the garage as we speak :LOL: If it's a particularly memorable ride, I might even post up a report :rofl:
  18. I'm off to do some wheelie practice :)

...no there wont be a ride report afterwards :LOL:
  19. Rode to work in the pissing rain this morning, having been unable to find my waterproof trousers. On the upside, I was, as usual, not harassed by the police, was able to slip through the usual wet morning traffic, parked for free instead of having to pay the $15-$20 thatg parking a four wheeler costs and was spared the annoyance of breakfast radio.

Sounds pretty positive and enjoyable to me. I expect the ride home to be equally good, if not better.

Now I just need to go and empty the fish out of my boots........
  20. There are positives and negatives on both sides of the argument but I will make a few observations (as a rider whose last ticket on a bike was in about 1995 and that for less than 15 over).

Firstly -: Victoria has the lowest tolerance for booking of vehicles of ANYWHERE in the world.

Secondly ': Victoria has the highest number of speed cameras per head of population of ANYWHERE in the world.

Thirdly -: Victoria has the highest percentage of government revenue earned of any government (state or federal) ANYWHERE in the world from speed camera fines.

Given those things (and several other related ones) isn't it fair to assume (without saying it's a good thing or a bad thing) that Victoria is WAY out to one side of the bell curve which represents what governments do when it comes to speed camera use?

And further that implies that either the Victorian government have got the usage of speed cameras wrong or just about every other government around the world have gotten the usage of speed cameras wrong.

Occams razor would suggest that (the simplest answer being the most likely to be correct) that it's more likely to be the victorian government that's gotten this wrong.