Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Islam In Australia

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dougz, Mar 25, 2009.

1. #1 Dougz, Mar 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2014
    Australia is just becoming a ridiculous place to live *sigh*. We now have a Muslim student teacher lodging a complaint with the Equal Opportunity Commision because a Christian School refused to place her on the grounds of her religion! What is going on?! I can guarantee you that if the roles were reversed and it was a muslim school refusing a christian teacher there would be nothing said about it.

We seem to be becoming scared of our own shadow. In this instance at least the school had the guts to defend it's decision, but surely there shouldn't be any need to? A situation like this again seems to bring up the issue of multicuturalism and trying to please everybody in our society while ignoring common sense.

What do you guys think? I should point out that I don't care if the teacher is Muslim, Hindi or Klingon for that matter, so don't make this about race.
  2. Having gone to a strict Anglican school I can honestly say that most of the teachers try to follow up most academic discussions with analogies from the bible.
    I suppose in that instance, there is an opportunity for fundamental knowledge of that nature to be missing if a teacher was not of that denomination.
    Going by that article, they probably would have knocked back an Anglo-Saxon who wasn't a Christian as well.
  3. I am more concerned as to why we need faith based schools at all.

Liz works at a RC girls school and although she is a catholic, most of the RC schools don't seem to be that strict. At her last school, it was widely known that two of the female teachers were 'friends' and that more than one of the male teachers was also living with his male 'friend'. Some were living with partners and marriage didn't seem an impediment to having kids.

Certainly as Liz's school, RE was confined to the RE lesson. I would hope that anyone could teach at a RC school, as long as they don't actively work against the teachings of that faith.
  4. The school had the right to refuse to hire the teacher. The teacher has the right to sue. The case will never get up. The system is working exactly as it should. The lawsuit might be frivolous, but at the end of the day all it will do is end up costing the teacher money - and hopefully the judge will order costs against them.

We can harrumph a lot about 'political correctness', but idiots will always be with us. It's not as though this person has been given any official recognition.

I could apply to teach at a Muslim school and not get the job and sue if I wanted to. Not interested in the hassle.

Storm in a teacup, IMO.
  5. Everyone in the article is stupid.

First: the Muslim teacher for bothering to apply to teach at a Christian school. Did she discuss it with her local Muslim religious leader to see whether that was a good idea or not?
    Bet she didn't. He'd have advised against it.

Second: the school.
    Anyone who rejects someone for a job in this litigious day and age, using some phrase other than "Was not the best applicant for the position" is a moron asking to be dragged into court or the hyper-over-reactive media muppet circus.

That said, it's probably a smart decision - just ignorant to state the true reasoning.
    I daresay I wouldn't have been very respectful towards a teacher wearing a hijab when I was at school.
  6. But that's my point - you can sue for anything now on the basis of political correctness. What are we becoming? :cry:

I for one am starting to question if I want to live in a country where this can and does happen more and more each year. We're becoming over regulated, over-litigious and the general populace is swallowing the tripe dished out by the media and our politicians to a level I've personally not seen before.

Anyway, I'm off to class - should be fun to read this thread when I get back ;)
  7. +1 it really is ridiculous
  8. wasnt it the french government that wanted to remove the hijab from schools?

i know i was never allowed to wear anything covering my head while indoors. yet if its a part of your faith....ooops egg shells time
  9. She is a student teacher, asking to attend a local Christian school so she can teach French. She will be there for short period of time.

Why is her religion a hindrance to her teaching French, as part of her progress through to qualifying.
  10. Why should a privately run mens club be forced to allow women to join?

Why should a privately run women's gym be forced to allow men to join?

Should a Catholic church be forced to allow a bunch of Islam followers to wander in and start preaching/practising during Mass?

The school is what it is. It is a denominational school with a religious foundation of a certain kind.

This is no more "discrimination" than it is me being discriminating my disallowing someone from entering my own house who I don't want there. If that person is a member of some religion that I don't support (and I don't support any religion), they'd probably try and sue me on some ridiculous basis that I rejected them on the grounds of religion, and while they may be perfectly correct in saying that, I am perfectly within my rights to bar them entry to my private property.

It's a private school. You can attend by invitation only. This women was not invited. Yes, they invited applicant, but by no means did that invitation come with a blanket permission to attend.
  11. All denominational schools receive some (if not the majority) of their funding via the tax payer.

The school is not a single sex club.

The school is not a single sex gym.

The school is not a private home owners front room.

She is not preaching or trying to convert. She is a student teacher, who wants to complete her study.

The exemption made to denominational schools to exclude applicants from other faiths is an anachronism that I can't accept.

If you take a trip out to any faith school, you might be surprised how many teachers in those schools are either not of that faith or do so in lip service only.
  12. Yes and there are some schools that are very much all about the faith. We're not talking about your average Catholic school who whilst have a Catholic basis, accept staff and students who aren't Catholic.

My sister sends her kids to a happy clapper school and not only are the teachers expected to be happy clappers but in order for the kids to even be allowed to attend, at least one parent has to be a regular attendee at a happy clapper church every week, and this has to be proved.

Whilst you'd have to be out of your mind to want to attend there, IMO, I don't see why they shouldn't have the right to pick and choose who is eligible to attend, whether as a teacher OR a student. Man...there are criteria applied for entry to any school - even public. Should I go an sue an elite private school to allow my children to attend because they are discriminating on the basis of wealth and ability? I mean - if I can't afford the fees, and my kids can't gain a scholarship, is that also discrimination?

I agree with Dougz - things are just getting ridiculous. Don't get what you want? Hey I know - lets sue!
  13. For a faith based school to receive government funding it needs to satisfy basic curriculum criteria and standards. They deliver what they are required to, and then add what they choose. I have no argument with that. They should not be required to hire anyone whose core beliefs are in conflict with theirs, or their community.

The action is entirely frivolous, especially since the Catholic church schools won the case on these grounds some years ago. As Bravus says, it's a storm in a teacup, and should never have made the headlines.

I don't see that anything has gone wrong with the system. Yet.
  14. Your point falls down at the moment we introduce state funding for the school. Want to be exclusive and divisive? Hand back the cash then. I live in a secular society, with separation of church and state. Want my secular cash? Then don't discriminate.

One thing you are correct about is the impossibility of the success of the action. Won't happen as the law specifically allows this discrimination to take place.
  15. Pauline wouldn't have had let this happen...

16. You missed the purpose of the anaolgy - it wasn't literal. The religious school is a faith-based educational institution where parents pay top-dollar to have faith-based education for their kids. They do get some tax funding, but they also recieve a sizeable chunk from parents who pay private school fees. With that in mind, the parent is the customer and the education is the product, and teachers distribute the product. Private schools are equally accountable to the govt and to the parents who pay big fat school fees.

Faith based education is not really my bag, but that is a different topic altogether (in fact, religion in general causes more problems than it solves). But the simple fact is, this chick is either a complete f-wit or a very calculating person trying to cash in on political correctness. I wonder what her opinion would be of an orthodox jewish prac-teacher teaching at the local muslim school?
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Amen to that
  18. I'd be more than happy for this to be applied to every private school in the country regardless of its denomination.

And that's coming from someone whose daugther attended a private school for several years.
  19. :roll:
    The minority groups appear to have a free run of this country.
  20. +1 there. And interestingly you don't have to be Muslim to teach at a Muslim school. I know a non-Muslim who teaches at one. I also know a Quaker who has just retired after 10 years teaching at a Catholic School (and who was teaching religious education for a couple of terms as well).

This is a student teacher placement FFS. I would have thought the loonies would have welcomed a non-Christian so they could snow her under with their propaganda. Although why anyone would want to do their placement at a loonie school I don't know.

Personally I agree with PatB and I went to a Catholic School. My daughter went to a CofE school - and she's now teaching in the state system and even though she had a couple of "interesting" schools for her placements, and has aome professional contact with a couple of private schools, she is wondering why anyone would send their kid to a private school.