Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ISA being trialled in Victoria

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by [FLUX], Jan 13, 2010.

1. Was just on Channel 10 news. Tim Pallas standing smugly in front of the camera declaring that Intelligent Speed Advice devices would be installed in the cars of "hoons" to advise them that they were exceeding the set speed limit.

As we know, they've already trialled linking these to the ignition system overseas to prevent you from speeding at all.

I have my doubt that they'll ever implement that for the wider populace, by far preferring to have the steadily increasing greed camera income, over having a fully compliant road fleet that never speeds.
  2. That's what popped to mind. It would be interesting to see how the road toll varied if that was the case. Not that it would happen in the foreseeable future for the reason you suggest, I would think.
  3. I bet if hoons with these fitted went over the limit, their fine for doing so would be a lot more just because they have the device telling them they're going over, then there will probably be seperate fines for hooning and fines for hooning with a device fitted. Or some such money-making crap.
  4. I'm saving up for some vintage roadburner with lots of heat, vibration, oil leaks and an unsupressed magneto. No electronic big-brother devices could possibly function reliably under such conditions :grin:.
  5. I have no doubt that this is simply a trial for automating the penalty regime. You'll simply be pinged and debited by satellite link. Why intervene when you can stand back and profit?

PatB's got the right idea.
  6. someone ISN'T going to hack these devices? yeah, right..... :LOL:
  7. Looking at the accuracy of the data in my Tom Tom SatNav one would hope these things take changes into account.

I've heard of a couple of people being disiplined for speeding by their employer as a result of inaccurate speed zone data on the vehicle based GPS system.
  8. Part of me wants to see it happen just to see if it makes a statistically detectable change in the road toll, vs all the fatigue accidents, the brainfarts, the alcohol, people forgetting the 'stop' part of 'stop-go-stop' traffic, people on their phones, SMIDSYs, etc.

On the other hand, they'll probably just keep turning the speed tolerance down, and down, and down, until everyone's crawling down the street at 15kph. 5kph if it's raining.

Can't wait to take an ISA vehicle up Macquarie Pass and see it detect me doing what it thinks is 360kph. (Repeatedly shown on my GPS)
  9. heh, luckily our new car is in my wife's name, not mine.

for a start, how is one of these things going to 'tell' a person on a bike anything?
  10. If that's so, you can then prove it is faulty. If they automatically link them to send out fines each time you speed, you can get out of each and every one.
  11. Funny. I could have sworn that cars had something like this already...what's it called...oh right, a speedometer! ](*,)

12. I have an over-speed warning device in my cage with a couple of presets, but they're in 5kmh increments. If I set it at 100kmh it beeps at me relentlessly if I travel at the speed limit. If I set it for 105kmh, I can get pinged for speeding.

I would be more inclined to use this inbuilt device if it could be set at single inrements. A good idea poorly implemented.
  13. I commented on this in the "hoons" thread. Might be more appropriate here.

My view is that it's fraught with problems starting with database accuracy and the inherant lag that all commercial grade GPSes have.

You can be up to 200m inside a new speed zone before the GPS will respond with the new speed limit. That gives them plenty of distance to set up a speed camera or a radar gun, if they were going to rely on motorists relying on this technology to advise them if they are speeding or not.

As for these things logging data and transmitting it back to somewhere else, how will this work? If via the phone network someone will have to pay for it. There is also the issue of coverage. RFID technology, perhaps? Again, someone will have to pay for it. And look at the issues with interference, particularly with bikes. And of course, the ability to block any outgoing signals.

I'm not sure what Pallas and his mob are getting at with this thing. Rest assured, if it is a new way to fine people you can bet your speedos that it won't be fully introduced until after Nov, 2010...
  14. is there some significance about this date?
  15. Victoria will have an election by then.