Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is this VIN legit?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Lopunet, Nov 11, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Hey netrider guys and gals. I bought this bike a few months ago. Wasn't planning on putting it on the road so I just showed up. Tested that it starts and revs and left with it in my van. It's a Kawasaki 636 from 2002 and I haven't gotten around to doing anything with it so now I'm selling. Only now have I seen that the compliance plate is missing. With a cheeky little scrap of metal sticking from one of the rivets, and the vin number looks like this.

oznn58e.

That's only a picture of the vin number, I've got the engine number and a pick of the two rivets where the compliance plate should be. Am I allowed to sell this or what should I tell buyers about? It's a fully running bike. Would pass a rwc but the fairings came all cracked so I think it was dropped and slid a little. But it's not bent from what I can tell.

Cheers, Nik :)

2. Do a REVs check. You really shoulda done one before but what's done is done. Even if it is all legit you're gonna have a tough time convincing any prospective buyer & mechanic's will always look at you funny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. I've done two checks, $15 online but I read the numbers wrong, no results. And a $25 one where the numbers were what I think are the right ones, and no results again. It doesn't start with the default Kawasaki 3 digits so it's obviously false or a grey import or something. I am now selling it as a track/stunt bike

4. What state was it registered with and did it come with any plates that you can look up?
    Vic-roads for example allow you to lookup and test Vin numbers if it was registered with them,might be worth checking that out.
    Maybe phoning up your RTA with the engine number to get them to look it up.

Missing compliance plate and super sketchy frame marking....hope you didn't overpay as that is someones attempt to restamp it or the bike was made on a Friday evening 5 minutes before knock-off.

5. Nah didn't come with any other identification except the 'vin' and engine number. I over paid as I'm trying to sell now and offers are 6-700 under what I paid. Thanks for the advice

Missing compliance plate and super sketchy frame marking....hope you didn't overpay as that is someones attempt to restamp it or the bike was made on a Friday evening 5 minutes before knock-off.

6. That's a bugger, I'd be careful when selling it or inquiring as technically it could still be considered "stolen goods" with someone still wanting it back.
    Now would be a good time to confirm you have a receipt from the buyer and details of the purchase as-well as your attempted REV's check as you get into trouble if you knowingly have in your possession or traffic stolen goods.

Without a compliance plate and verifiable VIN number it will never be registerable on the road and you may have issues at trackdays.

7. Those numbers are back to front, upside down and all sorts of wrong. Looks like Stevie Wonder got drunk one night and thought he'd have a crack at it!

Track bike only i'd say

• Like Like x 1
  8. That's easy to understand. If I was working in a factory that sold bikes to the Japanese, and I had to stamp them in Hiragana, I think I'd be flat out getting them the right way up. The extra and overstamp are a bit of a teller in the mystery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. VIN is always 17 digits. Looks like an "R" has over stamped with an "E". This would give vin as 6T9RREP00S231F001. Clue is in the WMI (first 3 digits) . 6T9 = made in Australia!!

10. That is so dodgie, will make a good track bike but I'd put $ on it being stolen

11. [QUOTE="Nicholai_Chev, post: 2918747, member: 47523

Without a compliance plate and verifiable VIN number it will never be registerable on the road and you may have issues at trackdays.[/QUOTE]

You won't ever have any issues at track days IMO

12. there7s a few threads around the net about dodgy looking 636 VIN stampings

or grey import and given new Aussie VIN?

13. That looks very dodgy to me.
    The numbers are all messy certainly hand punched one by one and not straight like you would find in a factory.

How's the engine number?

14. That's a lovely weld down the stem though

• Like Like x 1
  15. I think you've got to go to the cops on that one mate. Or at least your states registration authority. It might mean you loose the lot, or it all could be above board and the complicance plate has just been smeared off.

It's hard to imagine a 02 636 being a grey import, but it may have been some expats bike they brought back.

16. maybe the frame was stamped late on a friday arvo?