Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is this really sexual harrassement?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by ibast, Aug 2, 2010.

1. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-and-david-jones/story-e6freuy9-1225900004342

Yeah she's a pretty girl and yes he's a typical corporate big wig, but is it really sexual harassment?

Form the information listed in the article it looks more like clumsy attempts to initiate a relationship.

If that were the definition of sexual harassment there would be a lot of men out there in trouble right now.

I trust there is a lot more to this case, but from the information thus far it will be unfair if she wins IMO.

thoughts?

2. Are we reading the same article ibast?

3. sounds like sexual harassment to me! awful situation

4. She also claims he put his hand under her clothes and touched her bra strap.

Go straight to gaol, do not pass "GO", do not collect $200...

5. correct.

6. +1......

7. Sounds like a serial sleaze to me.

Dunno about $35m though, even as an ambit claim.

8. yes its sexual harassment

Any man that tries to initiate a relationship with a work colleague deserves to get arse faarked by the law and courts when it turns sour

stupid over paid execs do not even know the first rule of business - don't get laid where you get paid or maybe they do - they just think the rules don't apply to them

9. it might be sexual harrassment, but it's not $35 million, not even in litigation-happy America.

10. I would say with the information thus far, its all her way. Going under the clothes in order to start a relationship will earn most men five red finger marks on their face.

However,
    I'm sure your right, really, it would take someone who is mentally spastic to act like that. How much banter/conversation was their previously? Did she play along? If so for how long? I can't really understand a man in his position risking it all for a moments impulse and stupidity.

But then on the flip side, people are often idiots. A friend of mine had to report harassment/abuse from her manager after her second or third shift two days ago, and it turns out there are other reports against the person.

11. Agree, they normally start at a grossly inflated figure to set a benchmark. However I think there is a case for handing out fines with regard to the defendants income. Where a $5000 fine might be applied to a middle class person, it would be equivalent to several million to some fat cat.

12. matter of fact..I'm offended by his behavior..therefore I should also claim!!

13. but the claim is against the company, not against the person, as I understand it, and amounts to some significant percentage of ITS yearly profits.....

14. The claim is against the company tos likely to be because they failed to stop the harrassment. If reported a company is legally required to try to stop this type of behaviour (although I see no where in the article that she claims that it was reported and never followed up or followed up correctly).

15. Yea, it is. Simply because it was in a corporate environment. If it was at the pub, it would still be as unwelcome and invasive to the girl in question, but she would have many more options for how to avoid him getting so close as to touch her in the first place.

Any bloke who is a terrible as picking up as I knows this.

*rubs sore face*

16. *Cough*

It'd take a motorcyclist to be so impudent and ignorant. (;))

Please change the offending word :).

17. By donating the punitive damages to charity, isn't the plaintiff demonstrating a lack of requirement for compensation?

18. No. A friend of mine was arrested under similar circumstances as the article. He is diagnosed primarily with bipolar disorder among other things and when he is sick it severely handicaps him and he has little control over himself.

No offence meant to you or anyone else, but it wasn't said in ignorance.

19. Losing one's awareness of what is and isn't appropriate can definitely happen with bipolar, and is a major symptom of mania. But when you say, "it would take someone who is bipolar to act like that." -naming a single, specific disorder- it... kind of implies (deliberately or not) that people with bipolar are like that, excluding other disorders or causes which can result in the same behaviour. Also, one would have to not only have bipolar but also be manic (or hypomanic) to be affected in that way.

Sorry that I'm making such a hash of explaining this, putting ideas into words can be difficult when I'm tired. But I hope you find my (polite, I was aiming for) request reasonable, since I am someone who has bipolar disorder. All you have to do is find a more suitable alternative for that one word :).

P.S. The "It'd take a motorcyclist to..." thing was an attempt to rephrase what you said in such a way as to illustrate why it grated on me. I think I had better words for it, but forgot them and had to substitute :(. Feel free to ignore it.

20. how about "someone with poor impulse control or lack of insight into acceptable social behaviour"?