Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is this real?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Oct 12, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

I don't really have a proper reason for doubting it, something about the bolt's track is bothering me.
  2. It would be a safe assumption that the tower would have a lightning rod and this should terminate at the highest point. That would be where lightning should be striking but the pic shows the bolt grounding through the tower at the mid point.

This can't be genuine.

... I think.
  3. The photo is real (taken in 2008 by a chap named Bernard Kulik) , and if google is to be believed the bolt actually struck behind the tower.
  4. Thanks atropos
  5. Perspective, the bolt is probably kms away from the tower. Its impossible to tell. The Eiffel tower would only act as the closest route between cloud and ground for perhaps a few hundred m around the base of the tower.
  6. A lot of people don't realise that zoom reduces perspective.
  7. Looks like the bolt is behind it.
  8. Bolt is definitely behind the tower.
  9. either way it's pretty spectacular
  10. You get the most spectacular shots if you search for volcano lightning
  11. That is pretty awesome! (y)

And yes, first photo, the bolt is definately behind the tower.
  12. That was my first thought, it grounded behind the tower.
  13. What lightning actually striking the Eiffel Tower looks like
  14. wow triple spark someone should incorporate that into a sparkplug desgin
  15. It's referred to as Dirty Lightning (y) fitting name for something so awesome!
  16. From here (clicky)
  17. I think "Oh f**k run!" lightning is also a suitable name. That is indeed awesome though.
  18. Especially for this

And one more photo, just because I like it