Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is this Dangerous Cornering Q!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by newbreed, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Quick noob question...

Was riding the Old Pacific Hwy between Cowan and Mt White today, and noticed a few things about riders approaching from the opposite direction. From what I have learned at HART, and reading the excellent cornering threads, the aim is to stay wide, look for the VP/apex/exit, then come in late. However what I noticed a couple of times on my left hand (their right) was that they were hugging the double unbroken lines. Apart from scaring the crap out of me, I wondered why they would be riding that close to the centre line.

For what it's worth, on my way back I checked and there was no way they would have been able to see the exit of the corner, let alone exiting the corner. Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated.
  2. You are not missing something. They shouldn't have been there and is why I always ensure I have enough buffer to the centre line to account for people who can't ride safely.

If you ride properly, remember that the centre line is sacred and buffer accordingly you shouldn't have any issues. Rider head ons are not that uncommon unfortunately...
  3. newbreed say hello to the infamous hero riders of Old Pac........these guys normally come out to play on dry sunny weekends. These guys are allergic to wet cold days.
  4. Um...having trouble picturing this, by your description.
    If you are apexing appropriately, then you would be nowhere near them. The fact that they are rounding their rh corner, by just following close to the double lines isn't wrong. They maybe just cruising and maintaining distance fom their left side.
    The technique that you describe for cornering, isn't the last word. It IS usually considered as the best way to handle a corner, I agree...but it's not the only way to go through a corner. Although, following too closely to the centerline is taking a punt that cars won't drift over the line and collect them.

There are times where I will track the centerline...usually where I have apexed poorly and have to maintain a tight position.
    And it's too late to want to transition back to the outside again, so you have to stay there, and put up with it :)
  5. The other thing about hugging the centre line (especially north of Road Warriors leading up to "Slab")... there has been a shïtload of leaf/bark litter being swept towards the centre line in recent weeks. Quite frankly, I don't want to be left wanting for grip in a 45kph corner when doing small change out of a dollar!

Like others, I buffer the centre line "just in case"... in case I meet one of these weekend warriors and in case I bugger the corner and run wide myself. There's been a few head-ons between 2 bikes on that road (one less than a month ago) so be careful.
  6. Many riders turn in early on right handers - staying wide gives them the willies - the left edge of the road is concerning. I worked long and hard on beating the SR's stopping me from staying wide and late on right handers.

After my recent time off bike and lack riding opportunities in the last year or two, the willies are back. :(

...so it's either typical SR's, or riders going for a cruise like Raven said... problem with the cruise mode, hugging the line can open you up to a world of hurt... so much better to hug the middle of the lane in cruise mode.
  7. Good point re the crap on the road,the right lane going up to The Pie in the Sky from the water was almost completely covered in leaves and sticks yesterday,the left was completely clear.Reminded me of the time I passed the road closed sign heading to Gosford when the bridge was out.You don't realise what happens when the road maintenance sweepers don't do it for a while.Talk about returning back to nature,you could hardly see where the bitumen was.
  8. Always ride so that you have an out, safely, to get you out of trouble,

That means changing your line even in tite corners.
  9. Welcome to the Old Pacific highway... It happens but try to train yourself not to panic.. Chopping the throttle or target fixating on them is the worst thing you can do in those situations. I did a run today and had a similar experience with a Red VTR thou I think it was. Not a close call by any stretch but still a bit unnerving and closer than I'd like...

I think the problem is they have their wheels in their lane but don't realise where the rest of the bike/their body is.

This too! There are LOTS of dry leaves on the road at the moment from the heavy winds. There are also parts where it's still very damp from the rain. Wet leaves are VERY slippery

BTW OP, give me a PM if you want to go for an Old Rd run.. Hopefully I can teach you some nicer lines or just have an excuse for a ride haha
  10. Leaves at the centre and the outside, and moss on the outside.................its better to save plenty of space not just for yourself but for other's mistakes.
  11. Ah so I am not the only one. I feel better now!
  12. Just sitting here thinking to myself."self what do you think when your running through some corners". Self said "nothin"
    Then I tried to break it down and did my head in. :( Sorry bad day with lawyers and doctors.
    If I were a noob going out for a ride.
    First the transport section through the traffic.
    I would be working my brain and eyes. Finding the idiot. Reading the road and traffic 100m+ up the road so I am always in the most visual and safest spot to be.
    Getting to the playground without one heart racing moment.
    Riding is much more of a mental game than a physical one. And just because you are going slow does not mean you cant get your brain working.
    So by the time I get to my favorite bit of licorice I have my head tuned in.
    Then I will do a recky. A run through to see what the conditions are like. Traffic, crap on the road, new road works. Not a bad idea for keeping your license.
    On the recky I will try and be as smooth as I can be. Be where I want to be. Just really flow.
    Anywho just my two bits worth
  13. The recy bit is probably smart but for some reason I just cannot do it.Well not quite true.
    I have been known to ride up to The Slab on the Old Rd and then come back but usually its just passing through ON THE RIDE.We did the Putty on Sunday and we just passed through The 10 Mile on our way.I don't know why but I for some reason don't want to turn around and do it again.
  14. Guys, thanks a million for your pointers and offers. In particular I'll have to train myself not to startle on these occasions. I'm usually concentrating on rob's corners tips that when something comes the other way, especially hugging the centre line, I near crap myself. But I swear I could have given one bloke a kiss if I had moved over to the centre a bit;)
  15. Newbreed, get those tips consolidated ASAP! No kisses mid ride!

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
  16. You'll come to notice a lot of bikes ride close to the line through rh corners. They have to, if they are apexing properly.

If it's a long rh corner, as Rob said, in many cases they have apexed too early.
    Or they are instinctively staying clear of the danger lurking on the outside of their lane.

A few weekends ago I got caught out and to close to the centreline hanging off through a long rh corner, when a car came through right against the line.
    He's not at fault...neither am I, except that my upper body was hanging over the line.
    As is normal in such situations, and not intending AT ALL, on changing road position, I simply pulled my body in and tucked my head down to avoid his mirror, then resumed my required body position again.

It happens. Keep it in mind, but if you are apexing, through a lh corner you are away from them and they are of little concern. If they are there at your exit point, then just stay a little tighter. If they are at your tip in point, then you will have to give a little ground and adjust.
    There is usually no malice intended, so be cautious not to read to much into it.

Later in life on your thou with heaps of experience, if you think they were just being DiCks, then drop a uey, and chase them down for a quiet word if you can be bothered. :))

Waist of time usually - just get on with your own things.
  17. Cheers Raven.