Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is this an example of "Hoon Law" application creep?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by robsalvv, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Just saw this media release from the Police - a P plate driver had his car impounded for "over loading". The guy had two passengers in the tray of the ute.

When did overloading become a "Hoon" offence?

If this is not a clear example of how laws can creep in their application, then OPEN YOUR EYES. Given the so called anti bikie laws discussion, we should all be concerned.

= = = = =

Overloaded ute impounded in Melbourne

Friday, 29 March 2013 19:29

A 19-year-old man had his ute impounded in Melbourne this morning after being caught with an overloaded vehicle.

Police patrolling in the CBD observed an occupant hop into the rear tray of the 2002 Holden ute before the P plate driver set off along King Street towards Kings Way about 9am.

Members from Melbourne Highway Patrol intercepted the vehicle on the Monash Freeway shortly after and discovered the third passenger, aged 17, was lying in the locked tray.

The vehicle was immediately impounded for 30 days under the hoon legislation.

The driver is expected to be charged on summons with various traffic related offences including driving with an overloaded vehicle.

The driver and his two occupants left on foot and headed to the nearest train station.

Police across the state are conducting Operation Crossroads over the Easter period.

Operation Crossroads aims to increase driver awareness and journey planning to reduce road crashes and associated trauma across the long weekend.

Common factors including excessive speed, driver distraction, restraint non-compliance, fatigue and alcohol and drug driving will also be a strong focus for police during the five day operation.

Police will maintain a highly visible presence on major highways and arterial roads.

Kelly Yates
    Media Officer

= = =
    • BS BS x 1
  2. The driver is expected to be charged on summons with various traffic related offences including driving with an overloaded vehicle.
  3. Technically correct I guess, he was carrying more passengers than there were seat belts, and committing a "high risk" offence.
    Law creep, maybe, but some would argue that maybe the cop saved those kids from themselves, just a thought.
  4. it'll do far more for the driver than a simple fine will - he'll surely think twice before doing it again....much like we'd all have a hissy fit if we read about a rider with a pillion and someone sitting on the handlebars...shit like that don't fly in this country ....maybe in the old days a decade or two back - the world is a changing place and governments have total power - sit back and enjoy the reaming while you live your life only having to worry about other road users killing you or being busted hooning....meanwhile life is such that we are more inclined to worry about how we're going to pay that massive electricity bill than worry about going 10km over the speed limit or not headcheck when changing lanes (both cagers and riders I've seen fail to headcheck time and time again) ...buy an apple product and watch today tonight and a current affair and just enjoy the ride kiddies whilst you pay taxes willingly to fund this government that imposes the laws & installs speed cameras and cheese cutter fencing and employs police that trick road users into breaking the law

but just remember....other countries aren't as lucky as us...for all the "we are powerless government is the ruler" shit that can be preached - we have a reasonable existence and live far better than countries where murder assault **** and so forth aren't even really investigated and where the medical treatment we take as a given is out of reach to countless amounts of people.
  5. I'm pretty certain that the existing laws would have had ample fines and infringements to bring the lesson home Crisis.

The stigma that comes with a hoon law offence is pretty significant, on top of the criminal record, court costs, car impound costs, demerit points and fines. Is the punishment in keeping with the "gravity" of the offence?
  6. Yes. He won't do it again and it will serve to deter other people doing the same thing - realistically people doing such thing's only serve to give the government more power to make more drastic laws like a vehicle being immediately crushed after a single offense - where as such a punishment will surely stop said user from doing such a pointlessly stupid thing in the future ....the less incidents - the better the chance we have to fight/protest upcoming laws that the government are trying to implement.

if it was a L plater in a high performance vehicle whom accidently put his foot down a smidge too far at a set of lights and did a lil 2 second burnout and got busted under the hoon laws - sure my views would change and id feel bad for the kid - but we cannot have one set of rules for some and another set for the rest....trying to abolish the hoon laws will more than likely never happen so our best hope is to work around them and use what knowledge we have to defeat upcoming laws and use the basis that such extreme laws are not needed when the hoon laws are already in place.
  7. Not a fan of hoon laws but I don't think this is new. Overloading was flagged at least a year or two ago after a couple of high profile multiple fatalities
  8. The hoon laws were extended in a knee jerk fashion after the high profile deaths... the anti bikie laws were pushed knee jerk style after the bikie shootings... anyone seeing a pattern?
  9. yeah....violence and stupity is escalating at an alarming rate.
  10. I find the police interpretation is that if it's something silly that young men do, it's probably a hoon offence
  11. Better make more draconian laws then. That'll stop it.
  12. That's the freedom given when you don't apply a definition to a word.
  13. Is it? Have you got any data on this fact?

I'm sick to death of being told what's good for us. Most of it is pure bullshit, the longer us, the public and voters sit back and do nothing, the worse it's going to get.
    Just like political correctness, it's gone beyond being reasonable.
  14. I think the cops still have to prove that the young men ENJOYED doing it, too. :)
  15. I don't wanna tell you what's good for you mate, data? statistics? sorry i'm not the government....if you want to be lied to in graph form please contact them.

the world is fcuked - everyone's going out, act accordingly.
  16. So you just go around promoting bullshit then? Remindm how you're different?
  17. I don't wear a suit I wear flanno's (y)
  18. When I was a kid, I used to ride in the back of utes all the time. Not at highway speeds, obviously, but around the suburbs. I was a boy scout and we did bottle drives to raise money for the scout hall.

If the driver was 'hooning' with passengers in the back, then throw the book at him. But there is nothing to suggest that was the case. It sounds to me that 'normal' traffic regulations should have covered this - points and a fine.
  19. Murder rates and most other violent crimes have been falling in Australia (as a percentage of population) ever since records have been kept. There is strong evidence that violence is at an all time low in society and the numbers dying a violent death have been falling at least since the last ice age if to longer.
  20. Last year a car towing a boat containing 2 people broke off near Cowan on the Ol' Pac. The driver of the vehicle was found to have exceeded the legal BAC and unfortunately, one of his passengers travelling in the boat was killed. Would that scenario fall under the guise of "hooning"?