Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is this a problem? (photo)

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' at netrider.net.au started by Popollo, Sep 29, 2012.

1. I'm new to motorbike maintenance. I was going over my bike today and ran across quite a lot of grease in a certain area around where my shift pedal attaches. Anyone know if this is something to worry about? It is a 2007 Kawasaki GPX 250...only 17,000 km's...

Attached Files:

2. chain fling?

3. Well my VTR250 always has a bit of grease there.

I asked my father-in-law if he thought it was a problem, and he said it wasn't. The mechanics didn't mention it last time I took my bike in for a service either...

I check my oil level frequently, because I thought that this might be an engine oil leak. I haven't noticed the oil level dropping on my bike at all though. I suspect a large amount of the grease I have there might be lube flinging off the front sprocket and then leaking through the sprocket cover to this point.

I'm pretty sure the gasket for that shift pedal can leak though. If it isn't too bad, I'd suspect you could just wait until the next time you take it in for a service it to fix it.

4. Looks like chain fling. Clean it off. Don't worry too much about it. Don't stop oiling the chain. It's normal. The sharpest 'bend' in the chain is at the countershaft sprocket, so most of what will fling off, does so there. Most countershaft sprocket covers are pretty simple and easy to take off - (some less so, the ZX14 being one example) - so you can usually remove the cover and clean it and what's underneath it. How badly you need to do that and how often is debatable. Some people do it about once a week, many never do it.

5. You should see the chain fling on my bike, its like a solid lump welded onto the bike.

6. Makes sense, probably is chain fling. I cleaned the chain today.