Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Drenelin, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Hi all.

After what seems like an eternity I am in a position to buy what seems to be a pretty mint, reasonably priced bike. The bike is a 2006 GPX-250 with about 16,000 km on the clock, new dunlop tyres (good enough?) and a full service history (last one at 12,000k). The bike has clearly been looked after and garaged and only has some slight scraping on the bar end and mirror where it looks like it has been pushed past a brick wall from the previous owner.

The chain is the original one (probably needs replacing soonish) but the rear sprocket looks like it is in good condition. Going to sort out a VIN check and hopefully track down a mechanic (or RAC if they do it) to have a look at the bike before I buy. Bloke selling it seems genuine and trustworthy, but want to be sure. Oil last changed at 12k and chain lubed regularly.

He has indicated that he would accept 4k for the bike (4.2 o.n.o. in the ad) and that a dealer had offered him 3.8k as part of a trade-in. Given that I live in WA, is this a reasonable price or should I push for lower?

Thanks for any input (and the patience for reading through this)!

(was hoping to have some pics up, but camera is playing up. Bike really does look excellent, almost brand new)
  2. 16k is a pretty good run for a chain - definitely budget in for a new one very soon. You may as well do the sprockets at the same time, it'll ensure the new chain lasts just as long.
    It might be possible to use this as a bargaining chip to knock the price down a little but really, if you can afford 4k I reckon buy it before someone else does. It does seem a fairly reasonable price (for WA).
  3. Whoa, that was fast!

Thanks, I think I'll be buying this one :).