Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is this a flat battery?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by mewnz, May 24, 2008.

1. Sorry for not putting this in technical, if I try and go into that subforum it says I'm not allowed access.

Got my L's yesterday, pumped to ride today cos work didn't call me in, mum brings the petrol back after shopping, go to start up and... nothing.

05 vtr250, has been sitting for 2-3 weeks without a start.

The indicators worked at first, no longer do. If I leave it to sit a bit, indicators will work for a little while, then stop working. When I push the starter I don't hear anything... no clicking, nothing.

Is this a flat battery? If it is do I have to buy another? I've read other vtr topics that mention a charger?

Appreciate any help

Edit: Now I can view the technical forum... sorry guys. Could a mod please move this?
  2. your battery is flat.
  3. Sounds flat. https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=46017 is where I described how to push start a bike.

Also note the comment about getting the battery recharged, being flat for that long would require a proper charge I think. (mine was OK without one but the bike was basically brand new).
  4. Get the battery charged, (preferably overnight or longer) and then go for a nice long ride, spending as much time as possible with the revs up so the regulator pumps lots of lovely volts into it. See, it gets better all the time :LOL:!
  5. Will a charge do the trick? Checking the receipts etc there is no mention of putting a new battery in so I'm assuming this one is pushing 2 years at least.

Not even 25,000km on the clock, if that matters?

Thanks for the replies :)
  6. Battery life is not related to mileage, just useage.

If the bike has not been ridden much, or sporadically, the battery is very likely to have lost the ability to hold a charge. Get it checked (take it out and take it to a garage, for example), and get it on a charger. If, as I suspect, it won't hold a charge, then you are up for a new one.

Resist the temptation to buy the cheapest one, though. Spend a few dollars more and get a quality battery; you won't be disappointed.
  7. And.... any bike owner that doesn't own a battery charger needs to get out and buy one :roll: ,they are cheap enough.
  8. Tried push starting, don't know if I was doing everything right but it didn't start regardless. Looks like I'll be walking a little longer until I can afford a battery :)

Thanks for the help everyone.
  9. Check kill switch as well then :p