Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is there really that much difference in the makes of helmets

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Shachar1971, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Hi All

I am new to bikes (have a dirt bike and getting a road bike). Was looking at various helmets, and the guys at the shops are saying "go for the Shoei - unless you think your head is only worth $300"... even though they all meet aussie standards???

One of them told me that although they all meet Aussie standards, the Shoei FAR surpases that - does anyone know if this is true???

Can anyone give some advice to a total novice on the subject?

2. australian standards are min requiremet .. shoei passes australian standards by alot and as you go cheaper the closer the helment is to the min australian standard
  3. i'd say go with the one that fits your head! the salesperson will always try to sell you on the more expensive one.

when i first bought my helmet i tried quite a few. 'shoei', didn't fit my head as well as the cheaper 'hjc' i eventually did buy.

do a search here and you'll find a number of threads on this subject which will help you with your decision.
  4. I suspect you should try another shop. The NRMA web site says
    Many years ago, the helmet manufacturer Bell had an advertisement that said, 'If you've got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet'. The point is less relevant today because all motorcycle helmets sold in Australia must meet stringent tests
    Good fit and comfort is probably more important.

5. Crap....Shoei helmets meet the same US DOT standards as a $300 helmet. You may get a lighter, quieter, more comfortable helmet by spending more money, but you won't get a safer one. In fact the rigidity of the shells used in more expensive helmets has come in for a lot of criticism recently from some medical quarters who say that more shock is transferred to the brain by a rigid shell, than by a shell that deforms and absorbs that shock. There is a vast amout of information on the web about this, and pretty much all of it says that with helmets, more money does not equal more safety.
  6. I have a big f'n head (XXL), and the HJC fit best and was a third the price of the Shoei. Having said that, some of the $100 or so helmets are solid enough and pass the testing but may not fit so well (depending on head size/shape etc), and therefore not provide as much protection.
  7. WOW... that was quick!!!

Thanks all for your replies - i will find more sources to read.

I did an advanced drivers/track course on my instructors bike a couple of weeks ago (and came off - it was pouring with rain...) and i was wearing my HJC helmet (offroad). The course was awesome and i am now getting myself a roadbike too.

Thanks again for your replies.
  8. Anything over $300 is going to be good safety and decent quality.

Best fit to your head is first priority.
  9. Different makes for different headshapes.
    It's all in the phrenology.
  10. Fit is far more important. Testing has suggested some of the $150 helmets are far safer than the $600+ ones, in that they can absorb far greater impacts. More money buys prettier, quieter and lighter helmets, but not much more.
  11. I fail to see how a $150 helmet can be better than a $600 helmet, if, as others say, they all pass the same AS standard. You can't have it both ways.

BTW, a quieter and lighter helmet might save your life. OK, stretching a long bow on the quieter point, but one of the arguments for open face helmets is their reduced weight. I believe (from what I've read) that the combination of full face helmet and head can be too much for the next to withstand in an accident, leading to neck injuries.

Having a lighter helment can reduce fatigue and being quieter can do the same. But at the end of the day, the $1150 Arai must stil fit you to do the job. And some brands just don't fit all people. Go with what feels comfortable and pay whatever you feel able to.

I had a Shark helmet that was great. Unfortunately it had a really bad pressure point on my forehead that created so much pain I couldn't even think to ride. It was that intense.
  12. Some people have an AGV head, some people have a Shoei head, like cejay, if I wear a Shark helmet, I get a pain in the brain, accept in the back of the head. As for a cheaper helmet and the ability to protect, yes they all have to be to A.S.but I personally prefer a carbon-kevlar-fibreglass,cross pattern weave. Maybe it psychological and call me vain, but I would rather have my 600 buck helmet on my noggin than a one fiddy dollar ice cream bucket,graphics or not.
  13. Expensive helmets are usually designed to meet or surpass Snell M2000 or M2005 standards because those Snell stickers justify greater profit margins and help with sales. Those that pass Snell tests generally allow their wearers to experience more G.

Anyway, extra money you pay doesn't necessarily translate into things/qualities you desire...they usually translate into bigger margins for folks who sell them. I know that can be perturbing.

Have a look at the following URL:

It's interesting.
  14. I'd agree with many of the others here - fit is the most important... no point having a nice looking shoei that u cant wear for more than 10 mins riding cos it doesnt fit your head.

Purely from a personal view point, having owned a fair few different makes of helmet, my current KBC is the favourite for fit and price... a tri-composite for about half the price of shoei/arai/suomy - not sure if it was a fact or not but from what I heard about KBC they were the ones that made a lot of the shells for the other manufacturers before they started making their own.
  15. My Nolan N61 was under $300, i was prepared to pay up to about $1000 for a lid but after i tried on heaps of helmets i put the nolan on my bonce and it just felt good.

Go with what feels good.
  16. :LOL:

<====$2 head

17. They are all ok as long as they meet the Australian standards.
    Then you pay extra of the looks.
    Then extra more for the brand/name.
  18. I bet all the GP team riders wear $150 helmets because they're just as safe as more expensive ones and they can save a few bucks in that department. :---)
  19. I spent a lot of time earlier this year gathering info on helmets. finally found a massive 25 helmet test in my friends magazine. i think it was a U.S mag.

each helmet was crashed in 3 different ways (3 helmets for every model) and results measured including a chin strap test. surprise surprise Shoei and HJC were joint winners although the HJC lost out on comfort and wind noise. couple of more expensive helmets performed poorly.

I was lucky the HJC fitted my head so much better than the Shoei and almost 250$ cheaper.

I remember tryin on a AGV helemt and taking it off within 10 secs.... squashed the sh** out of my ears. just didnt suit my head.

go for comfort first and then safety ( dont mean totally disregard safety) because if you goin to be riding for hours, you need something that does its work without bothering you.

expensive doesn't equal best. although it could equal best paintjob :wink:

i must add the test was conducted last year and the models that were tested would have been superseeded. could be a totally different story with the new models.