Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is there anyone in East Gippsland who can help mentor?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by 2wheelsagain, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Hi - Mrs 2wheels here. I got my first bike yesterday and had my first lay down today. What little confidence I had has almost gone. I am upset at myself and more so upset at the system that allows me to have 2 lessons (I've never been on a bike before in my life) and then get out on the road.
    My dear hubby has had his license for a couple of years, but only been riding a few months so is not a real expert.
    I would really appreciate someone's help!! We live in Sale, so is there anyone nearby who would consider mentoring a newbie?
    Just because I know how to start a bike and change gears, does NOT mean that I have the necessary skills to face traffic!
    Even though I am 40 and have driven a car all my adult life, it's been quite a suprise to me just how different it is when riding a bike.
    And I am determined not to be a sissy and give up. The thing is I need more help and coaching.
    Please - is there someone who would be willing even to give me a few hours help?

2. Sorry to hear about your bad day.

The training facilities, such as Hart and ridetek offer schools.

I do agree with what you are saying about doing a couple of rides around a range then away you go. I have been riding 4 years and still am not super confident, and also against me would be the lack of riding i do.

I hope someone can assist you.. :grin:
  3. Sorry to hear about your drop. I totally recommend you head off and do a Hart course but I also believe that in conjunction with that, the best thing to do is to ride. So ride! As often as possible. No putting it off. No chickening out. Start with somewhere 'safer' such as some quiet roads nearby. Go at a pace you're comfortable with. Get the feel of things - gear changes, braking, cornering etc etc. Repitition is a wonderful thing. The more frequently you do it, the better you become. When I first started out I had a fear of roundabouts. To overcome this fear I decided to face it by going through as many roundabouts as possible. I know the roundabout next to the service station at Inverloch like the back of my hand...lol. You don't necessarily need anyone there with you. I spent many km's when I started out, riding on my own. By all means, get someone to go with you as it's great for pointers etc, but don't be afraid to head out on your own..as long as you're going at a nice easy pace you should be right. :)

Get onto Hart. :)

4. :WStupid: ride as much as you can and don't forget the car park practice.
    I'm an early riser and often ride early in the morning when no one is about.
    makes a difference if you can just ride. HART is great. did a practice session with them yesterday and did my first (and second) stoppie in the emergency braking practice.
  5. You'll be rite, droping the bike is not desirable but not the end of the world. I can see me being able to get to sale in the near future but if you can get Morwell i'd be happy to spend a few hours with you.

even during the week would be fine if you can give me a bit of notice.
  6. I live in Churchill and would be happy to help if I can but giving instruction for you to try and follow just gives you more think about as you ride. If your hubby has some experience just following him around a bit at your own pace would help a lot, pick out a set circuit to ride so you know just whats coming up as far as corners, intersections etc go and just keep going around and around, dont worry about how fast or slow you may be just work on getting a nice smooth ride.... nice day and the back road to Maffra (reward yourself with a pie) then through to Tinamba turn right towards Glenmaggie weir (lovely ride along the waters edge) back through Heyfield (coffee shop reward time) then home... a longer run like that is easier as you start to relax more and enjoy the ride...

I have to agree the two lessons then out on your own is not a good system but when I got my learners it was just a case of filling out some paper work bolting an "L" plate to a friends old poorly maintained Kawasaki 900 and I was off on my own.... getting the licence was just a case of rideing around the block, no one watching or following.... if you got back to the police station in one piece you had your licence.
  7. haha my old man is a bit older than you and he did the same thing.

when he was sixteen odd, my grand dad dropped him off to the police station with his bike, he did the ride around the block got his bike licence, then went and got his car licence and then rode the bike home lol.
  8. Thanks a lot guys for the support and suggestions. To be honest, it never occurred to me to go out on my own!! :facepalm:
    Every time I've been on a bike its been under close supervision.
    I checked out Hart's website and their courses look fantastic. Its a shame I live 3 hours out of Melbourne, but I guess it's certainly 'do-able'
    Hubby is hanging out until his new bike arrives (hopefully in a couple of weeks) then we'll certainly putter around together. I'm lucky to live in a fairly quiet country town, where I shouldn't get the total heebies put up me by idiot drivers! :LOL:

Hey just a thought - anyone else out there waiting for the 2008 Suzuki Bandit to arrive in the country?! :biker: