Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is there a trick to riding in slow traffic?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Chucks, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Hi All,

Been a while since i made a post, but have been riding everyday for the last few months and wouldn't have it any other way =D

I'm in Canberra so we really don't have a "peak hour" as such, but where I work near the airport it can get a bit banked up around home time.

Anyway point is that I'm just going slow in 1st, riding the clutch and dragging the back brake maintain stability. Judging the traffic as best I can to avoid stopping and putting the foot down only to have to start again 2.5 seconds later.

I don't don't split yet, but figure that will come with more experience, but is there a better technique to what I'm doing or is a sore left hand just the price we have to pay on a busy afternoon? Also is there any chance my clutch will die doing this and how do you avoid it?

Cheers

Chucks

2. You could always go and buy a twist'n'go scooter, then you don't have to worry about the clutch. For that matter, you could also try the new FJR1300, they're clutchless as well...

Otherwise, yeah you'll just have to excercise your wrist muscles a bit more :wink:

3. That's pretty much what you would do for slow riding. Just comes down to practice. If you rode dirtbikes it would be second nature as that's what you do half the time weaving in and out of trees!
    Once you feel confident enough, start to experiment with lane splitting because currently you're just burning fuel unnecessarily and adding to the congestion.

4. Sounds good dude! Just keep looking foward, becasue if you look down you'll stuff your balance.

5. Don't forget to put your feet down if you come to a stop... :grin:

No joke!, had a friend do it.... :shock:

6. I know those roundabouts by the airport, they are a real pain. I nearly got cleaned up by a truck there the other day, so ride safe.

On heavy traffic riding, I find if you leave a slightly larger gap than usual you can keep up a steadier pace with less starting/stopping.

7. Yeah you haveit about right, the big point, as you are already doing, is dragging the back brake.

8. All I could add is to squeeze the tank a little more to reduce the pressure on your hands and gentle slight inputs left then right to maintain slow speed balance. These are techniques that I picked up at HART on there slow speed exercises. :)

9. Maintaining a constant slow speed is the right thing to do.
    If you start/stop your at risk every time of the drongo behind rear ending you eventually when they have a lapse of atention..

I keep clutch in then give it a quick squirt to boost speed and roll. Avoid dragging the clutch for long periods.

I would split if possible though :wink:
    Sitting in stop/start traffic is dangerous, far outweighs the dangers of carefully going down the side if you can.

10. I guess after a long apprenticeship with more experienced , I'd filter when safe...

11. I've never heard of people in cars complaining that it's not comfortable to sit stationary in traffic, or sore wrists, so of course many don't understand why we split congestion... :)

12. Thanks all for the feedback.

Good to know I'm on the right track.

Have to say though that filtering is looking better and better every day.

Cheers

Chucks

13. Don't rush into filtering though... much better to wait until your totally comfortable riding your bike at slow speed, with clutch control.

When I was learning, I avoided splitting until I knew exactly how to handle the bike, at low speed, balance, width etc. Ditto when I got a new bike, was frustrating, but took a week or so of riding the way you mention, slow and with traffic, to develop the skills to ride slowly. (Perhaps added complication for me, went from clutchless bike, postie, to clutch bike, so also had to get used to that.)

14. i used to commute from holt to hume down park ave on my gpz250. i feel your pain well and truly.
    plenty of room to filter, though the damn roundabouts seem to bing out the worst in drivers (unpredictability).

one thing, your clutch muscles will become stronger :LOL:

nah seriously you will get used to it!

other option is a seachange, no worries about that down here....;)

15. have the clutch out, front brake on back wheel spinning and slowly let off the front brake just so your moving. youll save your clutch but god knows what it will cost in tyres ;P

i just generally clutch and brake in 1st, its a hassle but its just how its got to be done i think. i try and avoid traffic congestion as the '6 dont like idling.

16. just remember to keep those eyes up, when riding slow keeping your eyes up and focused well ahead of you will help your balance to no end.

17. loosey goosey, eyes ahead, and everyone else you're doing is spot on. :)

your clutch will let you know if it doesn't like it, it'll start to stink. but bike clutches aren't the same as cars, they have f-all load on them unlike riding the clutch in cars.

I started splitting pretty much the first time i was in peak hour traffic, I don't know if i'm abnormal, but i don't feel inexperienced in it, and i've never once came close to hitting a mirror or anything else.

18. :rofl: