Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is there a name for the paper-mache style ceilings?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Toefa, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hi Guys,

I'd like to clean our ceiling - it's very dusty and cobwebby, but it's that textured ceiling stuff and i think i'll make more mess cleaning, than if i just leave it... Does anyone know the name or tips to clean them?

2. Water, sugar soap, sponge
  3. Sounds like Artex.

My sympathies.
  4. Could be a vermiculite ceiling. Ugly.
  5. Yeah would be vermiculite.

Here's how to clean it:

Step one: go to Bunnings, purchase timber, plasterboard and ceiling paint
    Step two: affix framing to ugly and filthy 1960's vermiculite ceiling, affix plasterboard to new framing.
    Step three: Paint new ceiling

Voila - a nice clean and most importantly non ugly ceiling.
  6. Seriously, if it is Artex, it's easier to paint it than clean it. Still not easy (it eats brushes and a roller is next to useless), just easier :( .
  7. Spot the person from the UK :grin:
  8. Its vermiculite.

I would avoid doing too much with it. (PM me and I'll tell you why) best suggestion is to cover it and leave it alone.
  9. Does it look like sprayed on concrete?
    If you touch it do little pieces, slightly larger than grains of sand, come off?

If so its likely its vermiculite.

If it is, as Stubby_Holder says, don't play with it. Some, not all, versions had asbestos in it. Can you find out which product and when it was installed?

If its your domus, plaster sheet is a good method of cleaning.

I am currently dealing with a residential apartment building with this stuff on every ceiling. Fortunately it is not the asbestos type (the owners still have the original order and receipt from 40 years ago!). Impossible to clean in any manner, and when I jack-hammer on the floor above it rains grains of vermiculite below. Not good for the carpets!

I am looking into the possibility of spay painting them with a permeating sealant, and then an oil-based paint, to fix it in place and make the texture brushable with a broom.

Anybody done/heard anything like that?
  10. We looked at sealing some of this in a holiday house we had, it was cheaper in the long run to get it removed by professionals. They did suggest that we apply a new ceiling under it with a plastic liner, but it still would have meant disturbing the asbestos. I don't like asbestos :shock:

Your idea of ceiling it [non asbestos] sounds feasible, but have never seen it done.
  11. The amount of asbestos in vermiculite is minimal but I wouldn't recommend playing with it.

The problem with asbestos is that there is a large amount of propaganda out there claiming that you need to get rid of it ASAP. I am a hazardous materials building surveyor and while its worth my while to drum up business most times its better off with a coat of paint and left alone. That said every case has to be looked at and assessed before making a decision on what to do with it.
    I work with it regulary (and with other nasty stuff). Sadly there is nothing like it as far as building materials go.

dgat- I have seen vermiculite spray sealed so it can be painted over. I recommend a roller rather than a brush though.
  12. It is vermiculite :mad:

Were there any benefits back then to make ceilings like this crap?

I doubt that would do anything other than create a mess.
  13. Sound proofing, fire retardant and it was an easy finish to spray onto concrete ceilings in blocks of flats. That it was as ugly as sin never seemed to occur to many people :roll:
  14. What's ugly now was often pretty hot back in its day.

Just look at Britney Spears.
  15. I doubt Britney was very functional though :?
  16. She had boobs... ergo functional ;)