Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

IS the law an ass??

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by hornet, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Is it any wonder people are losing respect for the legal system? This just up on news.com.au

A teenager was slashed with a knife and hit with a piece of wood after harming the wife of his assailant, in Busby, in Sydney's southwest.

The 17-year-old male went to a home on Orchard Road yesterday about 1.30am (AEDT) with a friend and allegedly assaulted the woman inside, police say.

The woman's husband awoke from the noise and chased the teen, assaulting him with a piece of wood and slashing him with a knife, police say.

The teen was taken to Liverpool Hospital for treatment and the man was charged with maliciously inflicting grievous bodily harm.

The man was granted conditional bail and will appear in Liverpool local court on January 24.

Now there's undoubtedly more to this story than meets the eye, but the first and obvious question is; 'Why was the youth not charged for unlawful entry to the house and assault of the woman?'

2. Paul, The story in the form it has presented is more provacative and sells more. We continually make moral judgements and pass comment based on what is presented in the media, rather than on the facts. I am in no way having a shot at your good self just the presentation of the story :grin: .

3. I doubt police have the discretion to NOT charge this guy with assault. The judge however does have discretion on whether he will be found guilty and how leanient the sentence will be.

Go and hire the movie 'a time to kill' to see how the rest of this story will likely play out.

4. My question is why hasn't the teenager been charged as well?

5. There definitely has to be more to this story than has been reported.

As to:

How do you know he entered the house unlawfully? The woman may have answered the door, let him in and then been assaulted.

6. Point taken, Clive, I went back and re-read the story after I posted and realised that it didn't say he'd entered the house illegally... :oops:.

7. But doesn't sound as good if half the facts aren't advised :wink:

8. Because the assualt was only alleged. For all we know, the woman may have been having 'relations' with the assailant while the husband was asleep and he woke-up and wen't into a rage. The 'relations' may have been consentual, until the husband woke-up and the woman now claims assualt. The police may only have a he-said/she-said, so until verified it's only alleged.

9. 99.9% of the time the news is info-tainment and politico-tainment

10. it SHOULD be legal to kill an intruder(theif) if they attemp to kill you, it's always the victim(being the resident) that gets it hard, theif gets away without being charged if they survive etc.

it SHOULD be legal to use extreme force to an intruder(theif) if they don't get off you property or general stealing !!! EI; baseball bat to the head, cricket bat to the head, etc, etc.

in fact, if it was me I would of done the same thing the guy did to that re-pubic twat did, what comes around goes around, isn't that how it goes?

11. It is legal to use proportionate force to defend yourself. In other words, you can use the same level of force as is being used against you.

Got any evidence of burglars not being charged?

12. Yeah, I've been waiting for the legislation to come through that'll allow me to bash the gas man. Then when he's lying in the gutter I'll put my wallet in his hands and wait for the cops to come... That'll teach him for reading my meter...

:wink:

13. Oh look its Inspector Know it All, with all the facts :roll:

Go practice what you preach by not making assumptions :p

Cheers :cool:

14. If the law is an ass, then the media is the peraneum.

15. On a side note, I hate the overuse of the word allegedly! It's used even if it's a bloody fact!!! eg. the car was allegedly run into - it's not alleged, it bloody happened! Look! It's all smashed up!! End rant....

16. They just do that to cover themselves legally.......allegedly :oops: :grin: :grin: :grin:

17. Thats the word thats always used until you are proven guilty & convicted.
    The word from then on is replaced with words signifying you in fact DID kick
    someones ass. :LOL: