Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is the GOR safer for Motorcyclists since the "upgrades&

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by mjt57, Jan 12, 2008.

1. In today's Age there is this article on the GOR.

GOR Article

Since the upgrades have you either travelled on the GOR as much as you did in the past or have you avoided the region?

They say that motorcyclist deaths have halved since $15m has been spent on the place. However, when I rode the GOR in December (Anglesea to Apollo Bay), I didn't really notice anything different other than 80 klick signs along the route.

2. I would, but I dont get out that far. Such a city slicker :LOL:
  3. I have noticed resurfacing, widening, signage, etc, changes on this road.

The ONE statistic I wanted to see in this article is not stated:

How many motorcycle trips are made on this road now, compared with
    prior to 2004?

Half the number of motorcycle accidents, did that result from
    safety improvements or from deterring half of the motorcycle trips?
  4. They haven't spent much of that money on resurfacing.

Its mostly gone to the new 80 signs, and some barriers for cars, and new lines in places that didn't really need them....

Oh, and in that article, the accident that happend the other day, the guy died cause his son fell asleep at the wheel. It had nothing to do with the fact the road quality was poor.

I haven't noticed much change at all in the surface quality or road structure in the past 2 years i've lived here. Anglesea to lorne stretch is farily well maintained, but once you get about 20 mins past lorne the road can be very patchy and has lots of ripples from cars going too fast. This is where the money needs to be spent on resurfacing. But unfortunately, a large portion of the traffic just go to Anglesea/Lorne and turn back, so thats where most of the money is spent....
  5. Most self-respecting motorcyclists avoid the GOR nowadays, especially since it's now 80kph, infested with 5x the tourist traffic that it used be, and heavily policed to enforce the 80kph limits.

If bike deaths are halved, I believe it would predominantly be to a reduction in motorcycling traffic, especially between Anglesea and Lorne, and I hazard a good guess at reduced traffic between Lorne and Apollo Bay as well. The few times I've been down there, I've not seen 1/3rd the bike traffic that I used to some 10 years ago.

Statistics without adequate context can be used to prove almost ANY point that the data manipulator wishes to.

The only meaningful statistic when it comes to road death rates is deaths per million kms travelled, and deaths per trip, of whatever vehicle type. Of course, if these figures were trotted out, we'd have seen that the road death rate in Victoria has been declining steadily over the last 50 years, rather than remaining fairly stagnant in terms of absolute numbers.

Deaths per million kms scales is independent of the number of vehicles on the road as well. i.e. If there's 5x the vehicles on the road, and there's only twice as many deaths, then there's actually been a 60% reduction in the road death rate.
  6. GOR improvements include resurfacing a lot of the entry roads to eliminate gravel, some corner realignment, sealing car park entries to prevent loose material moving onto the road and installing traffic control devices at larger car parks.

There's also been realignment of car-park exits to improve visibility on the exits (for those tourists that bother to look).

Road surfacing has taken place in quite a few areas and corrugations removed. Aditionally there's been frangible posts introduced for signs and quite a few signs moved away from exit lines on corners.

To be honest, I can't see that reducing the speed limit would make much difference. You can't usually do the speed limit anyway given the crowds of tourists. I also notice that aout 10% of all crashes are international tourists - like the Yank a while back who pulled out onto the wrong side of the road on a hire bike and was killed in a head-on (ironically with another Yank tourist).