Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Is Telstra At It Again ??

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2up, Apr 7, 2009.

1. This came from another site so I dont know how accurate it is.
    Can anyone verify the info.

For all Australian respondents... Telstra Phone book

Hi everyone,

For anyone contemplating using the Sensis directory service number, 1234, DON'T!

Sensis, as you may or may not know, is a subsidiary of Telstra.
    The 1234 number is replacing the Telstra 12456 directory assistance number, but this time with outrageous costs attached: 40c to call the number, then 4c A SECOND!

By law, Telstra have to provide a FREE directory assistance number,
    because they are still majority owned by the government.
    They choose however not to pass this number on to the public...

What's the free number? 1223
    USE IT!

Thumbs down to Telstra for finding a way to 'charge', for a service that is supposed to be provided for free.
  2. The free number assistance has been around for years so it's true. I just don't know the number (never call assistance), call the number and find out :)
  3. Telstra do have to provide the free one - however they don't have to advertise it, so they advertise the paid one more heavily. They're a company, and they want to make money *shrugs*
  4. Interesting. So telstra publishes both those numbers. The fee based services just offer more features.

Oh and don't pass on chain emails. I've never EVER found one useful.
  5. I don't agree that its a complete waste of time, I never knew Telstra had a free assistance, but I've also never called 1234 either, as I knew it was a ripoff.
    Then again, I don't use Telstra at all, mostly due to their stupidly outrageous prices :evil:
  6. Care to read my post next time?
  7. Really !
    I thought the one helping the late Prince of Nigeria exiled from his country trying to gain his fortunes was pretty helpful !

8. Man that's an old email!! I first saw that about 4 years ago :shock: and was surprised that anyone had sent it at all as I'd always known there was a free service.

I guess not everyone still does :-k
  9. Im almost certain 1223 is not free on mobile phones. its approx $2.50 or so. but it is free for public phones and landlines
  10. iPhone, Safari, www.whitepages.com.au, search, find, tap screen, dial number.

Works all the time and for $20 for 1GB of data, that's a lot of phone number searches :p
  11. You guys have to PAY for your phone calls?

12. Too right. I helped an Afghani woman from being stoned to death because she saw her cousin in his undies.
  13. Love the new avatar Vic.
  14. Sounds almost stupid as people who have to work for money :p