Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

is something wrong with me???

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tmg, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Went for a ride after work this arvo - something I was very much looking forward to due to the christmas rush setting upon us at work this week.

I rocked up at my mates work (20 minutes late), and we headed off...already he was pulling away on the R6 of his.

This is the route we took:

Started at the Nambour end of bli-bli/nambour rd
    Up past the hospital and through the "sexy bends"
    Onto melany, then went on to montville and turned down Palmwoods/Melany rd.

I followed after him pretty much the whole way during the ride, except where I led along palmwoods/melany road - now that's a scary road when you're a newbie. The problem wasn't my mate, or the road...but me.

The whole time I felt like I constantly had my elbows locked and my legs were jelly (i.e. not gripping the tank) and I just felt so insecure on the bike going the speeds I did on the corners confronting me. I know I've only been riding for about a year - full on for about 5/6 months, and I also realise there's alot more years ahead of me of riding, which I wish to persue, but why whenever I ride with my mates, I feel obliged to try and prove myself to them?

Along the way I will gain more experience and a better attitude towards riding and being comfortable on the bike and knowing the road I am on will help too...anyone got any advice to help me out?
  2. You've asked and answered your own question. You say you feel like you're being pushed when riding in a group, and asking how can you be pressured less.

You need to care less. I don't ever like having people riding behind me unless they maintain a several second gap to demonstrate they are happy at my pace and don't want to overtake. Otherwise I wave them by - most of the time they probably are happy with the pace, but it distracts me, constantly looking back to check what they're doing, instead of just getting on with the job myself. Thats one of the reasons I'm at the back of most groups, that and a lack of skill and foolheartyness :)

I suggest that focus on what you're doing, and try to not care about the pressure. But I should take my own advice, as I still feel pressured having anyone ride close behind me, unless its clearly established that they just want to be there.
  3. well said Jared... Being pressured into doing stuff that your not comfortable doing is a recipe for disaster. People come off bikes doing stuff they are comfortable with,so imagine how many people come off when there doing stuff there not comfortable doing! Just remember that next time your in a group, even if you do fall behind, you wont lose them, and you will still enjoy the ride....
  4. YES trying to keep up is a fools' act, you will hurt yourself.

Your mate will wait for you at the next turn-off, and he will be happier
    with you riding at a safe pace than if he has to scrape you off the side of
    the road.

A famous superbike trainer (Keith Code) once said (approximately):
    "You can learn a lot about how to ride better when you are pushing
    75% of your limits. With the other 25% of your brain you can
    relax, and examine how you ride, and
    think about how to do it better.
    But when you are pushing 100% of your limits
    you will not learn anything because you're using 100%
    effort just desperately hanging on.
    Ride at max 75% of your limits and you'll soon get better so that
    you are now faster at 75%, than you used to be at 100%."
  5. i have a problem, (only really ride alone), with being fearful of what my bike is capable of. i'd like someone to have a ride of it.... (rear bearings and brake pads i don't have 100% confidence in)....

my problem is i end up throttling too unsteadily through corners because i'm not sure how far i can tip th bike in. i nearly always oversteer/understeer/oversteer.

i could keep a line at the pace i go into the corners, but it's too slow. i don't mean "i'm trying to race" slow, i mean "my bike is suited to a track bike you can lean the f'n thing over boy" slow.

i know i need a lot more experience before i get a knee down but i can't even get to 50% of my limits because i don't want to be in a situation where i understeer and drop it.

basically i'm a pretty poor twisties rider. i'm a good (but cocky), city rider though. unfortunately i have 2 mindsets, the behave one, and the i really don't gaf and ain't gonna think. that's the one that gets me fairfield to altona in about 17 minutes.
  6. Its better to be known as a slow rider, then remembered as a fast one. Take it at your own speed, push yourself, but not to keep up with your friends, but to better your own riding. It doesnt matter how fast they are going.
  7. Hmmm, Palmwoods.

Lots of crests, blind corners and off-camber road. I do know other people aren't terribly fond of those roads.

Take it easy!!
  8. yeah I don't really like the palmwoods road. it needs work done to it so badly - i.e. the whole damn thing ripped up, made 5 foot wider the whole way between palmwoods and montville, and all corners made to be "on camber" :LOL: that'd be sweet as then!

But yeah, that's probably a road I won't be taking often. I am glad I did though, but not again any time soon.

I like riding alone, but there's something about going up the range that needs more than just me, riding up there with mates is fun.

I will be trying to find new roads to go on for sunday, as I want to get out and practice some more and get to know my limits and my bike (not the bikes limits!) better...and now to google earth! :LOL:
  9. It's simple really...RIDE YOUR OWN RIDE.

It's very easy to get caught up in the "keep up" mindset...that takes you beyond your comfort levels and you start to lose form...then you crash!.

If your mate won't slow down a bit for you, then simply let him go - tell him you'll meet him there, and ride at your own pace.
  10. Either takes an intermediate HART course to get yourself sorted out, or give me a yell via PM...I'm happy to Mentor you for a ride or two.

You REALLY need to get your cornering sorted out.
  11. The HART course is good plus get twist of the wrist 2 or total control by lee parks and have a read. The poms call what you are doing 50pencing cause your line is like a 50c piece instead of a smooth curve.

You want one steering input per corner! Pick a turning point as you approach the corner, look through the corner then tip it in as you get to your spot. I still ride like a nanna but this works for me and the bike feels like its on rails.
  12. Sounds oddly familiar ;)
  13. thats one hell of a saying haha :) really made me think aout how i ride though, i dont ride to my limits but i do examin how i do ride, so i suppose its right. what a cool dude :p
  14. I'll just repeat what most people have already said

My husband went on his first group ride up Mt Tamborine in 2002 with my brother and his mates. All I heard from my brother is that my husband was way too slow and they kept slowing down so they didn't lose him. My husband said he rode to the speed limit, took it easy on the hairpin turns and didn't let them rush him, and then road home by himself, feeling more comfortable because there was no longer any pressure to perform.

The family used to say "Paul's bike goes PUTT PUTT, Wayne's bike goes VROOM". Well five years later, Paul's bike goes as fast as he wants it to, and Wayne has totalled 2 bikes, and many of his mates have crashed too.

Take it easy, ride to your ability, to the bikes ability and to road conditions, stuff everyone else - it's your life in your hands.